The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bounce to disc, but only FX Return?
Old 22nd July 2019
Here for the gear

Bounce to disc, but only FX Return?

Hey guys,

I am preparing an ear play for a 3D audio installation. The session was pre-mixed in stereo (in the box, through the master stereo output 1-2). Right now, I am bouncing all kinds of tracks to disc, because later I need to create a new session which features 32 mono outputs on busses via madi into a 3D converter.

I need to perform one simple step, but can't figure out how to: Bouncing my Effect Returns solo through the masterbus (there's a little processing on the 2bus) without hearing the track that is feeding the effect. I have mostly post-fader aux sends, so pre-fader won't work, because it will mess up the send levels of the different sending tracks. I cannot find a pre-mute button for the aux sends - that would help. I have one work araound: assigning the aux-feeding track output to an unused bus (that is going "nowhere") while bouncing. Or else: recording the output of the Effect Return Bus into a new track, but this needs to be performed online (time consuming) and I miss the master bus processing.

so my question: Is there a pre-mute aux send? Anything I clearly overlook? I am afraid so..

Thanks for helping out!
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrturtur View Post
Hey guys,

I am preparing an ear play for a 3D audio installation. The session was pre-mixed in stereo (in the box, through the master stereo output 1-2). Right now, I am bouncing all kinds of tracks to disc, because later I need to create a new session which features 32 mono outputs on busses via madi into a 3D converter.

I need to perform one simple step, but can't figure out how to: Bouncing my Effect Returns solo through the masterbus (there's a little processing on the 2bus) without hearing the track that is feeding the effect. I have mostly post-fader aux sends, so pre-fader won't work, because it will mess up the send levels of the different sending tracks. I cannot find a pre-mute button for the aux sends - that would help. I have one work araound: assigning the aux-feeding track output to an unused bus (that is going "nowhere") while bouncing. Or else: recording the output of the Effect Return Bus into a new track, but this needs to be performed online (time consuming) and I miss the master bus processing.

so my question: Is there a pre-mute aux send? Anything I clearly overlook? I am afraid so..

Thanks for helping out!
have you tried changing your Solo to AFL (after fader listen) and then bouncing ???

this way you would only hear the FX returns ..
Old 22nd July 2019
Here for the gear

HERE we go! Thought of everything but Solo options... double and thanks! :-)
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrturtur View Post
HERE we go! Thought of everything but Solo options... double and thanks! :-)
happy to help !!
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

No. AFL is not a solution. AFL directs the audio to the AFL(and PFL) path set in I/O setup so it will be a different path than your SIP solo. You will not have the same mix.
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

A solution is assign all your audio source tracks to a bus ("SOURCE") and then route that bus to the master bus. Then put a masterfader track on the SOURCE bus and mute it. Have your effects Aux tracks route to another bus ("EFX") and then route that to the master bus leaving that unmuted.

The difference here from your first idea is there is not a bus that goes "nowhere." Pro Tools doesn't like outputs/busses that go nowhere and has/will screw up delay compensation. Always have your outputs/busses go somewhere. In this case, the routing just puts an intermediary bus you can mute after the send has already happened.

Last edited by pentagon; 22nd July 2019 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
No. AFL is not a solution. AFL directs the audio to the AFL(and PFL) path set in I/O setup so it will be a different path than your SIP solo. You will not have the same mix.
hi, works here just fine a few ways ..

1) AFL the aux track (mine AFL/PFL path is set for same as main out) and select bounce from Main out

2) select Bounce from Track Name Menu ..

even NOT solo'd i can bounce just the AUx Track via Track Menu ...

3) i adjusted my I/O for AFL/PFL path to be output 3/4 instead of 1/2 ... and it still works from the track menu

what am i doing wrong that it should NOT work ????

cheers john
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hi, works here just fine a few ways ..

1) AFL the aux track (mine AFL/PFL path is set for same as main out) and select bounce from Main out

2) select Bounce from Track Name Menu ..

even NOT solo'd i can bounce just the AUx Track via Track Menu ...

3) i adjusted my I/O for AFL/PFL path to be output 3/4 instead of 1/2 ... and it still works from the track menu

what am i doing wrong that it should NOT work ????

cheers john
AFL/PFL go straight to the output assigned for the AFL/PFL output. They will not go through a master bus setup.

In some situations it will work but in many it won't because of the project routing.

You can bounce any bus (so any bus assigned to the Aux would work.) But AFL/PFL solo is not the solution. Just the normal bounce options. As we don't know what the OP is using for the Aux output bus, this may not be a solution. If it is separately assigned, it would be. If it is shared with other aux sends, the other sends could be muted to split the aux print (an inverse solo solution; mute others instead of soloing the one)

This isn't a point of will it bounce. This is a point of will it bounce the same as the master mix. AFL/PFL (unless using simple routing) solo will not.
Old 30th July 2019
I’d create 2 additional six channels - maybe labelled “direct” and “fx“. Route the FX you want to bounce to the latter, everything else to the former. Route both of these to your mix buss.

Thus far the mix should sound “the same”.

Mute the “direct” and print the result.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search