The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves Soundgrid and PT Ultimate.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear
Waves Soundgrid and PT Ultimate.

Hi all,
Is anyone here using Waves Soundgrid with Pro Tools Ultimate?

I already have an Impact Server C and was wondering what interface to get.
The thing is, I would like to continue to use my RME UFXII as my monitor controller I/O etc. (it's great for this because of the flexibility of snapshots for various monitor setups and scenarios)

So I was considering the possibility of using ADAT to route back and forth between SG and the UFX and not induce any extra latency.

I have a spare AVID OMNI and HD Native card lying around if that helps, but I would prefer to avoid those.
(I suppose I could get the DiGiGrid DLI and use the OMNI ADAT 8 x 8... would that work, or its it getting fiddly?)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Matt

Last edited by mattrixx; 18th June 2019 at 02:42 AM..
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
I'm going to get a DLI... Will report how it all goes. Not much info out there about this.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac

FWIW, I had a DLI for a short time and had to send it back. I can't remember the name of the mode but I was basically using it in place of an HD Native card with a Digilink connection to my Lynx Aurora with the HD-LT card in 32 channel mode. It worked great at 44.1 and 48k but would only play back awful digital noise at 88.2 and 96. I went through several calls with Waves and even had a lengthy troubleshooting session with their development team but there was no solution at the time. I had work to do so I sent it back and got an HD Native card instead. Having said all that, I do remember getting a mass email from Waves a few months later that made me think they solved the problem with a software update but don't know for sure since I no longer have the unit. I'm on Windows 10 by the way.

I'm not trying to be discouraging but if you get one I would strongly recommend fully putting it through it's paces as soon as you get it installed. I very stupidly didn't because all of my work at the time was at 44.1 or 48 and I just assumed it was fine until an 88.2 project came in.

Please report back if you get one. I'm actually thinking of trying again since I did like the functionality and I would love to get further away from Avid hardware. The biggest downside was the added software interface but that didn't bother me much.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
I will definitely let you know how I go with it.
I work in TV Radio land, so always at 48k. I will also do some tests 88/96 to see what happens. Note, I am on MacOS though.
cheers
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

In My studio, DLI hardware combined with mytek192,
working in the background of LV1, the sound is very good,
the only shame of AVID limits the third-party interface,max=32 I/O
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

BTW: The audio quality of ADAT will drop, you can consider MADI, dante or AES/EBU transmission.
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear
How do you figure the "drop " in quality, if the clocking is all on song?
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
How do you figure the "drop " in quality, if the clocking is all on song?
Perhaps these years product of ADAT has improved;
In the past years, I have been compared of ADAT and AES IN a team;
Old 23rd June 2019
asio/coreaudio driver for soundgrid

you can just use your interface with soundgrid.
search for "waves soundgrid asio/coreaudio interface"
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear
Yes, I am aware of that and have been doing so. The only thing is, that you cannot track with plugins at low latency in that way.
Old 27th June 2019
Here for the gear

It drops quality, as I think.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallygreen View Post
It drops quality, as I think.
?? Huh ??
Old 9th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Yes, I am aware of that and have been doing so. The only thing is, that you cannot track with plugins at low latency in that way.
I have no experience with tracking through a DigiGrid-Driver-connected Interface.
But generally, for LL-Tracking, you need some Waves/DigiGrid server and SoundGrid Studio in the setup.

I have a DLS for this, and an Omni and HD16x16 hanging on it.
Mostly in SoundGrid mode, but the DLS (and probably the DLI) also speaks DigiLink. Handy for when 32 channels IO aren't sufficient (the limit of PTHD without Avid hardware, HDN or HDX).
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
I already have an impact ServerC and I have a DLI on order.. Will try various scenarios in testing.
Old 29th July 2019
Gear Head

I have a DLI and a server one on order as well.

Will be connecting to HDX. I own a lot of cpu intensive WAVES and Sonnox plugs and really hope this works!

-L

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search