The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Having Trouble w/ Varispeed in PT
Old 23rd August 2019
Here for the gear

Having Trouble w/ Varispeed in PT

Hi everyone. I'm running PT 12.8.3 and I'm having a hell of a time getting Varispeed to function how I think it should. Very basically, I'm trying to slow down all my tracks by a bit, in order to record something slower, then bring it back up to normal speed and have that newly recorded track match up to the tempo...AND the pitch.

I've done this before and have been doing it for awhile in Logic also, with no problems. For some reason though, when I do this tape machine slow down trick in Pro Tools and bring the tempo back up, the track matches the timing, but the pitch doesn't come up. It basically time shifts, but doesn't pitch shift. I've been losing my mind trying to figure it out for two days now.

Here's what I do. Select all my tracks, hold Option and change all the tracks to "Ticks". Then, holding Option, I change all the tracks to "Varispeed". Sometimes, previously recorded audio parts don't pitch down when I slow the track down. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but audio doesn't want to flex pitch when I change tempo.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2OGnpZ6ud4

I've followed it to a T, but the problem persists. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Cheers.
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudabux View Post
Hi everyone. I'm running PT 12.8.3 and I'm having a hell of a time getting Varispeed to function how I think it should. Very basically, I'm trying to slow down all my tracks by a bit, in order to record something slower, then bring it back up to normal speed and have that newly recorded track match up to the tempo...AND the pitch.

I've done this before and have been doing it for awhile in Logic also, with no problems. For some reason though, when I do this tape machine slow down trick in Pro Tools and bring the tempo back up, the track matches the timing, but the pitch doesn't come up. It basically time shifts, but doesn't pitch shift. I've been losing my mind trying to figure it out for two days now.

Here's what I do. Select all my tracks, hold Option and change all the tracks to "Ticks". Then, holding Option, I change all the tracks to "Varispeed". Sometimes, previously recorded audio parts don't pitch down when I slow the track down. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but audio doesn't want to flex pitch when I change tempo.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2OGnpZ6ud4

I've followed it to a T, but the problem persists. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Cheers.
i just tested here .. using PT 19.6.0.370 on a macbook pro running mojave 10.14.6

and it is working as it should .. the pitch changes correctly .. for a moment i thought this was going to be a Vanila vs Ultimate thing ..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search