The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Poll: Pro Tools Perpetual Vanilla license owners, what's your next move ?
View Poll Results: What's your plan?
Switch to another DAW asap.
43 Votes - 32.09%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then let the plan expire and keep using PT as long as poss
19 Votes - 14.18%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then switch to another DAW when your plan expires.
13 Votes - 9.70%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then keep up with the $199/year plan.
7 Votes - 5.22%
Let your current plan expire and keep using your version of PT as long as possible.
30 Votes - 22.39%
Surrender your perpetual license for the subscription crossgrade offer.
2 Votes - 1.49%
Planning on keeping up with the $199/year plan.
5 Votes - 3.73%
Undecided yet.
10 Votes - 7.46%
Other
5 Votes - 3.73%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th June 2019
Gear Addict

Poll: Pro Tools Perpetual Vanilla license owners, what's your next move ?

What are you guys planning to do after that 101% annual update price increase announcement?

Buy as many updates as possible before July 1st? Switch to another DAW? Switch to subscription?

I'm curious.
Old 20th June 2019
My renewal was due in Sept. I bought another at $99.

I own S1, Reaper, and DP9.

I only record my own stuff, and I think I will start doing anything new in S1.

I had planned to go into mix mode in august and mix everything down anyway. I'll finish up with protools, and be done.

I've been stifled by the arbitrary i/o limitation in protools, and won't have that restriction any longer. I only wish I hadn't bought a couple of plugins that are AAX only.
Old 20th June 2019
Here for the gear

Renewal is due in September. I'll probably get another year at $99 and leave it at that.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Guru

torn .. Sept Due Date here as well .. if 99.00 then probably .. if 198.00 then i will stay at whatever version i am at when it happens ..

Q: are you saying that i need to do/pay the Update NOW (before july 11th) ?? or it will go up to 198.00 .. does this sound correct ?? thank you
Old 20th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
torn .. Sept Due Date here as well .. if 99.00 then probably .. if 198.00 then i will stay at whatever version i am at when it happens ..

Q: are you saying that i need to do/pay the Update NOW (before july 11th) ?? or it will go up to 198.00 .. does this sound correct ?? thank you
Yes.

I thought it was 7/1 though.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
Yes.

I thought it was 7/1 though.
ah .. i was just looking at the Avid email about some new company taking over ecommerce ..

i am sure You are Correct !! July 1st .. way to spring it on us while we are BBQing
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
July 1st .. way to spring it on us while we are BBQing
Yep. Gotta get that bump before the end of the second quarter *eye roll*

Nothing like punishing your loyal customer base for the company’s sh¡t fiscal performance.
Old 21st June 2019
Here for the gear

I have a work and home license. I bought 3 renewals for work and letting my home license expire. Now that they have cloud licencing, I only need one. My main Daw is Nuendo but I get a lot of work in pro tools format so I need it. Avid sucks, absolutely loathe them as a company but pro tools does bring in some income.
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Addict

I am currently weighing my options since my support is due by the end of this month.

My options are:

1. Pay the $99 one more time and give Avid one more year and see what happens.

2. Let my support lapse, buy Reaper for $60 and start learning that.

3. Let my support lapse, crossgrade to Studio One for $199 and start learning that.

If I let my support plan lapse I will definitely be switching DAW's. Presonus is on the ball because they put their crossgrade on sale to coincide with this price increase/announcement. The more I read about them the better Studio one looks...
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Guru

My Big Thing is ... even though i know we all really do not OWN software .. I Do NOT Wish to Surrender My Perpetual License to Avid !!!

friend asked me these questions:

Q1: if you do the Perpetual to Rental Crossgrade (as they call it) the price is 99.00 - is this for One Year or For Two Years ?? forever ?? does it go up to 199.00 at somepoint ??

Q2: and, What happens if you stop paying the annual Fee ?? will you be locked at the Last Version of Pro Tools you are on (like now) ?? or will Pro Tools, Perpetual to Rental Crossgrade, Stop Working until you pay again ??

if we pay 199.00 after JUly 1st, all stays the same - locked at version when you stop paying is what i assume ..

and it seems like Avid is trying to get 100.00 for each of the Licenses out there .. 100.00 for each new Ultimate Purchase / and 100.00 for each Vanilla Owner that Still wants to play the Rental / Perpetual Game !!

also says .. "Pro Tools software—Latest version plus previous versions (Pro Tools 10, 11, 12). Download required (includes software/plug-in installers and user guides)"

so now they are giving ProTools 10 away / was like pulling teeth to get them NOT to have me SURRENDER (hate this word) my PT10 license to get PT11,12 license..

So, Why should we pay them twice as much for more of the same, instability, crappy performance (overdubs still a PITA in large nearly done sessions), no many new features that work that well, especially when your support is mostly in forums not calling Avid !!!

i use PT a lot but man, they are making this very hard to continue updating .. so maybe there is the answer, just Stop Updating PT !! just before the next Stability Update of Course !!!!

rant over for now ....
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Q1: if you do the Perpetual to Rental Crossgrade (as they call it) the price is 99.00 - is this for One Year or For Two Years ?? forever ?? does it go up to 199.00 at somepoint ??
You only crossgrade once for 1 year so there's no reason you'd still get a "crossgrade" price after that. Avid are only saying those on the rental plan now will have their rental costs fixed at the current rate. No such guarantee for what happens after July 1 for anyone newly joining a rental plan.
This is not particularly clear from Avid but I think they are intentionally being unclear. Much like the reinstatement plan "decision."
They are still trying to figure out how to get the most blood from a stone.

Quote:
Q2: and, What happens if you stop paying the annual Fee ?? will you be locked at the Last Version of Pro Tools you are on (like now) ?? or will Pro Tools, Perpetual to Rental Crossgrade, Stop Working until you pay again ??
Once on Rental it stops working when you stop paying. You give up the Perpetual to be on rental so that is gone permanently.
This part is clear from Avid.

Last edited by pentagon; 21st June 2019 at 06:26 PM..
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

avid i/o limiter so horror.Exit this game, more and more third-party DSP.choose other one ,CuBASE.....
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Well, I decided to hold tight to my Perpetual License and bought 4 years of renewals today...
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

My favourite part of all of this is all the users that are going to show Avid their displeasure for their new policies by giving them more money right now. In a much larger lump sum.

That'll show 'em. Their sudden larger guaranteed earnings at the end of the 2nd Q.

(In case you don't know, thanks to the SEC accounting practices, these advanced purchases for future years can only be accounted into their earnings numbers in the future but Avid can earn interest off of the funds they are now holding even if they can't use the principal. So well done everyone for showing them how much you hate this .)

Last edited by pentagon; 25th June 2019 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: autocorrect fix
Old 25th June 2019
I'd be surprised if Avid wasn't a bit ahead of where they'd normally be.

No perpetual user can show that they are pissed yet using their wallets, but many folks have paid ahead.

The next 12 months will reveal the truth about how many folks have jumped to other daws when some percentage of renewals don't happen.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

I will let my plan end without renewal. It's not the 199$ that bugs me, it's the 199$ that is not worth it that bugs me. If I was sure that 199$ would bring me optimizations and stability, features that are on par with the other main DAWs, I would consider it worthwhile

Avid prove me the contrary since version 12. Since it's not my main DAW and I was keeping it up to date for the odd project here and there that I receive and that I need to work in PT, paying 199$ doesn't make sense anymore. I'll keep the last version I'm entitled to until it doesn't work anymore and will rent on a monthly basis when needed to. This could be in 3 years or 5 years.

One thing for sure is I won't give them 99$ in advance to thank them for this new blow. And the thing is, who can be sure what the subscription prices will be next year if you surrender your perpetual license? If you need PT and are renting it, Avid will be holding you by the balls.

KA
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

For them to not roll out an update for so long and expect me to pay a renewal(399), hell naw, im stuck on 2018.4 and will happily die with it now. If i decide to move on, ill sell HDX with the license ll together and go RADAR studio.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
Well, I decided to hold tight to my Perpetual License and bought 4 years of renewals today...
the simple plan

OTH why does everyone feel the need to keep up with the latest and greatest - You can "hack Pro Tools 12.5.2" to make it run on Mojave - FWIW - you can even do it with Pro Tools 10
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Addict
It's just easier to stick with the latest version and stop paying. I feel like eventually they will stop doing perpetual licenses and move to subscription only. Of course it's cool to have all the latest features but all of my favourite mixes were done on something prior to PT 2019.5 because it wasn't available so it's not like I can't accomplish what I need with an older version.

I really like the search feature, that was a nice upgrade.

I'm demoing Studio One at the moment and it has some silly drawbacks, can't make a stereo track from 2 mono tracks without printing for example, but it's light years ahead of PT native. I put my bus compressor as hardware insert, it calculated the delay time and it has wet/dry mix, input and output trim, phase...

The features blow Pro Tools away but I've used PT for 14 years and I work with other producers who only use PT so I figure I'll learn Studio One and just stop upgrading.

I was looking at the offer of $999 for Pro Tools ultimate. But $999 for more tracks (that's all I need it for) is pretty insane. Especially if that commits me to $599 a year upgrade fee if I did decide to upgrade, and Avid haven't really commented much on reinstatement fees which makes me think they'll do away with them entirely.
Old 30th June 2019
Lives for gear

I chose the "Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then let the plan expire and keep using PT as long as poss" option.

However, I also purchased a crossgrade to Studio One 4.5 Professional for $199, and plan on learning that DAW too.
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Guru

i am so on the fence, very long time PT user ... but not willing to give out any more money for not much Stability Wise .. should our accounts NOt be Let toRun out before our price goes UP ?? no, about 2-3 weeks notice !! in the summer, a few days before a major National holiday here in US .. nice timing, when folks are out of town .. thx, this is helping me wish to STOP ..

i have been trying to download 2019.6 since i got my email .. so at the end of TODAY .. my Perpetual License will be good until Sept 5th 2019 .. i hope i get a few good things before then !! TRIM AUTOMATION so Vanilla and Ultimate translate between sessions better ... thats just one thing that should NOT BE ULTIMATE ONLY .. yes Yelling ..haha

EDIT: as soon as i hit send .. BAM Download done .. only took a few days ..
Old 30th June 2019
My plan is expired since 2017, so I'm on version 2018.3 and honestly I haven't decided yet. My current install is working fine, and my computer is kind of outdated as well, so I'll probably "freeze" this rig by the end of the year and it will probably serve me well for the next 2-3 years. Then I'll figure out what to do, and there's a good chance it won't be with Pro Tools...
Old 30th June 2019
Lives for gear

by far the vast majority of pro tools owner do not feel the need to keep up with the latest and greatest. Those that do generally speaking at not the home hobby casual user. Those that do are professional user that get paid and simply cough up money for upgrades. I have worked in pro studios that keep up and I was in a high end pro studio last year and they were still on Pro Tools 8 TDM ...
What also striking is that its pretty easy to use an older version of Pro Tools on a brand new system - though that may change with Catalina but the jury is still out until a GM comes out. Chasing the need to upgrade every few months is pretty pointless for the most part.
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear

Is it confirmed that perpetual reinstatement is available and still $299?
Old 1st July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Is it confirmed that perpetual reinstatement is available and still $299?
unless they change it at some point that it correct ... expect 2-3 weeks for Notice
Old 1st July 2019
Gear Guru

i posted this in other thread as well ...

i let it go !!! wow, what a great feeling to not have given into the MAN !!! not saying anything about folks that did the renewal / multiple year deal - that was a good move .. good times !!!
Old 1st July 2019
My plan expires in October. I bought 2 more years so I'm good thought 2021. I'll see what's up after that.

Last edited by climber; 2nd July 2019 at 05:22 PM..
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Nut

Wonder how many who chose option 1 or 5 held firm. This clutch cash grab attempt inspired me to park my license and stop mooching off Reaper on the side. 60 bucks for several years of updates, does nearly everything PT does, in some cases more (built-in spectral editing), and runs more efficiently. Speaking of efficiency, WTflyingF does Avid stuff in that 2GB? Reaper is under 100MB. Pro Tolls is bloatware.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Speaking of efficiency, WTflyingF does Avid stuff in that 2GB? Reaper is under 100MB. Pro Tolls is bloatware.
Let's see..

"Avid Link" this cr"App" is included in the installer.

Pro Tools use Pace for the iLok protection and this is has very intrusive code, using resources like cpu/memory and of course some Mb of disk space.

"Cloud Collaboration" another of Avid's brain fart, sorry i meant idea that was terribly executed and costed development resources that could be used for other features...like Track Folders, Advanced Markers, ARA support etc.....you know, features that users asking for ages.... oh well...

Drivers and extra stuff for the interfaces, their DSP cards and all that things that someone without an HDX system would never know it is there.

Maybe i forget something, please add it to the stack.

Reaper on the other hand, has nothing of the above, like Studio One too, the app is around 100-150 Mb.

Cheers!
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

just curious, what will be the new renewal price for pt ultimate?

ej

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search