The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Advice for Broadcasting School re: Digidesign D-Control Icon surface
Old 28th July 2019
Here for the gear

Advice for Broadcasting School re: Digidesign D-Control Icon surface

Hi all,

We are a small tertiary institute in New Zealand. We have a ProTools suite, running 2018.3 on a 2018 iMac. We have an 8 channel surface, but our M-Box recently died. We are using a Big Knob, but it isn't ideal. We usually record only a voice or a few instruments at a time. We mix multi track audio for video, sent from Media Composer. Short dramas, docos etc. We are keen to get students to try 5.1 mixing. We have been offered a used D-Control Icon 8 channel surface, with the X-Mon unit, but without the 192 I/O. I am also looking at a used Avid C24 with Analog I/O.

My question is - which unit would be better for allowing students to learn protools? It seems the 192 may be tricky to connect to our iMac, and without a 192 it may be little use. Would the C24 be easy to connect to an iMac?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.
Old 29th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0100 View Post
Hi all,

We are a small tertiary institute in New Zealand. We have a ProTools suite, running 2018.3 on a 2018 iMac. We have an 8 channel surface, but our M-Box recently died. We are using a Big Knob, but it isn't ideal. We usually record only a voice or a few instruments at a time. We mix multi track audio for video, sent from Media Composer. Short dramas, docos etc. We are keen to get students to try 5.1 mixing. We have been offered a used D-Control Icon 8 channel surface, with the X-Mon unit, but without the 192 I/O. I am also looking at a used Avid C24 with Analog I/O.

My question is - which unit would be better for allowing students to learn protools? It seems the 192 may be tricky to connect to our iMac, and without a 192 it may be little use. Would the C24 be easy to connect to an iMac?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.
The boxes you're talking about are control surfaces, not interfaces. You still need a way of getting audio io in and out of the computer.

You don't need a control surface to mix 5.1, you have the software you just need an 8 channel interface.
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The boxes you're talking about are control surfaces, not interfaces. You still need a way of getting audio io in and out of the computer.

You don't need a control surface to mix 5.1, you have the software you just need an 8 channel interface.
Thanks. I take it the 192 I/O won't connect to an iMac via thunderbolt, so is there an interface which you could recommend? Should I replace the Mbox?
Old 29th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0100 View Post
Thanks. I take it the 192 I/O won't connect to an iMac via thunderbolt, so is there an interface which you could recommend? Should I replace the Mbox?
I've messaged you - check your mailbox!
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

C/24 is ethernet so it will connect to any Mac. On the cheap for PT interfaces you can probably get an 11 rack for next to nothing.
Old 30th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
On the cheap for PT interfaces you can probably get an 11 rack for next to nothing.
The 11 is stereo out only so no good for surround.

You don't need a PT interface anymore of course - any Coreaudio compatible 8 channel interface will work.
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The 11 is stereo out only so no good for surround.

You don't need a PT interface anymore of course - any Coreaudio compatible 8 channel interface will work.
doh! I missed the surround part! and for vanilla any 8 out interface will do
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

I would go with the Icon as it's designed for surround monitoring.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search