The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I’m in Mac OS / Pro Tools hell. Please help.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

I’m in Mac OS / Pro Tools hell. Please help.

Ok, I’m in such a dilemma that it’s making rethink going back to tape (ha! Kidding).

I have had PT 11 and loved it for a while not wanting to go to any of Avids BS “subscription based crap”.

All that said I did something stupid and accidentally had my iMac upgrade to OS 10.15.watever Mojave. Now pro tools is freaking out and won’t let me record from my interface (Steinberg UR-RT4 which I’ve had other issues with). It looks like all other functions work but audio isn’t getting into PT.

Is there any solution or help anyone can give me? It looks like “downgrading” my OS is almost impossible with Mojave and I’m NOT going subscription based on pro tools. Help!
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry - I have no help to offer. If you did not back up your Mac prior to the upgrade you may be stuck. If you backed it up then you should be able to go back to the previous OS X - well depending on your backup.

I have just cut the umbilical with Pro Tools and my Mac Pro and am in the process of moving the seesions I still want access to to Logic Pro X on my Macbook Pro. It is a pain to go back and forth between the two computers but like you, the new Pro Tools "suck" of my money was not going to be an option.

Sorry I can't offer any help and I wish you all the best in getting things figured out so you can be productive.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

You have made a bad mistake... It's almost impossible to downgrade the new Mac OS. Once it's on the drive you are hosed. If you use Time Machine to back up, then you could recover from there, otherwise, not so much...

PT 11 is a few years old so you'll have to find a path, or you will have lost Pro Tools. You'll also need to find the drivers and new installers for the plugs.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. Try posting on the DUC.

Steve
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

It’s simple: ProTools 11 is NOT compatible with Mojave. If you can’t figure out how to roll back your OS you’ll need to upgrade to the newest version of ProTools.

Before anyone thinks about making the same mistake you did they need to consult this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Here’s the crazy thing.....I’m a Pro Tools certified instructor ( not that I am trying to impress/or that means that much) and I have loved PT for a long time. This actually will probably make me go with another DAW. I’m tired of it. Also, AVID is going to loose people like me if they continue this stupid subscription bullshiz. I’m tired and I feel done with you Avid.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

You can blame Avid all you want, but they didn’t update your OS, you did. You need to own that. Secondly, you CAN buy a perpetual license for ProTools 2019.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
Ok, I’m in such a dilemma that it’s making rethink going back to tape (ha! Kidding).

I have had PT 11 and loved it for a while not wanting to go to any of Avids BS “subscription based crap”.

All that said I did something stupid and accidentally had my iMac upgrade to OS 10.15.watever Mojave. Now pro tools is freaking out and won’t let me record from my interface (Steinberg UR-RT4 which I’ve had other issues with). It looks like all other functions work but audio isn’t getting into PT.
As thismercifulfate said, the Pro Tools OS Compatibility Chart is kind of like The Bible. You can see that Mojave is FOUR operating systems past the compatibility for Pro Tools 11!

if your version of Pro Tools is not lined up with your OS on the chart, it is not going to work. At the very best, you are on your own, with zero tech support. On the other hand, if you do line up, and have a problem, they will dig you out of your hole. But this is the reason why studios "freeze" their OS and Pro Tools version.

Quote:
Is there any solution or help anyone can give me? It looks like “downgrading” my OS is almost impossible with Mojave and I’m NOT going subscription based on pro tools. Help!
downgrading your OS is almost impossible, but it is not completely impossible. Mac is stingy with their installers, but they do exist. I was able to sweet talk the Apple support lady to send me an install disk for an "old" OS for one machine I needed to roll backwards. You may indeed have to wipe the machine and lose stuff on your current Mojave setup to get there, I don't know.

At the college where I teach, "they" decided that all the machines in the lab should be upgraded to make them work for some new video software that the video classes wanted. This pushed the OS beyond the Compatibility of our (purchased) version of PT.. I came in in September and our copies of Pro Tools at first seemed to kind of work, but then certain things would freeze and the deeper I went, the more it acted like it was "haunted". Everyone was raising their hand! In the end, I could not teach my lesson.

Their upgrade had broken the compatibility. The computer staff was frankly flabbergasted at how convoluted and specific the Compatibility thing is for Pro Tools. But they did fix it.

The college did not want to buy me 16 new copies of the new version of Pro Tools and I did not trust them to keep up a subscription every year without exception. God forbid the budget gets "a little tight" one year.

The solution was that they came in and wiped all the machines and made them dual-boot. My students boot the machine in Mavericks, and the video students boot the machines in High Sierra.

This required the computer people to
1. completely wipe the machine
2. partition the disk
2. install both OS's on separate partitions
3. reinstall Pro Tools and reinstall the video software on the respective partitions
4. do whatever it is to make the options come up when you hold down the shift key while starting

being in a lab, there was no personal data to back up. Wiping everything happens at the end of the semester anyway.

If you don't need any of your Mojave software, then you don't even need the dual-boot thing. A good mac tech can probably wipe your machine and reinstall whatever OS, and he or she probably already has the installers. If you are mac-savvy, you could do it yourself once you find the installers. Then you have to reinstall Pro Tools.

Do be wary of sketchy places online that have unofficial 'bootleg' copies of the installers. Many of them are supposedly full of viruses and malware and whatnot.

Last edited by joeq; 13th July 2019 at 07:32 PM..
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
You can blame Avid all you want, but they didn’t update your OS, you did. You need to own that. Secondly, you CAN buy a perpetual license for ProTools 2019.
You seem to be off base with your comment here. I am not blaming Avid for my mistake. I fully understand what happened to be my fault. My blame and complaint about avid is in their new subscription service. It’s the reason I haven’t wanted to update for a very long time. If they wish to continue this subscription model of business then I will not do anything with them ever again.
I have defended avid for a very long time and they are mistakes and in the way that they do not listen to customers, but now I have reached the point where I am done with them.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

It might look like my only option is to save everything onto a hard drive, then revert my computer back to its original state/OS, then re-boot and start back from there.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah evil Avid with their evil subscription model. If only they also still offered perpetual licenses, as you conveniently ignored in my last post.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

ThisMercifulFate is right. I was in a similar predicament last year and bit the bullet on the 2018 perpetual license. So far, so good. I share your dislike for subscription-based products. By the way, I only went up to High Sierra, and have yet to go for Mojave.

Also, I always HIGHLY recommend Carbon Copy Cloner for backups (I've used them for years, and they've saved me - in a big way - on several occasions.) For this reason I do not use TimeMachine, as I do not believe they back up your drives as a sector by sector clone.

Best wishes to everyone here on their projects.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here’s the crazy thing.....I’m a Pro Tools certified instructor ( not that I am trying to impress/or that means that much) and I have loved PT for a long time. This actually will probably make me go with another DAW. I’m tired of it. Also, AVID is going to loose people like me if they continue this stupid subscription bullshiz. I’m tired and I feel done with you Avid.
There's an option to get the reinstatement license for Pro Tools. It's perpetual license, not subscription.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
You seem to be off base with your comment here. I am not blaming Avid for my mistake. I fully understand what happened to be my fault. My blame and complaint about avid is in their new subscription service. It’s the reason I haven’t wanted to update for a very long time.
So, your misunderstanding is the reason you haven't wanted to update? Now that your misunderstanding has been cleared up, what will you do? Or do you need five more people to explain it to you?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ption-licenses

Quote:
If they wish to continue this subscription model of business then I will not do anything with them ever again.
But they do offer the perpetual license. And since they do, what's it to you that they offer a subscription? It's like you want to deprive other people of something that they might want, even though you are NOT forced to "have what they are having".

The downside of any perpetual license is that if you want to upgrade, it's full price. I did the math and for me, I figured that my work is mostly traditional enough that I could 'stick' with a perpetual license for longer than the calculated "break even" point of accumulated subscription fees. Let's face it, any version of Pro Tools can record, edit and mix. The catch there is that I must never upgrade the OS on the Studio computer. Fortunately I have another computer that I can keep more up to date for other non-Pro Tools stuff.

1) I am quite happy with PT as my DAW, and
2) most of my work comes in as PT session files, and
3) I hate learning new software. Hate it with a passion. Hate it more than I love Pro Tools. Hate it more than "subscription models"

Which, fortunately are not mandatory.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Mojave upgrade did the same thing to me, and I use Steinberg + Reaper. It’s a security thing you can change in system settings. Try this fix before anything drastic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm...ing_steinberg/
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut
Just checking as I recently had issues similar with an upgrade; have you allowed pro tools
Access to the microphone in the system preferences? Sounds stupid but this exact thing happened and locked up my Antelope interface! Try that and see if it doesn’t solve the case.

Just checked the link above from Yummerz and the microphone permissions is the exact route to fix this if PT is running but no interface Signal is incoming to Pro Tools

Last edited by Ayzed; 13th July 2019 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Link to post above.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayzed View Post
Just checking as I recently had issues similar with an upgrade; have you allowed pro tools
Access to the microphone in the system preferences? Sounds stupid but this exact thing happened and locked up my Antelope interface! Try that and see if it doesn’t solve the case.

Just checked the link above from Yummerz and that’s the exact route to fix this.
The link is for Reaper.

OP is using Pro Tools.

The OS compatibility for AVID stuff is more or less engraved on stone tablets.

If it says 'yes', and you have a problem, AVID will make it right. If it says "no", you are almost certainly SOL. According to the chart, the OP has upgraded his OS four generations past what AVID says is the max for Pro Tools 11. He can go out and get Reaper, I guess, but if he wants to use PT, he either needs to downgrade his Mac back to where it was, or get the very newest version of PT.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut
I’m aware OP is concerned with Pro Tools. I had the same issues upgrading to Mojave on my system where both PT and Logic wouldn’t recognise incoming signal from my interface due to microphone permissions. Once both DAWs we’re granted access then they both passed input signal from the interface.

I simply wanted to suggest sometimes it’s simple
fixes that we generally overlook.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayzed View Post
I’m aware OP is concerned with Pro Tools. I had the same issues upgrading to Mojave on my system where both PT and Logic wouldn’t recognise incoming signal from my interface due to microphone permissions. Once both DAWs we’re granted access then they both passed input signal from the interface. .
were you using Pro Tools 11?
Old 14th July 2019
Quote:
Why not just buy an external hard drive, install the old OS on it, install PT11 on it and make it bootable? Then you can keep your Mojave drive as an alternate bootable option.

Eventually you'll have to bite the bullet and get new PT though. Only a matter of time. I did it a few months ago after resisting the new Avid business model for a long time. Now I got over it and I don't regret it a bit. New PT has some nice features...
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac
Here's some links to last versions of older Mac OS's... you won't have choices for particular dot revisions, but probably will work for whatever version Pro Tools was last approved for.

Copy and paste the desired link into your browser, then you'll be redirected to the download within iTunes. You'll of course need a working OS and empty disk to install on. You won't be able to simply overwrite your newer OS.

High Sierra:
Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12
Sierra:
Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?ls=1&mt=12
El Capitan:
Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12
Cheers, Greg
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Go to system preferences, security, and allow the microphone to Pro Tools. That is the issue that you describe (no audio input.)

You are going to experience a lot more pain about PT 11 on Mojave but the one issue you are describing is related to that. And that goes for all versions of Pro Tools -- just 2019.5 and 2019.6 tell you to do that when you install it on Mojave.

But expect other issues that will not get solved so easily. (from memory, dragging audio in from the finder doesn't work.)
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post
Here's some links to last versions of older Mac OS's... you won't have choices for particular dot revisions, but probably will work for whatever version Pro Tools was last approved for.

Copy and paste the desired link into your browser, then you'll be redirected to the download within iTunes. You'll of course need a working OS and empty disk to install on. You won't be able to simply overwrite your newer OS.

High Sierra:
Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12
Sierra:
Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?ls=1&mt=12
El Capitan:
Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12
Cheers, Greg
thanks for these!

but the OP said he is on Pro Tools 11
according to the compatibility chart, the highest-numbered OS certified for Pro Tools 11 is Yosemite, 10.10.

El Capitan is definitely not supported.

Would you happen to have a link for Yosemite?
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
thanks for these!

but the OP said he is on Pro Tools 11
according to the compatibility chart, the highest-numbered OS certified for Pro Tools 11 is Yosemite, 10.10.

El Capitan is definitely not supported.

Would you happen to have a link for Yosemite?
Well, the link I have used to be...

Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-yosemite/id915041082?mt=12
But, that now seems to be blocked by Apple - at least in the US it seems...

If you send me a PM, I'll forward a link where you can download a Yosemite installer that I personally created which should be safe and free from possible malware and / or infections. The download is 5Gb, so keep that in mind...

Greg
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

You could try the recovery utility. If you do Shift+option+Command+R(instead of the usual Command+R) it will go look for the original OS that came with your Mac or the oldest still available on Apple servers. You need to have wifi of course when doing that.

KA
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Here’s the crazy thing.....I’m a Pro Tools certified instructor
Old 16th July 2019
i took a risk building a trashcan Macpro with High Sierra and so far, PT11 has been a champ. I got the trashcan ready to roll it to yosemite if it did not work but so far, im coming up to 11 months with High sierra running PT11 and i've had very little issues, and that can be from 3rd party plugins.

So you could do this just don't hold my feet to the fire.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

It’s easy to find fault in Avid today but I’m also not aware of any 6 year old version of a DAW that will work 100% under Mojave. Also a little surprised as a PT instructor that you aren’t already gun shy about updating OS versions, as they pretty famously cause problems with Pro Tools.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethbyoogabooga View Post
i took a risk building a trashcan Macpro with High Sierra and so far, PT11 has been a champ. I got the trashcan ready to roll it to yosemite if it did not work but so far, im coming up to 11 months with High sierra running PT11 and i've had very little issues, and that can be from 3rd party plugins.

So you could do this just don't hold my feet to the fire.
That's interesting. When I returned from summer to find our lab upgraded to High Sierra, Pro Tools 11 was trashed. Same thing as you, but far from a "champ". It opened - without any warning messages, but I could not even finish my first day's lesson. All sorts of weird things would happen and many expected things would not happen. For example, the import audio dialog did not work at all. How are the students going to create a project? Simple commands would freeze the program. These exact same errors were happening on all the machines.

I wonder what the difference is between your situation and my school's? Maybe a decimal point here and there in the OS version or PT version? If I could have gotten it to work as is, I sure would have.

A client of mine who is (finally getting around to) setting up his own PT system came in with his "old" PT 11 and his "new" upgraded laptop. We could not even get the tracks into record mode. Again, for the most part, this is the same level of mismatch, and we were literally unable to use the software at all. We are probably going to have to roll back his machine.

Wish I knew your secret!

Over on the DUC they said: "just because it's not approved on the Compatibility Chart does not mean it won't work... It just means you are on your own if it doesn't." Since then, I have stopped even trying to spoof the Chart and I treat it like the Ten Commandments.
Old 17th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
That's interesting. When I returned from summer to find our lab upgraded to High Sierra, Pro Tools 11 was trashed. Same thing as you, but far from a "champ". It opened - without any warning messages, but I could not even finish my first day's lesson. All sorts of weird things would happen and many expected things would not happen. For example, the import audio dialog did not work at all. How are the students going to create a project? Simple commands would freeze the program. These exact same errors were happening on all the machines.

I wonder what the difference is between your situation and my school's? Maybe a decimal point here and there in the OS version or PT version? If I could have gotten it to work as is, I sure would have.

A client of mine who is (finally getting around to) setting up his own PT system came in with his "old" PT 11 and his "new" upgraded laptop. We could not even get the tracks into record mode. Again, for the most part, this is the same level of mismatch, and we were literally unable to use the software at all. We are probably going to have to roll back his machine.

Wish I knew your secret!

Over on the DUC they said: "just because it's not approved on the Compatibility Chart does not mean it won't work... It just means you are on your own if it doesn't." Since then, I have stopped even trying to spoof the Chart and I treat it like the Ten Commandments.
When i received the trashcan, (bought it used), it had a fresh install of HS. I figured what the hell and do a clean install PT11 on top, knowing very well it wasn’t supported. I figured I’d do it first before blowing it away and roll back to Yosemite. I still had my cheesegrater so i did it more out of curiosity.

I don’t know if it was shear luck or that nothing was an update install, all clean and fresh installs.

But now that you mention it, the import audio does not work but i can still click and drag in external audio tracks as a work around.
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
It’s easy to find fault in Avid today but I’m also not aware of any 6 year old version of a DAW that will work 100% under Mojave. Also a little surprised as a PT instructor that you aren’t already gun shy about updating OS versions, as they pretty famously cause problems with Pro Tools.
I actually haven’t said this and I’ve taken responsibility for it myself.... BUT! The real story is that I had an unrelated issue on my Mac. I let Mac support take over my computer and the next thing I know they updated my OS without asking me.

Yes as a PT instructor I know not to update the OS. That’s why I haven’t done it in so long.

I actually just got Apple to admit that they shouldn’t have updated my OS without asking. They are either going to downgrade it for me or buy an updated PT for me (waiting for their decision now).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search