The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mono Vocal WAV files from different sessions look different, Help me please
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Nut

Mono Vocal WAV files from different sessions look different, Help me please

So I have two vocals WAV files which were recorded with two different microphones. and two different DAWs.
One of the takes was recorded using a Flea 47 microphone using Pro Tools.
The other Vocals were recorded into a Neumann U87Ai using Cubase Pro 9.5.

Both files are WAV and in mono, however when I import them in a session in either Cubase or Pro Tools, they look different visually. I don't get why, one of the files (Flea 47) has two lines.

attached are the screenshots from Cubase and Pro Tools. Your help would be appreciated. Please let me know your thoughts ?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Mono Vocal WAV files from different sessions look different, Help me please-screen-shot-2019-06-23-6.26.16-pm.jpg   Mono Vocal WAV files from different sessions look different, Help me please-screen-shot-2019-06-23-6.29.14-pm.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

It's a mono source but has been recorded to a stereo waveform. So both channels are the same signal. Look for a method to convert to mono if you want to combine with the mono track.
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
It's a mono source but has been recorded to a stereo waveform. So both channels are the same signal. Look for a method to convert to mono if you want to combine with the mono track.
Thank you for your response, is this problematic? In other words, is converting it to mono format necessary?

Also I would appreciate if you could give me some more info, I don't quite get how a mono source can have two channels. It sounds like a single track
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by producerxtr View Post
Thank you for your response, is this problematic? In other words, is converting it to mono format necessary?

Also I would appreciate if you could give me some more info, I don't quite get how a mono source can have two channels. It sounds like a single track
It's not necessarily problematic. But if combining on the same track with the other mono recording I would match it for neatness sake. If it's a different part on its own track by all means leave it stereo.

If you have a mono recording in the DAW and render it out you can select to render stereo. As I said, identical signal on both channels. It doesn't make it stereo audibly. Dual mono might be a better way to describe this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search