The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAW for stupid people?? Audacity on steroids??
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Personally, I'd prefer... 1) Acoustic guitar rhythm track first 2) Acoustic guitar melody 2nd. 3) Bass guitar 3rd.
4) Lead vocal 5) Harmony and/or BGV's if any.
Chris
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Personally, I'd prefer... 1) Acoustic guitar rhythm track first 2) Acoustic guitar melody 2nd. 3) Bass guitar 3rd.
4) Lead vocal 5) Harmony and/or BGV's if any.
Chris
Thanks for that. I like bass last because I can react to get a proper phrasing or leave space for the rest of it.
The main issue though, is getting all the tracks synced & locked in place. I just lack the knowledge to get it done.
B.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M.A. View Post
Hey guys!!

I've written a ton of material and am going to attempt to record it myself. I am really bad at using DAWS. Like, really bad...

I've been using Audacity as basically a sketch pad and would continue to use it for finals, but IT CAN'T MULTITRACK!!! The most awesome features of Audacity are the Tempo Adjustment and the Click Track. Sooo easy...

I downloaded REASON, but that doesn't have a click feature like Audacity. It has something called a metronome, which doesn't make itself into an individual track and is difficult to use...

I've been working in protools at a friends house and that is actually much more like Audacity. They have a light version, but $30 a month and i think it might be too much for my needs.

What is the most bonehead easy program that will print visible click tracks that has a simple tempo adjustment feature and can multitrack? Think of a digital tape machine with wheels...

Sorry for the post guys. It hurt me more than it hurt you...
When I ran away from PT and decided on a new path we went with studio one pro... and I’m stupid as [email protected]
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Agree, with the exception that you're actually a smart cookie...
Chris
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

When I closed the door on windows and mac - freedom finally came. Where you can address and fix any possible problem that might arise you do not feel hostage.
Old 29th May 2020
Bumping this old thread.
I’m late to it but how is Audacity working for the OP today?
I have a version of Audacity that I found on the net years ago. It is a ported version to allow ASIO, which violates both Steinberg patent and the user agreement for the open source.
Personal use only, I’m not a pro.
Thank you, great read.

Last edited by Andrew Bacon; 31st May 2020 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: typo typo
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bacon View Post
Bumping this old thread.
I have a version of Audacity that I found on the net years ago. It is a ported version to allow ASIO, which violates both Stienberg patent and the user agreement for the open source.
Thank you, great read.
Yea some great threads on the GS! I use Linux Audacity - and use it as a quick secondary editor in Reaper Native Linux. I like a few of the CALF audio plugins... when I am looking to quickly find a better sound in producing a song. That is a cool version. I will have to check some of my old PCs ~ tc
Old 31st May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
sound in producing a song. That is a cool version. I will have to check some of my old PCs ~ tc
Cool man, I dug out this 2013 laptop with Win. 8.1 and that Audacity port I mentioned, which is v. 2.3.2 btw.
Fired it up, ignored windows having a fit for being homesick (can’t phone home)
Launched Audacity and it was ready to work without a fuss in 3 seconds.
Then I updated Windows like a good boy. Rock on!
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool man, I dug out this 2013 laptop with Win. 8.1 and that Audacity port I mentioned, which is v. 2.3.2 btw.
Fired it up, ignored windows having a fit for being homesick (can’t phone home)
Launched Audacity and it was ready to work without a fuss in 3 seconds.
Then I updated Windows like a good boy. Rock on!
Windows 8.0 is the worst... 8.1 is a little bettter but if it works - Yea man. Many wni8 clear coated capacitor batteries so you could not load anything but win... lil weasels/// just scrape it off and voila... good goin man!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Bumping this old thread.
I have a version of Audacity that I found on the net years ago. It is a ported version to allow ASIO, which violates both Steinberg patent and the user agreement for the open source.
Thank you, great read.
YYYYOOO!!!

Audacity is working great!

BUT... I have recently run into a few issues:

1. As far as I can tell (I actually posted a thread on the AUDACITY forum about this just last night...) there is no way to multitrack without each track sharing the same volume fader. Like, you can track as many mics as you want, but all of the tracks will share the SAME fader. That is a bummer for me because I hate to hear the DI when I'm tracking. So, that's just kind of annoying...

2. The wave form changes slightly (it's audible to me) when you merge sections together. Like, if you mess up a part on one take and then cut it from another take and merge it, the wave form changes... I consider this a HUGE drawback... Not sure if that happens in all audio programs or not, but I super, super hate that... I know it's not just in my head. You can zoom in and see that the wave form has changed after you merge... Maybe the fact that it "sounds" different is in my head?? I don't know... Chime in anyone who can inform me on this...

3. No onboard chorous effect! Wheres my chorous at??!! At least I can't find one... I'm sure there is a quick plug-in for a nice one somewhere...

Those are the only big drawbacks that I'm trying to figure out currently.

BONUS/ PROS

1. The latency on Audacity is almost flawless. Next to zero latency in my experience and still going strong.

2. Awesome fidelity at 96khz. Yeah...

3. BPM label maker plug-in is a frickin GAME CHANGER. You can do a song with a million different BPM's and then cut and splice exactly. It's great

4. Onboard Compressor is perfect for down and dirty scratch. Very nice onboard compression if you ask me. I like the ECHO effect as well...

5. Zoom in and Zoom out, very nice, nice drag and drop feature, easy, non fatiguing interface. Workability of audacity to me is second to none. AND -which I don't think should be understated -The support for this freeware program is great! Typically, very prompt replies from the people on the support forum...

I currently use Audacity everyday. However, if I can't figure out how to multi track with each track having it's own panning and volume controls, I may have to look into another program. This is a huge drawback for me. I will try and figure it out and let ya'll know!!

CHEERS!

-T>M>A
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M.A. View Post
Audacity is working great!
..you can track as many mics as you want, but all of the tracks will share the SAME fader. That is a bummer for me because I hate to hear the DI when I'm tracking. So..
-T>M>A
Good to know you are still enjoying it!

Some people don’t understand or don’t care that it is what is NOT happening in memory that makes for a low bandwidth demand on the OS, and therefore inherently provides a low latency environment to and from an interface.
I say! If SQ is all that counts, I prefer performance to fireworks.
And it’s free. No bloat, no keys no locs.
I rarely need a DAW but when I do..

At risk of sounding obvious, I’d suggest the pan and fader for each track is to the left of the timeline for said track; these can be collapsed and out of view.

You are using it more often and thoroughly than I ever have, and my hat is off to you sir.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You know I learn things old school... and when I want a GOOD high frequency recording of high frequency instrument (like cymbals) rule of thumb at least 5 to 10 times the hertz... AND audacity records all day long at 384khertz... talk about nice cymbal sounds. I do not like doing this in my DAW because it is usually just on short track of 384k. And Audacity as second editor - click Audacity opens - click record on Audacity - click into my DAW. sweet.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear