The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Aux channel problems....
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Aux channel problems....

Hi - using PT 2019.5 with UAD Apollo 8 interface - I've routed all my drum channels to an aux channel (drum bus). For playback and mixing, I just want to hear the drum group aux channel, but the input tracks are still audible. If I mute them or adjust the volume, the aux channel also mutes or adjusts in volume. Am I doing something wrong here? Thank you!
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Guru

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you, but judging from what you wrote it looks like you misunderstand what an Aux does.

An aux merely passes signals through it, it doesn't play back recorded audio directly the way an audio track does. So if you set the output of your drum channels to an aux's input then the signal will flow from the drum channels through the Aux. If you mute the Aux you won't hear the drums because they are no longer passing through the aux. If you mute the drum channels then nothing will feed the Aux and you will again not hear the drums. This is as it should be.

If you want to have more independence between the two, for lack of a better word, then use sends instead of outputs, and make sure the sends are set to pre-fader. If you do this then the signal in your drum channels will go through the inserts and then out via the send to the Aux and then (also) to the chosen output of the drum channel(s) which for example could be your main stereo output. Now the two are partially independent. If the output of your Aux is also set to the main stereo output you now receive a copy of the drum channels;

- the "first" signal comes from the outputs of the drum channels
- the second comes from the output of the Aux which gets its signal from the sends from the drum channels

You can change the level of your drum channels using the faders and because the sends are before those faders it won't change what reaches the Aux so the signal still goes through the Aux. If you choose to mute your Aux that will not change the output of the drum channels.

Again, sorry if you already know this - in that case I'm just misunderstanding what you wrote.

Also, what are you trying to achieve?
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Sorry, a bit jumbled!

To be clearer, I have created an aux track. That is my drum bus. I have routed kick, snare, hihats and toms channels to that drum bus. When I hit play, I hear both the original individual channels AND the drum bus. I just want to hear the drums as a group, not the individual channels. How do I do that?
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks, I'll try using sends instead.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Here's a screenshot!
Attached Thumbnails
Aux channel problems....-screen-shot-2019-07-14-10.21.08.jpg  
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Sorry, a bit jumbled!

To be clearer, I have created an aux track. That is my drum bus. I have routed kick, snare, hihats and toms channels to that drum bus. When I hit play, I hear both the original individual channels AND the drum bus. I just want to hear the drums as a group, not the individual channels. How do I do that?
It still isn't clear to me what you're looking to do. If you're looking to do parallel compression for example then the drums need to go to two places at the same time - in parallel.

If that's what you want to do then you can use a pre-fader send to the bus-aux and then either solo the aux (mutes the output of the drum tracks but not the sends?) or mute the drum tracks (doesn't mute the sends).

If you don't want signals to run in parallel then just choose your aux as the output for your drum channels. In your image instead of having your drum instrument outputs set to 23-24 you'd choose 3-4. But then you'd be back to the issue of always having the signal passing through the aux.

PS: I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee this morning so sorry if the above wasn't 100% clear. One more thing you should know is that you can "solo defeat" a channel by holding command and clicking on the solo button. I think it's command on a Mac. This should 'gray out' the solo button and now if you press solo somewhere else the channel will still output signal. I'm not sure if that helps you but it's worth mentioning in case you were unaware of it.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Guru

PPS: make it a habit to always label your I/o and buses according to function. Makes it waaaay easier for everyone including yourself. Only takes 20 seconds.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Many thanks. And sorry for not being clearer. I simply want to create a drum bus that groups all the individual drum tracks into one for easier control. No parallel compression or anything like that (for now...!).
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Like this? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Aux channel problems....-screen-shot-2019-07-14-10.57.34.jpg  
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Many thanks. And sorry for not being clearer. I simply want to create a drum bus that groups all the individual drum tracks into one for easier control. No parallel compression or anything like that (for now...!).
On your individual drum outputs you may have inadvertently created two outputs per channel, ie. each channel has multiple outputs. One to the drum bus and the original routing which would be to your mains(this is the base setting when creating an audio track)

The least confusing fix would be to set all your individual drums to no output then set them to your "3.4" bus. Renaming it to Drums would make it easier to see issues.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Guru

If you have selected multiple outputs there's an icon in front of the first output name in the output 'tab'. I think it's the "+" sign. Easy to see and not in the screenshot.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Many, many thanks for your help and patience mattiasnyc and 64gtoboy, hugely appreciated. I think I've got it now!

best,
bb

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search