The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PT Recording Unexpectedly Cut Short -- Explanations?
Old 4th September 2019
Here for the gear

PT Recording Unexpectedly Cut Short -- Explanations?

About a month ago, I recorded an audiobook for a client in their home in Pro Tools 12. 8 chapters, around a dozen hours of recording. I'm currently editing the sessions and discovered that the recorded file for the 7th chapter was unexpectedly cut off.

I've attached a bounce of the final second or so of that file. There's a little click that cuts off the narrator in mid-sentence.

I know there are all kinds of things that could cause a recording to stop. What's strange about this to me is that I was monitoring the recording on headphones the whole time and giving notes to the narrator. I was aware of very minor sounds (rubbing hands, scrolling on a computer) and absolutely would have heard this. Moreover, there were 20-30 minutes left to go in this chapter, which we completed as I continued to monitor. Then we recorded another chapter (on a separate track) in the same session on the same day without incident.

Is anyone aware of a situation in which Pro Tools cuts off recording without giving an error message? And in which it continues to let the user monitor without interruption?

I've checked the "Audio Files" folder in the session, and the only file for this chapter is the one already on the timeline, "Chapter 7_01". It cuts off at the same spot.

Any tips on recovering the lost audio, or at least preventing this from happening again? Thanks for your help.
Old 4th September 2019
Here for the gear

Follow-up: one thing I just noticed is that the file in question, "Chapter 7_01", is EXACTLY the same length, down to the byte, as the previous file "Chapter 6_01". So my theory is that some weird bug forced chapter 7 down in size, cutting it off?
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboree View Post
Follow-up: one thing I just noticed is that the file in question, "Chapter 7_01", is EXACTLY the same length, down to the byte, as the previous file "Chapter 6_01". So my theory is that some weird bug forced chapter 7 down in size, cutting it off?
Are these chapters of audio stacked in different tracks but occupying the same timeline areas? You could have had the Chapter 6 selected when you started record. It would then end recording at the same point in time (as the locators would be moved to the edges of the Chapter 6 region.)

How did you monitor? Direct monitoring from an audio interface? A good practice is to keep input enable and recording linked in preferences by having "Disable Input when Disarming Track" checked. That way you hear all audio drop on the input if it stops recording the microphone.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You could have had the Chapter 6 selected when you started record.
That would be my guess too, I make this mistake occasionally

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search