The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Instrument Track in Pro Tools 12
Old 19th July 2019
Here for the gear
Instrument Track in Pro Tools 12

Hello

I have Pro Tools 12 on a MacBook. I want to try and finally use midi. I watched a video on this and it said creating a midi track is outdated and that you should use an instrument track and then bring in an instrument plugin on an insert for the sound. I did this and am realizing I have nothing in the instrument folder of plugins. Does anyone know if I was entitled to any freebie instrument plugs when I purchased PT12? I went and logged onto Avid and went to downloads and there’s a few things there...one of them is like some plugin bundle. Not sure what is in it and don’t want to mess my current setup up. I’ve seen things regarding Air instruments and Xpand!2, etc. online. Not sure how to get these. Anyone who knows a lot about this and can demystify it, I would appreciate. Thanks
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear
Those Air instruments etc are in your Avid account under the Pro Tools software tab.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Tools-install
Old 19th July 2019
Here for the gear
Really? Thanks so much!
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear
No problem.
Old 20th July 2019
Here for the gear
Thank you again! I am really having a great time with this stuff. I can’t believe it’s been sitting there all this time. This xpand2 has a million sounds. Really fun. Thanks for taking the time to point me here
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Not sure if "Hybrid 3 synth" is included in the Air bundle. Double check.
If not, then its available for knock down price at 'Plug in Boutique" under $15
Stock it comes with over 1,200 presets
Expansions are also available.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ.../1545-Hybrid-3

https://www.pluginboutique.com/meta_products/2503

You could wait a few months for Black Friday and get it for $1.. yep $1 on the black friday deals. I think the expansion are $1 as well

Check out the Youtube vids
Old 22nd July 2019
BTW, using a MIDI track is anything but outdated. as an example, when i run a full orchestration VI setup, i can have 3-4 midi tracks just for the different Violin articulations. Amplify that with all the other strings, brass winds and such and now i can have up to 50+ midi tracks. Instead of running 50 instances of orchestration plugins, i break it down in to sections so i can have 1-2 instances for strings, 1-2 for brass, 1-2 winds and 1 for percussion. It seems less system intensive to do this and i still have the flexibility to adjust each instrument with it's articulation.

I also run everything through VEP so i'm only using MIDI tracks to trigger my VI's since they are external of PT's.
Old 30th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethbyoogabooga View Post
BTW, using a MIDI track is anything but outdated. as an example, when i run a full orchestration VI setup, i can have 3-4 midi tracks just for the different Violin articulations. Amplify that with all the other strings, brass winds and such and now i can have up to 50+ midi tracks. Instead of running 50 instances of orchestration plugins, i break it down in to sections so i can have 1-2 instances for strings, 1-2 for brass, 1-2 winds and 1 for percussion. It seems less system intensive to do this and i still have the flexibility to adjust each instrument with it's articulation.

I also run everything through VEP so i'm only using MIDI tracks to trigger my VI's since they are external of PT's.
Not to mention if you’re using (gasp) something called a “hardware” synth. Like a plug-in only heavier

But give the guy a chance - he’s only just discovered Xpand2!
Old 22nd August 2019
RiF
Lives for gear

Sometimes when I am using an Instrument track, the MIDI on the track just refuses playing the inserted instrument plugin. Mostly after closing the session (where it still worked) and opening it back the next day (where it suddenly does not). Arrggghhh... industry standard.... Arggghhh....

So I am always using a separate MIDI track feeding the MIDI into the instrument plugin on an Aux track. This always works.

And I like to have the option of dividing up the MIDI onto several MIDI tracks all feeding the same instruments. Similar to what dethbyoogabooga said, but mostly for drums or for visually dividing up sections into different MIDI tracks for easier navigation.
Old 23rd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Sometimes when I am using an Instrument track, the MIDI on the track just refuses playing the inserted instrument plugin. Mostly after closing the session (where it still worked) and opening it back the next day (where it suddenly does not). Arrggghhh... industry standard.... Arggghhh....

So I am always using a separate MIDI track feeding the MIDI into the instrument plugin on an Aux track. This always works.

And I like to have the option of dividing up the MIDI onto several MIDI tracks all feeding the same instruments. Similar to what dethbyoogabooga said, but mostly for drums or for visually dividing up sections into different MIDI tracks for easier navigation.
Occasionally I’ve found reopening a session, the instrument track is not routing to its own instrument - which is easily rectified in the instrument properties subpane, but it is annoying!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search