The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pt 2019: 2013 ashtray or 2019 mini?
Old 19th July 2019
Here for the gear

Question Pt 2019: 2013 ashtray or 2019 mini?

Hey yall

Ive been using cubase and digital performer mostly on my mid-2015 macbook pro w 2.8 upgrade, 16g ram (max), 500gb ssd. I have a 28 core UAD thunderbolt2 system (16, 8p, oct sat x2, twin) so mostly run plugs there except altiverb and a few brainworx, waves and pspaudio plugs i just cant live without.

Recently I needed to interface directly with a partner studio tracking while i produced initial live sess, then i took his pro tools sessions to my suite in our complex. So rather than importing 2,000+ files into cubase and rebuilding those complicated sessions from pro tools, or hey! Ill just resubscribe and use the native client!

Waht waht

Did all the setups and configurations and any optimizations i could find. Got it set up...client comesin to overdub 2 channels of leslie onto a pt session with maybe 30-40 channels, but NO plugs other than bus verb on uad, and...

Waht waht

Audio buffer errors stopping the recording...

Researched...

Did thingslike shut off wifi, disconnect external stuff, unplug external screens, etc. I can record 2 44.1/24 mono files without buffer errors if i use laptop and uad chain and external ssd ONLY. Really sucks...

More research....

I read MANY mbp w pro tools users w same probs. I notice when running pt, my 8 cores are fine, very low on the pt meters. But loading PT *only* uses 87% of memory. Maybe the issue is there. Im guessing theres s lot of “spongy code” in the native porting process, core audio libs using 1/50th of the lib but compiling anyway, etc

Anyhooooo

Im thinking to fix it by throwing money at it!! Hah! But im thinking either:

a 2013 mp ashtray, 12 core 64g ram, d900 chips,

-or-

2019 mac mini 6 core, 64g ram, 1tb flash, and det an eGPU so can use multi monitors

Both 2k-$2500

So, the pro chipset with wild graphics card from an era (tbolt2) built for the UAD system on tbolt 2, or get a MODERN chipset, tho the stuff is consumer grade, not pro, im hearing of MANY pro ssl, neve etc rooms running mac minis for the DAW, and the i/o is much nicer than just 4 tbolt3 ports...

I wish i could afford a new cheese grater but it looks like it starts at 6k and ends around $35,000...lol man! If i worked at skywalker sound maybe!

What do yall think? Peas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search