The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Poll: Pro Tools Perpetual Vanilla license owners, what's your next move ?
View Poll Results: What's your plan?
Switch to another DAW asap.
46 Votes - 32.62%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then let the plan expire and keep using PT as long as poss
19 Votes - 13.48%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then switch to another DAW when your plan expires.
13 Votes - 9.22%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then keep up with the $199/year plan.
7 Votes - 4.96%
Let your current plan expire and keep using your version of PT as long as possible.
31 Votes - 21.99%
Surrender your perpetual license for the subscription crossgrade offer.
2 Votes - 1.42%
Planning on keeping up with the $199/year plan.
6 Votes - 4.26%
Undecided yet.
11 Votes - 7.80%
Other
6 Votes - 4.26%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll keep running PT10 on edit rigs (have PT12 don't use it) no support plan no subscriptions. Same for HD (recording/mixing). Stopped giving Avid money some time ago.
PT is fine Avid not so much. If and when I upgrade it will be perpetual only.

Last edited by Brian Campbell; 4 weeks ago at 04:13 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have a vanilla perpetual license that expires on 10/9. I did not buy a $99 perpetual upgrade in July, but I'm on the fence about getting one now...

What I'm wondering is: Will I be glad I have it when Avid finally gets with the Catalina OS? This is clearly a BIG corner that's getting turned in terms of Apple OS, and as a Logic user as well, I'm wondering if I'll need to be on it if/when LPX 11 or whatever happens. Or is PT 2019.6 running on Mojave a pretty good/safe stopping point?

It's all speculative, but if you were in my shoes would you future proof yourself with a $199 upgrade, OR get off the train at Mojave and most current PT 2019.6?

Currently on a 2017 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6, 16gig RAM, and still running PT 2018.12. I've been putting off the Mojave and 2019 upgrades until I finish my current projects and can take the time to do it thoroughly.

I should note that I bought my vanilla license during a Vintage King 20% off promo, so I saved about $140 at the time and felt pretty good about it...which makes me say to myself "technically I'm only spending $60", but....

Anyway people have been chiming in on these types of scenarios for months, and I've read them. But now that we know a lot more about Catalina and what it means for all of our software going forward, I'd be grateful for anyone's opinion on which option to choose as I'm still fairly new to dealing with these situations. Thanks for any input!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlislesound View Post
What I'm wondering is: Will I be glad I have it when Avid finally gets with the Catalina OS? This is clearly a BIG corner that's getting turned in terms of Apple OS, and as a Logic user as well, I'm wondering if I'll need to be on it if/when LPX 11 or whatever happens. Or is PT 2019.6 running on Mojave a pretty good/safe stopping point?
This won't help in your decision but you have to consider if freezing your system indefinitely is acceptable. Avid took away the option of being able to get your perpetual license back up to date if you let your support plan expire. You will only be able to buy a subscription license or a new perpetual license.

That was the last straw for me and I switched to a different DAW and let my plan expire. As far as I'm concerned my frozen license will only be used to load old projects...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat View Post
Avid took away the option of being able to get your perpetual license back up to date if you let your support plan expire. You will only be able to buy a subscription license or a new perpetual license.
This is not true.
Don't spread lies.

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...alUser=&store=

Last edited by pentagon; 2 weeks ago at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Added link to discredit the lie
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlislesound View Post
I have a vanilla perpetual license that expires on 10/9.
You have a one month grace period (so you have to renew by 11/8 to get the renewal pricing.)
See what happens over that time period.

I will say Logic forces you to be on the latest macOS really. So if you can really stay frozen on the current Logic version, then you might manage not to move to Catalina. But I've never met a Logic user who's been able to do that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
This is not true.
Don't spread lies.

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...alUser=&store=
I stand corrected.

This is the first time I have seen this and there has been much discussion on DUC about these options and until today I have never seen it as an option.

It isn't an option in my Avid account either but I just checked and there is an option to contact your dealer.

I'm glad they have it as an option but I'm still not sure it was always there. Maybe it was but their communication is so bad perhaps a lot of folks including my self missed it.

I had no intention of spreading lies but, nice of you to assume so...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You have a one month grace period (so you have to renew by 11/8 to get the renewal pricing.)
See what happens over that time period.

I will say Logic forces you to be on the latest macOS really. So if you can really stay frozen on the current Logic version, then you might manage not to move to Catalina. But I've never met a Logic user who's been able to do that.
Thanks, pentagon, for the input! TexasCat, too. Going to move forward with the upgrade...too soon to freeze out my computer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search