The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Pro Tools Pricing July 1 2019
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

This is bullsh*t, Fu*k you Avid
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Nearly everyone seems to have missed a biggie, it was pointed out to me by nigelpry on the DUC:

On Facebook / Pro-Tools-Expert:

Q: Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
A: Avid will continue to offer re-instatements

On the DUC as linked from their official e-mail:
Q) Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
We are currently evaluating these programs.

I have an HD10 license I've been waiting to upgrade to Ultimate at some point...was planning on doing it either at the end of this year or sometime next year but they may be snatching this option away at the end of the month.

They released two statements on the same day with conflicting information and we need this cleaned up pronto.
Old 18th June 2019
Here for the gear

No doubt (in my humble opinion) that all perpetual licenses would be forcibly changed to subscription in couple of years from now. Or at least AVID will stop selling them for sure. Hopefully my dear reader, you don't keep your licenses in the cloud, do you?
Feels like we are going through total corporate binary wild west situation on steroids.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear
I am a long time PT user (since v7). Never thought I would say this, but after my current version stops working, I am done with PT. I will no longer support this company.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I am a long time PT user (since v7). Never thought I would say this, but after my current version stops working, I am done with PT. I will no longer support this company.
That’s how I feel. Been using since v. 5. This is the last straw. They want us to pay a monthly subscription for big fixes that are their fault in the first place? And it usually takes a year or more for them to fix the bug? Ludicrous.

What’s the easiest DAW to learn for someone coming from Pro Tools?
Old 18th June 2019
Another long time PT user (v4) running a very busy commercial studio plus personal rigs with multiple pro tools hd and ultimate licenses, now strongly considering a move away from it. Avid’s practices are offensive and the only thing keeping me from simply ditching their model altogether is the fact that I’m really really fast on PT and learning a new DAW is daunting.

But if i find one that I can quickly wrap my head around.... see ya, PT! Good fuggin riddance. I’ll keep a couple of my perpetual licenses on my commercial rigs for the freelancers, I guess...
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
I seem to recall reading about a Cubase setting that mimics PT shortcuts? Might be a good starting point (if my memory is correct, that is).

If I were a DAW competitor, I would be jumping on this news with some competitive offers
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

I think you can just use a PT skin and import key commands for Reaper. Reaper is amazing! Also, Logic X has Pro Tools key commands built in.

For some reason, PT 11 still opens on Mojave for me. Just long enough for me to get files out of there and into Logic.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Guru

For Cubase and Nuendo I think there are keyboard command files that are similar in layout to PT. Either they're part of the default set or someone has them.
Old 18th June 2019
That's it for me. I'll lock down at whatever version is up at the end of my subscription, and finally start learning S1 that I bought a year back.

These guys weren't screwing us hard enough?
Old 18th June 2019
Deleted 4adc64a
Avid has been sending some really desperate signals into the market lately. Eucon + Pro Tools Control App are incredibly important parts of my workflow right now but it may be time to learn some new tricks...
Old 18th June 2019
It's funny, I just praised them for a much more stable program, with only a little gripe about the BS restriction on IO yesterday. Guess I can get more IO now in S1, and they can stuff their bs renewal where the sun doesn't shine.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstorager View Post
No doubt (in my humble opinion) that all perpetual licenses would be forcibly changed to subscription in couple of years from now. Or at least AVID will stop selling them for sure. Hopefully my dear reader, you don't keep your licenses in the cloud, do you?
Feels like we are going through total corporate binary wild west situation on steroids.
That reminds me. Must make sure my Avid account is not linked to my ilok account.
There is a check box on each Avid account.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
the only thing keeping me from simply ditching their model altogether is the fact that I’m really really fast on PT and learning a new DAW is daunting.
Me too but have spent a lot of time today watching reaper tutorials!!! It's not like I'll forget how to use Pro Tools, it's etched in my brain. But damn, even today I was just setting up plugin presets with MIDI mapping, now every time I open ProQ-3, all it's controls are mapped to my surfaces... high/low pass just on the end of my arms on rotary controls, no extra work. Controls for limiters set to sliders.... gawd... not gonna lie it's freeing right now.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post

Q - Is there a limit on how many renewals I can purchase on my active Perpetual plan?

A - There are no limit. You can buy as many renewal plans and that will be added to your current plan. For example - If your Perpetual Plan expires in September 2019 and you chose to purchase 6 Renewals BEFORE July 1, 2019 then your new expiration date will be September 2025.
I just received an email from my Sweetwater rep that there is a cap of 3 renewals; so it seems this information needs to be cleared up by avid as well.

Not that it matters. Avid has turned me nihilist.
Old 18th June 2019
If the other daws are paying attention, today would be a great day to put their stuff on sale.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
If the other daws are paying attention, today would be a great day to put their stuff on sale.
Why? It's already "on sale" compared to Avid.

If one guy is kicking you and everyone else isn't, why do you need an incentive to get away from the guy kicking you?
Old 19th June 2019
Ha, that is kind of true
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

It took them 6 months to release ONE update in 2019 (that added Mojave support a scant seven and a half months after it was released!!!!) and they have the... um... 'business sense' to jack up their already high prices in a competitive market where budgets get smaller by the project?

I love PT and I'm not going to switch DAWS but I'm perfectly comfortable running with 2019.6 until it stops working (NOTE: I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that their crack dev team can get one more update out before 2020! )
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
That’s how I feel. Been using since v. 5. This is the last straw. They want us to pay a monthly subscription for big fixes that are their fault in the first place? And it usually takes a year or more for them to fix the bug? Ludicrous.

I've found Studio One fairly easy to use coming from PT. Not sure it's the best. Cubase is weird. They call things differently and it is sometimes hard to figure out how to activate areas to work on. On the plus side, you can do similar track counts and it allows you to use PT shortcuts.

For me, PT is still easiest.

I have a perpetual license as well that I don't want to give up for a cheaper subscription. For the same price as waiting to renew in September, I may pay for 2 years of renewals or maybe 3 and see what happens next. I think they are going to lose a lot of hobbyists, if they haven't already. I know a lot switched during the recent Cubase/Nuendo sales.

Fortunately for me, I have Studio One and Cubase from when Sonar went away. If crossgrade pricing is available, it is a great deal.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict

This might be the last straw for me. My support plan is due this month so I've only got a couple weeks to decide whether I'm willing to give them $99 to see what one more year brings or just let it lapse now and start searching for a new DAW.

S1 or Reaper perhaps.

I didn't want to learn a new program but maybe learning something new will also spark some new creativity.

I've been a Pro Tools user literally since the beginning and I never thought I'd change.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

I like the part about it being characterized as a quest for giving the customer what they want--some nice orwellian double-speak. And of course "The whole industry is going that way..."
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzilizi View Post
... I think they are going to lose a lot of hobbyists, if they haven't already...
That would be me.

I was toying with the idea of having a look at PT, but certainly not now!!!

I feel for those people who have built their business model around PT and now it's embedded and would find it hard to jump ship.

Avids new attitude has a tinge of "Ransom Ware" about it, or even "Software Rape", definitely Extortion - it's not right.

Reminds me of Adobe's model and why I went back to using CS5.

Disgraceful.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict

I just looked and Reaper is only $60 so if I don't renew my support for $99 I'd save $39 to switch...
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
That would be me.

I was toying with the idea of having a look at PT, but certainly not now!!!

I feel for those people who have built their business model around PT and now it's embedded and would find it hard to jump ship.

Avids new attitude has a tinge of "Ransom Ware" about it, or even "Software Rape", definitely Extortion - it's not right.

Reminds me of Adobe's model and why I went back to using CS5.

Disgraceful.
If you don’t already “need” or incorporate pro tools in your workflow there isn’t a lot of sense to join the party now.

As for adobe...still on cs6 here too (cs5 at work lol)...probably a good system to all lock down with pro tools and not update anymore while cs6 still works. Even though I use cs every day for absolutely everything I do at my day job, I have seen no features/incentives to justify an upgrade...it all works fine and does exactly what it’s supposed to.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

I rarely open PT these days - for a hobbyist / composer, the other options are far superior - and cheaper of course. However, nice to have a version of PT accessible for opening the odd session or to mix things up when recording / mixing. My strategy will probably be quickly buy another renewal for my perpetual plan and then in order to not give that up ever (so I always have at least some version of PT forever without paying unnecessarily), I’ll just get another iLok to sign up for the subscription if I REALLY feel compelled by it (unlikely).
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict

Probably the least Avid could do, is when you sign up, they send you some high performance lubricant. Therefore it would help to alleviate some of the discomfort.

Also, an option where you could pay more, BUT with the added benefit that you get a free set of comfy knee-pads. Similar to those nice velvetish Beyerdynamic DT880 headphone pads. Besides, you know, everyone's doing it these days...

Hang on... great idea!!... Now, where is that phone number for Avid's marketing department.

A new career beckons
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict

I heard back from Avid support that the Ultimate reinstatement will still be available after July 1st at the same price as usual ($999.) I'll probably re-open the support ticket and ask again closer to July 1st to 100% confirm this.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

For anyone thinking of leaving Pro Tools...Studio one is where its at for ease of workflow IMO.

Their are some really cool features and I reckon if you emailed presonus direct and wanted to crossgrade they could do you deal.

There was an offer on not long ago where if you registered a S1 licence by a date you would get the CTC-1 Console shaper for free..I got an email.

I had already registered a couple of weeks before so was not eligible for the deal. A quick email to Presonus asking if they would honour the CTC-1 even though I registered before the deal and no questions asked within seconds the software was in my account and email saying sure thing have a nice day!

PT is built on old code but S1 is slick, loads fast and has seen big gains in V 4.5 (and update I got free)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search