The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Poll: Pro Tools Perpetual Vanilla license owners, what's your next move ?
View Poll Results: What's your plan?
Switch to another DAW asap.
46 Votes - 32.62%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then let the plan expire and keep using PT as long as poss
19 Votes - 13.48%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then switch to another DAW when your plan expires.
13 Votes - 9.22%
Buy one/a few renewals before July 1st, then keep up with the $199/year plan.
7 Votes - 4.96%
Let your current plan expire and keep using your version of PT as long as possible.
31 Votes - 21.99%
Surrender your perpetual license for the subscription crossgrade offer.
2 Votes - 1.42%
Planning on keeping up with the $199/year plan.
6 Votes - 4.26%
Undecided yet.
11 Votes - 7.80%
Other
6 Votes - 4.26%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
just curious, what will be the new renewal price for pt ultimate?

ej

You mean in the future? Because for the time being, it is the same $399/year, that used to be.

I think they will "test" the waters with the Vanilla users at first and then, will act accordingly for the Ultimate ones. The sign is in the wall, if you ask me, since their market share shrinks, prices will go up to compensate the loss. For how long that will keep them sailing, we'll see, but the dark clouds start to form in Avid's future...

Also it depends of how fast competitors will act.
Last day Presonus sent a survey, asking about post production, cloud collaboration and other stuff that i found targeted directly to (ex)PT users. I think they are smart enough to grab the opportunity and fill the gap of user base Avid lost or will loose.

Time will tell.

Cheers!
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak View Post

Also it depends of how fast competitors will act.
Last day Presonus sent a survey, asking about post production, cloud collaboration and other stuff that i found targeted directly to (ex)PT users. I think they are smart enough to grab the opportunity and fill the gap of user base Avid lost or will loose.
Presonus earned me as a customer in this last debacle of Avid's. Seems like quite a few others too.

I had been reading and watching videos about Studio One and their crossgrade offer was just too good to pass up.

My only regret is that I should have done it sooner. Presonus definitely has their act together...
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Maniac

Studio One is definitely a viable option and a good deal, as is Logic Pro. Like many of you, I'm parking Pro Tools at the current version and getting off the roller coaster. It's not my main DAW anyway, but Avid's tactics have become unbearable. And people are paying for years in advance to beat the price hike, thereby giving Avid a big income spike simply under the threat of the price hike, rather than because Avid is innovating or offering a good deal. I've had enough.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
"Avid Link" this cr"App" is included in the installer.
Crapp. I like that.

Sidenote: is hands-down the best facepalm smiley. Whoever designed the godawful emoji facepalm is clearly not a gearslut.
Old 3rd July 2019
Here for the gear
After my perpetual license run out, does my PT go back to the version I bought or will it just stop at the current version?
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reknes View Post
After my perpetual license run out, does my PT go back to the version I bought or will it just stop at the current version?
If perpetual, it stays where you stopped paying (look at the iLok license details for "Release Limit" on the Pro Tools license. Any version on or before that date you can or continue to run but not anything after)

So if you paid for a perpetual license with "upgrade plan" to Sept 2019 and decide not to renew, you can run any version up until Sept 2019 that is released by Avid forever.
Old 4th July 2019
I feel the same way as many of you - Pro Tools isn't my main DAW but I do genuinely like it as software. That said, I don't think I'll be continuing my business relationship with them any further if I can help it.

To those who are looking for alternatives, I'd say the most Pro Tools-esque option is probably Studio One. Equally if you use a Mac you'd be crazy to not at least give Logic a try - it's a genuinely excellent DAW.

Equally I picked up a Cubase license during the recent sale - I don't know that I'll necessarily be rushing to switch over but it is an absolutely fantastic product and in my opinion one of the most feature packed and professional DAWs out there.

Quote:
Pro Tools use Pace for the iLok protection and this is has very intrusive code, using resources like cpu/memory and of course some Mb of disk space.
Whilst I personally have no problem with the iLok protection as a concept (I actually find having the licenses on a dongle pretty damn convenient) my understanding is the particular implementation of the iLok protection used by Pro Tools (i.e. Metafortress) is pretty damn intensive indeed. Supposedly if it were removed CPU usage would drop by around 30%.

Keep in mind that's just the CPU usage of the DAW itself - so real world numbers wouldn't be quite so dramatic as a big portion of the CPU usage is that of plugins etc.

Of course, I don't blame Avid for keeping it - its evidently worked pretty damn well at protecting the software from piracy. As much as I dislike Avid as a company, I totally get why they'd want to protect their software.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Guru

i stopped paying Avid too .. you are NOT getting my MONEY upfront for Nothing !!! sorry Charlie !!!
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Didn’t renew, have updates through December and I’ll park my system after that. iMac is only a couple yrs old and I can still update a lot of RAM, so theoretically this system should last a long time (knock on wood).

2 week notice for a 101% increase?? Unbelievable!! A 20-25% increase, I doubt anyone would have batted an eye... but this??

No way I’m giving up the perpetual license, and no way I’ll play along with their pricing games. I’ve used PT since v6 — I can ride out 2019.x until it’s dead.

Worst part is, I teach music production and planned to update our school’s lab when fiscal budgets rolled over... ON JULY 1.

Avid doesn’t post multilicense prices, so I had to fill out a general sales inquiry to see what the increased cost would be for the lab. Still haven’t heard back... such amazing customer service (and this was well before the holiday weekend, so they can’t give that excuse).

Rock, hard place. My students should know PT, but why should I continue to support this company??
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv View Post
Didn’t renew, have updates through December and I’ll park my system after that. iMac is only a couple yrs old and I can still update a lot of RAM, so theoretically this system should last a long time (knock on wood).

2 week notice for a 101% increase?? Unbelievable!! A 20-25% increase, I doubt anyone would have batted an eye... but this??

No way I’m giving up the perpetual license, and no way I’ll play along with their pricing games. I’ve used PT since v6 — I can ride out 2019.x until it’s dead.

Worst part is, I teach music production and planned to update our school’s lab when fiscal budgets rolled over... ON JULY 1.

Avid doesn’t post multilicense prices, so I had to fill out a general sales inquiry to see what the increased cost would be for the lab. Still haven’t heard back... such amazing customer service (and this was well before the holiday weekend, so they can’t give that excuse).

Rock, hard place. My students should know PT, but why should I continue to support this company??
I just looked at my account and i have 2018.10, 11, and 12 so ill update to 12 and stay there as well. Now i dont feel as bad staying at 12
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I just looked at my account and i have 2018.10, 11, and 12 so ill update to 12 and stay there as well. Now i dont feel as bad staying at 12
2018.12.0.307 is the last 2018 version i have in my system .. on a Mac !!! and Feel Liberated !!! a decision has been made by the Four Letter Word A _ _ D ... and it was to alienate a huge part of it's Customer BAse !!

viva la Liberte !!! and Bravo to ALL that did not give in to those Tactics ..

but we fully understand why some wanted or needed to stay with the divA Empire Model !!
Old 7th July 2019
There is a certain level of absurdity of a premium product creating a crisis out of nowhere by doubling the price and having a ton of people buy years worth of updates in advance to avoid the increase.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
There is a certain level of absurdity of a premium product creating a crisis out of nowhere by doubling the price and having a ton of people buy years worth of updates in advance to avoid the increase.

It's called "cash grab". They used a type of psychological extortion once again, to profit their sinking in dept company. Most of the people who bought in advance plans at $99 to avoid the 101% price raise, will not give money to Avid again or if they do, it will be after 2 years or more... Competitors will fill in the gap during that time, since Avid is moving super slow regarding the Pro Tools development and people eventually will move on. It is very obvious already...

Cheers!
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv View Post
....why should I continue to support this company??
I guess it is rhetorical question, but in case it is not, you have expressed enough reasons to not support them in your post, already. Vote with your wallet, the only thing that really hurts them...

Cheers!
Old 7th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I have to wonder what the belt tightening will be like after that money runs out.

Is this a sign?
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
I have to wonder what the belt tightening will be like after that money runs out.

Is this a sign?
they will start selling Features like Plugins !!! oh you want the Feature Set of Ultimate in Vanilla, that will be 499.00 (so you can translate Vanilla to Ultimate and Back) .. they are going back in a circle of trying to get money Ala Carte for everything .. hence HEAT for Vanilla - at 499.00 - make it seem like a Free Feature then YANK the Rug out from Under .. who is running this out of control multi-million dollar company !!! damn man, this is Absurd (quoting from GS above)

remember the days of buying Masterlist - 499.00, or that damn OMF tool that made for, yeah you guessed it - 499.00 ... nothing they made or make is worth this money .. how about the Pro Limiter !! how much was that, now they give it away - or they gave it to me for some reason ..

Sept 4th, the Cord is Cut for me ... hoping for one more update in less than two months .. that fixes everything - stable and working .. LOLOLOL
Old 9th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
Studio One is definitely a viable option and a good deal, as is Logic Pro. Like many of you, I'm parking Pro Tools at the current version and getting off the roller coaster. It's not my main DAW anyway, but Avid's tactics have become unbearable. And people are paying for years in advance to beat the price hike, thereby giving Avid a big income spike simply under the threat of the price hike, rather than because Avid is innovating or offering a good deal. I've had enough.
I've been using PT11 since its' release on a macpro trashcan. I'm holding out as long as i can but i see the writing on the wall and will jump to Logic Pro. I guess i'm old school but i'd rather pay a single purchase price, "own" the software i'm using and not pay a subscription.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Just needs to be pointed out to vanilla users.
In your account on avid, sitting in the same exact spot that subscription updates used to be, and at the same price $99, is a surrender of perpetual, to rental!
Coincidence? Ummm I think not!
So happy with S1, two updates went by, both great updates. Was not charged a dime!
Don’t fall for avids latest slight of hand!
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Just needs to be pointed out to vanilla users.
In your account on avid, sitting in the same exact spot that subscription updates used to be, and at the same price $99, is a surrender of perpetual, to rental!
Coincidence? Ummm I think not!
I noticed that! suuuuper shady indeed!!
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

I have updates till March and I decided no, I’m not stockpiling renewals. I probably won’t update my Mac to Mojave, as it’s pretty old (cheese grater). But I also didn’t throw any money at a cross grade deal for right now, going to just sit tight and see what all happens.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Addict

After 15 years solely on Pro Tools, I finally had enough of their crap, and moved to Logic Pro X.

Leaving AVID in the dust...
Old 23rd July 2019
Here for the gear

Keep the most stable version you left off of while using your perpetual license, update to the most recent version and pay $10 every other month for the patches.

:>
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Avid is well aware of the risk they are taking, below is in the 2017 annual report under “risks”
This is why the people who paid them for many years before the price increases, well you shooting your own foot off, and everyone else’s.
They will only push further the next year, if you let them.
Very happy with studio one, and a better community to learn with....
Have fun pro tools guys , make lots of money, you will need it...

Our increased emphasis on a cloud strategy may give rise to risks that could harm our business.
We are devoting significant resources to the development of cloud-based technologies and service offerings where we have a limited operating history. Our cloud strategy requires continued investment in product development and cloud operations, as well as a change in the way we price and deliver our products. Many of our competitors may have advantages over us due to their larger presence, larger developer network, deeper experience in the cloud-based computing market, and greater sales and marketing resources. It is uncertain whether our cloud-based strategies will prove successful, or whether we will be able to develop the infrastructure and business models more quickly than our competitors. Our cloud strategy may give rise to a number of risks, including the following:
• If new or current customers desire only perpetual licenses, we may not be successful in selling subscriptions.
• Although we intend to support our perpetual license business, the increased emphasis on a cloud strategy may raise concerns among our installed customer base.
• We may be unsuccessful in achieving our target pricing.
• Our revenues might decline over the short or long term as a result of this strategy.
• Our relationships with existing partners that resell perpetual licenses may be damaged.
• We may incur costs at a higher than forecasted rate as we enhance and expand our cloud operations.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

You really do not need to chase the upgrade latest and greatest all the every single version of any software is going to have an issue. I have successfully used Pro Tools 12.5.2 (Pro Tools 2016.9) with Mojave without issue

Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelTheSuperior View Post
my understanding is the particular implementation of the iLok protection used by Pro Tools (i.e. Metafortress) is pretty damn intensive indeed. Supposedly if it were removed CPU usage would drop by around 30%.
hey, do you have any further reading on this topic? a quick google of metafortress ilok brings up nothing but one forum post, but no direct admittance of Metafortress for pro tools... just a one line with no evidence. Not that I wouldn't believe it, it would explain the dire performance of the AAE engine compared to basically any other on the planet.
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
hey, do you have any further reading on this topic? a quick google of metafortress ilok brings up nothing but one forum post, but no direct admittance of Metafortress for pro tools... just a one line with no evidence. Not that I wouldn't believe it, it would explain the dire performance of the AAE engine compared to basically any other on the planet.
to add to your question ... if you are NOT opening Pro Tools but still using iLok for some plugins do we get this same 30% CPU hit ???

lets find this one out for sure ... thats scary high usage

cheers john
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
... if you are NOT opening Pro Tools but still using iLok for some plugins do we get this same 30% CPU hit ???

PACE, has different levels of protection in their developer kit.
It's up to the software coders how to utilise these options and thus make it more or less intrusive in the end. Pro Tools is a DAW so the protection it is pretty intrusive and that has a performance impact in itself basically. Pro Tools launch is slow and also project loading takes "forever", in contrast to Studio One 4 where it is lighting fast in launch and project loading. Also Ableton Live is one of the same league, loads pretty fast too.

Plugins are different thing though, some developers use the "basic" options others go further. As far as i know, in plugin world, Slate is using more layers of PACE in his software and it is obvious when you open VMR, in contrast to Softube or SoundToys for example, where the latter loads faster every time.

Long story short, PACE protection affects performance of the software when that is running, there is always the "PACE Daemon" which is loading when system boots, but doesn't consume any significant system recourses. (it depends of the CPU speed etc).

Cheers!
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
PACE, has different levels of protection in their developer kit.
It's up to the software coders how to utilise these options and thus make it more or less intrusive in the end. Pro Tools is a DAW so the protection it is pretty intrusive and that has a performance impact in itself basically. Pro Tools launch is slow and also project loading takes "forever", in contrast to Studio One 4 where it is lighting fast in launch and project loading. Also Ableton Live is one of the same league, loads pretty fast too.

Plugins are different thing though, some developers use the "basic" options others go further. As far as i know, in plugin world, Slate is using more layers of PACE in his software and it is obvious when you open VMR, in contrast to Softube or SoundToys for example, where the latter loads faster every time.

Long story short, PACE protection affects performance of the software when that is running, there is always the "PACE Daemon" which is loading when system boots, but doesn't consume any significant system recourses. (it depends of the CPU speed etc).

Cheers!
thank you for the information !!!! yes agreed, PT loading is very slow ... i remember back before iLok / Pace was involved and it was slow then but not this slow ..

cheers john
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Head

I picked "Let your current plan expire and keep using your version of PT as long as possible."

I recently updated from 8.0.5 to a new perpetual license, and I'm on 2019.6. I won't pretend to be any sort of power-user of Pro Tools, I'm just an amateur songwriter/guitarist using Pro Tools as well as I'm able, but at least on the surface it's both surprising and disturbing how little seems to have changed for my $600.

Even the bugs are the same. Like the one where, occasionally on the first launch, the CPU in System Usage bugs out, there are massive audio dropouts, and you have to restart the audio engine by applying a new buffer size (and then switching back to the one you wanted.) There's also that old one where the instrument track loses its instrument settings and the playlist gets greyed out, too.

My other potential response is "Switch to another DAW asap."

I have been testing out Presonus Studio One 4.5. Performance-wise, in as close as I can get in an apples-to-apples comparison, Pro Tools performs slightly better, but Studio One seems to be slightly more stable. Tests that will outright crash Pro Tools (or even hard lock the whole computer) just result in terrible-sounding playback in Studio One.

None of the plugins in the Complete Bundle are things I really would use except Space, and if 2019.6 shows me what 7+ years worth of $199 a year updates gets me... LOL, no thanks.
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Hmmm.... I have no real reason to post here, but I am still on PT 10 and it works GREAT, using Windows 7 on non-updating computer. I have an i7 and 16GB ram, SSD and two 7200 RPM HDs. I am even still using a digi 003 console and I love it. It has the transport, 8 tactile faders, 2 headphone sends and a total of 12 inputs (4 XLR, 12 line) plus optical expansion capabilities.

The only drawback is that I cannot find RTAS plugins, although I have working versions of almost everything I need anyway including Sampletank, AIR, Melodyne and Addictive Drums.

All it cost me was $350 (used) and I also got the hardware 11-Rack which is a really underrated digital modeler IMO.

It never crashes, does not gray out either. I cannot seem to get the "instrument" option to work but there are other ways to deal with that anyway. Unfortunately I missed out on getting the Xpand2 upgrade (I have it but I cannot make the installation work).

My only point is - being locked in to the version you have is probably not nearly as bad as it sounds as long as you can continue to use it and buy plugins. Avid kept the drivers alive for the Digi003 for some 15 years (they still work). Personally, I see a lot of people using Logic, also, and if I had a MAC (or even liked them) that is what I would probably go with. I do like Studio One for being intuitive. But I also like the idea of MixBus (Harrison).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search