The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Pro Tools Pricing July 1 2019
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I did a 10 year stint with them back in the day. Great company to work for, but the salaries started to stagnate so I moved on. They were still manufacturing the ThinkPads. Where I am now we use some of their software/products (Websphere, Rationale, IIB, and a few others). They sell off the shelf products but rake you over the coals with add-ons and support costs. Mor power to them though. They reinvented themselves and produce a lot of jobs. A company that can acquire another company for $34 billion (RedHat), must be doing something right. Sorry for the irrelevant post. IBM is like an old girlfriend who I remained friends with. Avid is a blip on the radar in comparison.
Interesting. They have some systems running on webshphere where I work. I work with sql server, so only see the websphere from those who administer it. We still have a critical system running on an ibm mainframe where I work. There are projects to re-write in new technology, but they are years from completion. So,yes, enough reminscing on my part as well.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Interesting. They have some systems running on webshphere where I work. I work with sql server, so only see the websphere from those who administer it. We still have a critical system running on an ibm mainframe where I work. There are projects to re-write in new technology, but they are years from completion. So,yes, enough reminscing on my part as well.
Interesting. I am currently on a legacy team where we are decommissioning a few of the enterprise apps and systems which includes the mainframe and iSeries servers. The running joke is that this stuff will never go away

These systems touch so many things across the enterprise. There are tons of tapes to back up (retention regulations). Cool work though. I just need to time things just right and jump on another team. Otherwise, I will be out of a job.

Anyway, has Avid dropped their silly new pricing model yet
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
When I started programming on ibm hardware in 1979, it was inconceivable to anyone in the industrty that at any time in the next 100 years any other computer company would be able to compete seriously with ibm. They had a monopoly they earned with good hardware and crappy os, and they milked it as much as they could. Their hubris, groupthink, and desire to protect their existing products lead them to lose control of the pc market. Today ibm is a niche player. Sure, they do services, but everybody does services. Not like the old days when they ruled heaven and earth.
I wouldn't call a company with 350 thousand employees and revenues close to $80 billion a niche player! But, yes, they are not the force they used to be.

As for the line "desire to protect their existing products", that is absolutely spot on in this Avid thread. Or rather, the desire to protect their flagship product. That is IMO one of Avid's biggest mistakes.

Alistair
Old 9th September 2019
I frequently work together with 5 other music studios in my area.
10 years ago they all worked with Pro Tools!
Meanwhile there is only 1 left...that is still working with Pro Tools.
2x work with Cubase, 1x went on Logic Pro and 1x recently moved to Studio One (he did that because he was so unhappy with the Pro Tools updates and "update plan")

When I saw this topic I was assuming that AVID would lower the prices - because they are already loosing customers.
Funny enough to see them raise the prices
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

Personally I think Protools are cutting their own throat, with the current pricing structures they are forcing previously loyal users to look elsewhere. I have found alternatives that are effective and with the plugins available today almost any DAW can be adapted to do post production work. I have found VST plugins to sync video and with Melodyne and some of the Izotope products, they no longer have the monopoly on voice fixing products. I see no reason to stick with Protools anymore. I'm also really fed up with corporate greed.
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

Since AVID went public their prices have continued to go up. Overpriced corporate CEOs have to have their multi $1,000,000 salaries so they can screw everything up. Just look at automobile United States corporations.
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear
Pro Tools The Greedy Empire

Pro Tools is a greasy greedy music tech company that I got rid of years ago with no regrets. Chances are if your still using it your over 50 years old and have yet to discover that most DAWs such as Logic, Cubase etc have better features.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
I'm not sure i recall the specific video you're referring to, but I do use clip gain quite a bit, and especially for vocal comping. I'm still doing my tracking and editing in Pro Tools, because I haven't gotten quick enough in S1 to fully make the move to it (I don't want my clients to pay me to learn a new piece of software, because they've come to expect SUPER fast results from me, which i can deliver using PT). However, S1 has a pretty easy clip gain feature; you just grab the little line doohickey at the top of the clip and move it up or down to increase or decrease gain.

For vocal rides, though, i use a fader, either on my Artist Mix or my console. I'm also pretty handy writing automation with the mouse, but ever since i got a controller I've been a bit spoiled so I don't do quite as much of that these days
I've switched almost entirely to Cubase Pro, after using PT since it came out.

I have hundreds of projects in PT so will have to have some version of it around to open old projects.

I still have to use it when I need to slow sessions down to record difficult string runs, drum fills, guitar parts, etc. If Cubase had this I'd be in it all the time.

Logic does everything I would ever need to do but I'm just not crazy about some things about it interface wise, and I hate the thought of mixing in it.

Cubase is gorgeous to look at all day...which counts for me...and is slick and completely professional feeling to me.

I like PT but hate what has happened to it, and the fact that it is never, ever going to catch up and be relevant to composers doing orchestral work, or even guys doing loop based hip hop or whatever. It's a great audio program with an awful company behind it.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Since AVID went public their prices have continued to go up. Overpriced corporate CEOs have to have their multi $1,000,000 salaries so they can screw everything up. Just look at automobile United States corporations.
Digidesign and Avid have both been publicly traded since at least the 1990's
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

old PT user or "got used-er"... I use other DAWs but.. PT still works, buggy as f sometimes tho. errors at 17%.. etc

. But the greed and sticking it to ppl that invested more than less, kind of, is, a, "bad vibe" ; ] to put it " Niiiicely"

the HDcard thing is still good but a bit creaky idea at this stage.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Oh boy! More expensive upgrade and renewal programs. SO HYPE~!!!
Who needs bug fixes and updates when you can just have more freedom to pay more money to AVID
Old 14th September 2019
TJ5
Gear Nut
I haven't re-read this whole thread but was the switch from perpetual to subscription supposed to be for both PT Ultimate and PT Vanilla? I just went to their site and I see that perpetual licenses are still available for PT Vanilla. I'm not looking at the support renewal options as I never renewed them in the past. I'm also not too concerned about upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails
New Pro Tools Pricing July 1 2019-pro-tools-pricing.jpg  
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

just don’t use ProTools. Problem solved
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Addict

I find this disturbing, you deleted avid financial facts, because you don’t like them...
In a post about avid pro tools pricing.

I see many deleted posts by you on this topic,
More than any other topic....

Something don’t smell right here...

Just saying,

I am sure you will now feel the need to delete this post as well....???

You work for or are you paid by avid somehow?

Seriously!

Quote:
FYI to folks, I deleted some posts with long excerpts from the avid year end financials because I thought they were too long and boring, and this quote was taken from before I deleted them. I won't pretend to have the expertise or interest in debating my amateur interpretations of this stuff--I provided a link to the financial reports for those that want to really dig in and form their own interpretations.

One thing folks more involved in the industry can help with is the degree to which the overall studio marketplace has shrunk in the last three years, to get an idea if the losses of sales are due to less studios or users going to competitive products.

Last edited by chipss36; 3 weeks ago at 01:19 AM..
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
I find this disturbing, you deleted avid financial facts, because you don’t like them...

That smell you don't recognise is called realism. Ponzi realised there were aspects of these SEC filings he doesn't know enough about. To avoid spreading misinformation he deleted the bits he wasn't entirely sure about. I wish more would approach forum posting like that.

Quote:
He can't delete your posts. That isn't how the forum works.

Quote:
Did you even read his posts? They are not exactly glowingly positive about Avid's business. Next time instead of going straight into paranoid delusional conspiracy theory mode, read the posts and look if they even support the conspiracy(/company) the poster is allegedly working for.

Alistair
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

We don't have one serious alternative to PT.

We have dozens.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post

Just saying,

Seriously!
This is just a hunch, but there was a site that Behringer attempted to sue for defamation. This included attempting to sue actual forum members! Uri claims to be a cool dude in a loose mood, but he plays just as dirty as the rest of the corporate world. This from a man who has been sued on several occasions for trademark and Trade Dress infringement not to mention the FCC dispute where some 50 Behringer products had not been tested for conducted and radiated emissions limits as required by US law (naughty Uri ).

At any rate, Perhaps the threat of lawsuits has sites like this one as well as individuals covering themselves? Can't say I blame them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

After decades containing my gleeful participation in epic flame wars (at a pro audio forum no longer among us--I smile even remembering some of it), false forum identities, and countless other delightful shenanigans, this is a first--the most boring stuff I ever posted inspired, in at least one feverish mind, a conspiracy theory worthy of investing in emotionally--and boldly confronting! :0

Sadly, perhaps, my reasons were no more or less than I stated--I deleted extensive quoted excerpts from the Avid 10-k SEC disclosure, as well as completely speculative discussion on the potential state of their affairs. The highlights that show product sales trends are still posted--and they paint a picture of a struggling company that may or may not be taking a turn for the better.

Undertow stated the obvious, for those who missed it the first time, which is that when I delete my own posts, there is no moderator intervention. I have no indication that Avid has an objection to their publicly released SEC disclosures being quoted in a music forum. Since there is an entire financial industry devoted to professionals who speculate on the financial health of publicly traded companies, I doubt that Avid was aware of my posts or found my own cautiously stated thoughts to be of any concern let alone subject to any sort of legal recourse.

These were really long posts, and after I was done I looked at it and I felt I was crapping all over the forum with stuff that members were not interested in, so I deleted it. No GS moderators ever got involved or contacted me--they stop fights, they don't police boringness. Anybody can google avid 10-k to see what I was quoting from--spoiler alert: Its not a page-turner...

Last edited by ponzi; 4 weeks ago at 01:21 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Mysterious Avid Issue Knocks Out Mac Pro Workstations Across Hollywood

Studios running Media Composer, Pro Tools seems unaffected but some confidence in avid may take a hit.

Update: Comment below indicates PT was affected.

Quote:
Film and TV editors across Los Angeles were sweating Monday evening as their workstations were refusing to reboot, resulting in speculations about a possible computer virus attack. Social media reports suggested that the issue was widespread among users of Mac Pro computers running older versions of Apple’s operating system as well as Avid’s Media Composer software.

Avid said in a statement that it was aware of the issue:

“Avid is aware of the reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices running some Avid products, which arose late yesterday. This issue is top priority for our engineering and support teams, who have been working diligently to determine and resolve the root cause. As we learn more, we will immediately publish information—directly to our customers and via our community forums and social media platforms—in order to resolve this issue for all affected customers and prevent any further issues.”

Last edited by carbon; 3 weeks ago at 06:51 PM.. Reason: updated info
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Mysterious Avid Issue Knocks Out Mac Pro Workstations Across Hollywood

Studios running Media Composer, Pro Tools seems unaffected but some confidence in avid may take a hit.
The headline is a killer for avid. Its probably like many computer issues, you don't know the cause at first, so avid just has to suck it up while journalists say what they will. The avid press release was the perfect thing to say under the circumstances, and I am sure they are looking into it as fast as they can.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

This affected our Pro Tools workstations on all Mac computers Trashcans and iMacs.
Had to reinstall Mac OS.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
This affected our Pro Tools workstations on all Mac computers Trashcans and iMacs.
Had to reinstall Mac OS.
Out of curiosity, was there a new version of PT or the iLok manager installed or did it just happen out of the blue?

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Out of the blue.

I think everyone here left their computers on overnight charging their mouses, and upon restart got a black screen.

Had to boot into safe mode and reload the OS.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They don't call it Reaper for nothing. Taking down one DAW at a time
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It just happened again!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Out of the blue.

I think everyone here left their computers on overnight charging their mouses, and upon restart got a black screen.

Had to boot into safe mode and reload the OS.
Thanks for reporting back.

Quote:
It just happened again!
Ouch.

This might be relevant: https://mrmacintosh.com/google-chrom...g-boot-issues/

EDIT: According to the above link, the problem is the Google Chrome updater, not Avid or PACE.

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I agree this deserves its own thread. We don't know that it is an avid issue, but probably good for people to share if they have fixed it or found work-arounds. Best of luck to those who are suffering from this.
Old 3 days ago
I went back to 2018.12 for both seats. No more 6101 errors.
But now there's this:

https://threatpost.com/wavs-hide-malware/149240/

So, should we all re-export every GD project using AIFF instead of BWF?
I couldn't find an answer; whether BWF was vulnerable like WAV.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesPDX View Post
I went back to 2018.12 for both seats. No more 6101 errors.
But now there's this:

https://threatpost.com/wavs-hide-malware/149240/

So, should we all re-export every GD project using AIFF instead of BWF?
I couldn't find an answer; whether BWF was vulnerable like WAV.
“These techniques demonstrate that executable content could theoretically be hidden within any file type, provided the attacker does not corrupt the structure and processing of the container format,”

No point in switching to other file formats. Also note that this technique just hides (part of) the malware code. It still needs a specific application that decodes that data and executes it. Loading any if these wav files in a regular audio player or DAW will do nothing.

In other words, this is only an issue if your system is compromised through another method.

Alistair

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search