The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ProTools 12.2: Upgrade OSX to latest version or no?
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Head

ProTools 12.2: Upgrade OSX to latest version or no?

Hi All,

Due to some small problems with my Mac, I'm thinking about refreshing/upgrading OSX to the latest version. However, I'm using Protools 12.2 and I'm not particularly willing to upgrade Protools as well. So far, Protools has worked pretty fine, except some issues with a few Waves Plug-ins.

Avid states that Protools 12.2 is supported up to OSX 10.10.4. But will it work safely in a newer (the newest) OSX? Avid say nothing about that.

Can anyone here tell me more about that?

My hardware:
mid 2010 27" iMac 2.93GHz i7
16GB RAM (4x4GB)
1TB HDD(data) + 512GB SSD (OS+programs)
Digidesign 003 Rack interface

Thanks!
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

No. There are multiple problems with Mojave and older versions of Pro Tools.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Head

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

This probably means that my trusty old Imac will need replacing. I fear that current software might prove to be a little too much for these hardware specs...

Perhaps a 12 core Mac Pro 5.1 could be a good machine for the next few years...
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
Thanks. I was afraid of that.

This probably means that my trusty old Imac will need replacing. I fear that current software might prove to be a little too much for these hardware specs...

Perhaps a 12 core Mac Pro 5.1 could be a good machine for the next few years...
Not sure why. I'm using a 2017 iMac 4.2 i7 and doing sessions with 50-100 tracks with zero problems in Pro Tools and Cubase. When I check the System activity the Mac is almost always nearly asleep, not stressed whatsoever. Great machine.
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Not sure why. I'm using a 2017 iMac 4.2 i7 and doing sessions with 50-100 tracks with zero problems in Pro Tools and Cubase. When I check the System activity the Mac is almost always nearly asleep, not stressed whatsoever. Great machine.
Because your machine costs about twice what a Cheese Grater 5.1 would cost, both on the used market. And, if I’m right, the Cheese Grater is a bit faster as well. Since I’m in the process of building and outfitting a suitable room, money needs to be spent efficiently.

Plus, with the Mac Pro, I have more flexibility with positioning of the monitor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search