The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
fresh install HD10 and logic pro x 10.0.6
Old 14th August 2019
fresh install HD10 and logic pro x 10.0.6

Problems and solutions Pro Tools and Logic on the same MAC Pro sync with IAC.
mac pro 2010 12 core 3.33 x 2 48gb ram
A fresh install on SSD drive Mac Pro 5,1.
Protools 10 HD on Mountain Lion 10.8.5 so my control 24 is still in use.
**** me then 12 hours wasted trying to get logic pro in, it would get to password after essential file download then crash. Same software as 4 years before why why why??

1] Because Avid / PTools ask you to disable spotlight in their optimising notes. BIG MISTAKE Logic pro X will never finish the install as it cannot find the "essentials" files you just spent 5 (non fibre optic) hours downloading. Spotlight MUST BE ON TO INSTALL LOGIC

2] Logic on default install will not have Sync / Core Audio on 'freewheel". Put it on "freewheel" otherwise you will get the audio clock dragging the whole timing thing down in conflict.

3] MOTU XT EXPRESS (or any midi interface) make sure it's not feeding smpte or mtc back to the PC. I have it on internal timing and on inputs mute: realtime, MTC midi clock. patch change, Sys Ex. Again if this puts smpte back in the mac you will get "new smpte rate detected" errors from Logic. Basically on midi inputs via clockwork I only allow notes and performance control info(benders, sliders, etc) to pass. Also stops loops on the hardware synth side if you have an arp or beat clock generated it is so easy to get an unwanted midi/ clock loop. Usually the cause of **** midi timing complaints/overload

UAD APOLLO 16 SILVER Firewire latest uad driver that works 8.4
set UAD to 84 percent firewire use if nothing else on firewire. Turn fire wire networking off

Ptools hd 10 - Well its HD10

logic pro X - latest that works on Mountain Lion Logic pro X 10.0.06

Mountain Lion 10.8.5

MOTU EXPRESS XT and get the legacy drivers

ORDER OF PLAY

Install Mountain Lion turn off firewall KEEP SPOTLIGHT ON

reboot turn Apollo on BEFORE installing UAD software
TURN AUTO UPDATES OFF

load uad software shut MAC down and apollo off

Apollo on mac boot , install Xt express drivers make sure IAC bus 1 is active (or logic will not follow ptools MTC later on) update or load midi maps or configure inside MAc Audio Midi app INSTALL CLOCKWORKS MOTU

Reboot
Ilok install software configure
reboot
Install ptools
re boot
open ptools - close ptools reboot

install Logic then the essentials down load then password then reboot

open logic - close logic reboot

Now all should be well again I opened a archived song into ptools opened logic all midi outboard drives and all works as it should.

At this point turn on time machine back the drive up (or alternatively clone the start up drive) then turn time machine off again. I use CCC no time machine.

Tun off spotlight for hdd 2 and hdd3 these should be your audio and song data drives.
I only have the apps on system drive ssd 1,

I always record to HDD drive 2 .

At the end of each session save to HDD2 then save as to drive 3 clicking used audio files plugins etc

obviously if you are using HD10 You know what you are at already so I WILL SPARE YOU ALL THE BOLLOX ABOUT Display SLEEP OFF, HDD SLEEP OFF ETC.

Workflow
Logic runs midi and sketching. I only use the Steinway out of Logic and occasional drums no other audio.
All hardware outboard synths n guitars via Apollo 16 (if mixing in the box Apollo 4 is all you need).
Recorded into and mixed with Protools, it is such a fast intuitive workflow. If you have used large format consoles its basically the same.
My Control 24 *king expensive mouse, I only use it for transport, automated faders. automation, loop pre roll go to etc. NO MONITORING OR Audio and to be honest for Plugins control I am faster with my architects trackball on the Mac.
MIXING I have a 24 channel desk but of late have moved to ITB, I commit hardware Eq SSL strip, Compression BSS 402 on the way in. Reverb I have lex plugins and outboard TC 4000r, an Eventide H8000 and a genuine TC 2290 delay. But delay is so easy to emulate well with a plugin that might be going. I also have a genuine rack Roland hardware chorus flanger but The UAD Roland/Brigade chorus is so good that might be going too.

CV gate vs midi I have some very nice analogues inc JP4(chd midi), Jp6(encore midi), JP8(Kenton Midi), (JP4 is my favourite), P5 Moog xpander etc.
Motu xtexpres - If you only have one synth per port, on its own midi channel XT has 8 ports, After I initially set my round robin latency (only once in preferences at install) my midi analogue audio is coming in bang on the audio grid bang in line with the sent notes on the midi grid.

You do not need or will not gain with CV gate (unless your synth only has cv gate control).

Yes, I too suffered midi glitches and jitter back in the day (1980's) trying to send too much **** down one midi port then thru and daisy chained to death from my overloaded Atari 1024(incidentally Atari best midi timing ever), AND . . . if you are using a midi driven cv gate you are already dependent on mtc at the front end anyway so let's shoot this horse once and for all.

PS I love an all analogue CV gate sequencer going into cv gates more than the next man!
But in 2019 a properly configured PTools logic DAW will give you bang on midi timing.

Try and get back and focus on the music, don't get lost in 12 million drum and synth on board sounds.

I am in love with Carbon Copy Clone. If you want a fast recovery it is essential. I have my basic hdd M Lion install cloned to a CCC partition recovery disk. Next I have my first working fresh instal OSX Ptools Logic pro with keylock XTexpress, UAD drivers in and LEX plugins in to another CCC partition. I lost an expensive ssd drive the other day and boy did I regret not doing what I did this week with CCC, Basically cost a week on and off of programming, inc syncing offsets in my audio and midi to bang on.!!!! With a cloned drive I can have my whole install back up and running in an hour on a new virgin replacement system drive. I hopes the above helps some of you save some time. The spotlight issue on Logic x install had me stumped for over a day.
The smpte looping back in from the external midi interface drove me crazy. Dragged all Logic timing down when using Logic as my master sync clock.

Clock - audio I use the UAD Apollo 16 internal .
Clock - MAC I let Protools drive, Ptools sends the MTC etc to sync Logic , Motu and all external synths to it.
There are many ways to skin this chicken but the above is a real world way that has worked fore me for 5 years.

Last edited by Analogue rocks; 2 weeks ago at 11:21 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search