The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
full protools Install on Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

full protools Install on Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine

I recently installed protools first on a Microsoft V.M. during my AZURE trial and I have to say it works. I want to go ahead a bit further and figure out how to integrate ilok cloud with azure and load a full session with plugins.

1. So anyone maybe do this already and I missed the thread?

2. if there is no thread but experienced people that understand this would you help me on a few questions for Microsoft Azure support?

Ty so much for your time and consideration. Oh and ty Gearslutz for the cool badge

cheers,
Marc
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear
I can't imagine what that would be good for, except of challenge.
For normal DAW work (eg. not just some bouncing, conversions, off-line rendering) you always need tightly scheduled real-time I/Os to audio interface.
That's also the reason, why in most cases DAWs sucks in VMs.. except of pretty much direct use of hardware in host server via IOMMU. Even with that, there can be issues with DAW engine and scheduling between several VM running under hypervisor.
Under normal circumstances with physical computer, if you want to optimize it for good DAW performance, you typically defeat all power saving features and ideally run CPU at pretty much fixed clock to avoid transitional states, which hurts deterministic latency performance. Some DAWs are more sensitive to that, for instance with PT on Windows with infamous DAE errors. Now imagine how that will work, if you share physical CPUs via hypervisor running several VMs at once.

So honestly I'm pretty skeptical about that. If I would need some remote access to projects on main DAW, while on the road, I'd probably setup some kind of VPN to my main computer. Of course it could bring some other challenges as well, like sufficient upload speed at particular internet connection or remote powering of the computer from VPN (but that can be handled via WOL packets, when set correctly), redirection of audio playback using some audio streaming. Even with that, I'd likely see that as easier route than running DW in VM in generic cloud provider.

Anyway if you need to access virtualized physical iLok dongle (for instance, if you don't have all protected software at iLok Cloud), then https://www.virtualhere.com/ works for that. You even can kind of "switch" (dongle can't be connected to several computers at once) between VM and your normal physical DAW.

Michal
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Ok well that was the answer I was looking for. If you dont mind im going to look up and reference all that you said. I want to get back too you just give me a few to make sure I get the "spread" of your knowledgeable response Again ty I love this place for this.
Cheers,
Marc,
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search