The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Must Have Native Plugs for PT HDX
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Must Have Native Plugs for PT HDX

Former TDM owner, currently have HDX. Have all of the usual suspects when it comes to plugs. Waves, UAD, Soundtoys, Fab Filter etc. But Im getting sick and tired of having to run sessions at 1024 because Im using these plugins as reverbs etc, so I don't run into DAE errors. HDX sucks ass for this. TDM was FAR better.

Anyway, looking for a couple of great Native plugs like Delay, Reverb, EQ that I can use on the way in so I don't have to sacrifice HW Buffer for these non native plugins.

Last edited by Hamburg58; 14th July 2019 at 02:42 AM..
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

not sure i understand your question. can you describe your rig? I use hdx and dont run into that issue. Are you using a lot of vi's at the same time?

ej
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
F...all of the usual suspects when it comes to plugs. Waves, UAD, Soundtoys, Fab Filter etc. ...

... looking for a couple of great Native plugs like Delay, Reverb, EQ that I can use on the way in so I don't have to sacrifice HW Buffer for these non native plugins.
All the plugins you mention are Native. What is your question?
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry I meant DSP !
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

If you don’t already have it, the Avid bundle ($50/year) is actually a pretty good deal and comes with a big selection of DSP plugs (Revibe, pro compressor + limiter, etc.)

Favorite 3rd party DSP plugin companies are Sonnox and McDSP
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

My personal aaxdsp must haves:

Metric halo channel strip
Crane song Phoenix
Duy tape
Revibe
Reverb one
D verb (kinda)
Eq3
Mcdsp filter bank
Mcdsp compressor bank
Equality (kinda)
Plugin alliance bx eq
Mcdsp ecc 300 delay
Sonnox limiter
Sonnox dynamic eq
Sonnox eq with gml option
Alpha compressor (plugin alliance)
Acme compressor
Mcdsp futbox

Mainly the old Skool stuff we’ve all been using for 10+ years

I guess I could throw in
softube fet comp or mcdsp channel g or sonore distressore and api channel if I absolutely needed those flavors in dsp although I have not used either in years. I haven’t tried mcdsp ultimate channels strip as I thought the ultimate compressors were just ok.

The only plugin that is irreplaceable is cranesong phoenix. There is no plugin in any format that does what it can do.

I don’t know if there is an aax dsp doubler but with all of the above dsp I could easily do an entire mix all dsp...easily.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
If you don’t already have it, the Avid bundle ($50/year) is actually a pretty good deal and comes with a big selection of DSP plugs (Revibe, pro compressor + limiter, etc.)
HDX users running Ultimate (which you have to) get that for free (The Avid Complete Plugin Bundle.) No extra cost -- stays running as long as you are on a support/upgrade plan.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
stays running as long as you are on a support/upgrade plan.
Yep, and this last part is absolutely key. So if you let your support/subscription/what ever it's called these days lapse with the idea that you'll just keep using your current version of PT, these plugins will no longer be authorized and old sessions using these plugins will be hosed.

At my work we're still on 12.8.1 with lapsed support plans, and opted to pay the $50/year (actually it's $150 because we have x3 HDX rooms) so we could continue to use these plugins.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

On a footnote and as much as I don’t want to admit it all of the plugin alliance channel strips are good or as good as what you can find in uad. I think their shadow hills master comp may prove to be better than the uad version as well.

I do hate to admit this though.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
HDX users running Ultimate (which you have to) get that for free (The Avid Complete Plugin Bundle.) No extra cost -- stays running as long as you are on a support/upgrade plan.
Yes I have these. They're cool ! I just dont find the reverbs too interesting. Guess I am looking for a couple of good reverbs and delays for tracking so I dont drag the session down while tracking. Seems anything Native like UAD verbs that I love, bring those DAE errors up when tracking.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

There are only a few AAX-DSP reverbs made now and they are all from Avid and included in the collection you get. All others are AAX native. And if your system can't handle native reverbs while tracking, time to get a new computer. Even 8 year old computers can handle that.

As for delays, there are options out there and none of them are taxing on computers.

As for UAD, the problem is how UAD has to integrate as an outside processor. It has to go through 2 buffers to send signal and return signal back into the DAW. Not good for tracking unless using an Apollo where you can do use them before the signal gets to the DAW. UAD plugins are generally only good for mixing and not tracking.

Update: just thought of one AAX-DSP reverb not made by Avid: Sonnox Oxford Reverb.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are only a few AAX-DSP reverbs made now and they are all from Avid and included in the collection you get. All others are AAX native. And if your system can't handle native reverbs while tracking, time to get a new computer. Even 8 year old computers can handle that.

As for delays, there are options out there and none of them are taxing on computers.

As for UAD, the problem is how UAD has to integrate as an outside processor. It has to go through 2 buffers to send signal and return signal back into the DAW. Not good for tracking unless using an Apollo where you can do use them before the signal gets to the DAW. UAD plugins are generally only good for mixing and not tracking.

Update: just thought of one AAX-DSP reverb not made by Avid: Sonnox Oxford Reverb.
Yeah maybe so about the computer ! It can handle it but I have to set the HW buffer high. Not always the greatest thing. I have a 2012 Tower 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core. Its odd that ever since I upgraded to HDX these issues started. TDM was far better for me and everyone else apparently.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

How much RAM do you have? HDX needs RAM above what TDM used.
I prefer HDX because I need the voices for work. I used to have 3 maxed TDM systems to work at home (and that was a pain to route together.) Now I have 1 for my home system. (Work systems are still 2 or 3 per room but that's because of workflow)
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
How much RAM do you have? HDX needs RAM above what TDM used.
I prefer HDX because I need the voices for work. I used to have 3 maxed TDM systems to work at home (and that was a pain to route together.) Now I have 1 for my home system. (Work systems are still 2 or 3 per room but that's because of workflow)
I have 32gig. Maybe I should go for 128. I thought the Native stuff was all processor based... Im wrong! But is that going to help the UAD stuff to stop having DAE errors as well ?
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

32 gig is plenty.
Native stuff is computer processor based. However, the HDX mixer needs to transfer the mixer signal from the HDX card to the computer processor to do that processing (and then back.) That uses your hardware buffer size in Pro Tools. This is the same as TDM and RTAS plugins.

For UAD stuff, you need to follow their rules: macOS version, right update of the UAD software.

Also, what sample rate are you running and what buffer size for Pro Tools?

No matter what, though, UAD is not good for tracking without an Apollo.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
32 gig is plenty.
Native stuff is computer processor based. However, the HDX mixer needs to transfer the mixer signal from the HDX card to the computer processor to do that processing (and then back.) That uses your hardware buffer size in Pro Tools. This is the same as TDM and RTAS plugins.

For UAD stuff, you need to follow their rules: macOS version, right update of the UAD software.

Also, what sample rate are you running and what buffer size for Pro Tools?

No matter what, though, UAD is not good for tracking without an Apollo.
Im on 12.8.1 and Yosemite because we are a bit scared to jump up to another OS because of stability. Everything else is up to date. Maybe I'll just start plopping the Valhalla verbs on for tracking they seem pretty easy on the system.

Thanks for the info. Im going to do some research on upgrading my PT rig to Ultimate, but will have to goto beyond Yosemite. Ill have to look and see what's stable.
Old 30th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
Former TDM owner, currently have HDX. Have all of the usual suspects when it comes to plugs. Waves, UAD, Soundtoys, Fab Filter etc. But Im getting sick and tired of having to run sessions at 1024 because Im using these plugins as reverbs etc, so I don't run into DAE errors. HDX sucks ass for this. TDM was FAR better.

Anyway, looking for a couple of great Native plugs like Delay, Reverb, EQ that I can use on the way in so I don't have to sacrifice HW Buffer for these non native plugins.
I run HDX with uad octo, waves mercury, soundtoys etc...I run at 512 buffer on a trashcan and 100+ track sessions...it’s fine....suspect some plug-in not playing nice for you?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search