The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2019.5 plugin window bug
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

2019.5 plugin window bug

When I click open a plugin (in the mixer or the edit window), then switch to a different plugin by selecting a different track or insert on the upper left side, the window will close itself. Sometimes, it will open in a new window.
It doesn't do it for every plugin but it does it for some stock plugin which I find odd.

Anybody else got that ?
Suggestions ?

Thanks

Last edited by Jackie Moon; 12th May 2019 at 01:35 AM..
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Is target mode on or off for the plugin window? Do you use eucon (is it turned on)? There are new features in Eucontrol that link windows/selections to the controller (both directions) but they can be turned off.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Is target mode on or off for the plugin window? Do you use eucon (is it turned on)? There are new features in Eucontrol that link windows/selections to the controller (both directions) but they can be turned off.
Thank you for your response.
Target mode is on (?, command click/red light off).
I am indeed using an eucontrol surface control, and you are right. I just un-ticked the plugin option in "attention most recently clicked Daw area" and it now behaves normally. Too bad that that's buggy because it's a pretty nice new feature.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Target mode is the red light on the plugin window (it used to look like a bullseye target before they changed it to be a red light.) It should be off if you want the window to stay when you are switching to other plugins.

Quote:
I am indeed using an eucontrol surface control, and you are right. I just un-ticked the plugin option in "attention most recently clicked Daw area" and it now behaves normally. Too bad that that's buggy because it's a pretty nice new feature.
That's not the bug, really, though that area isn't 100% yet. Are you on the latest Eucontrol? There are a lot of ways to operate now. You need to change a few things to make it they way you want. First are all the options in "Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area" -- you probably just want a few of those off. Then on the other side of that same "General" tab in Eucontrol, you'll want to change the option on "Open Windows on Workstation When Editing:" and the "Close Windows on Workstation When Exiting". Also, the "Attention" options at the top of the left column (I have Legacy off.) Try a few combos until you find it doing what you want but keeping the new stuff. There are just a lot of options and depending on which combo, both the surface and Pro Tools behave differently.

Took me a few.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Target mode is the red light on the plugin window (it used to look like a bullseye target before they changed it to be a red light.) It should be off if you want the window to stay when you are switching to other plugins.

That's not the bug, really, though that area isn't 100% yet. Are you on the latest Eucontrol? There are a lot of ways to operate now. You need to change a few things to make it they way you want. First are all the options in "Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area" -- you probably just want a few of those off. Then on the other side of that same "General" tab in Eucontrol, you'll want to change the option on "Open Windows on Workstation When Editing:" and the "Close Windows on Workstation When Exiting". Also, the "Attention" options at the top of the left column (I have Legacy off.) Try a few combos until you find it doing what you want but keeping the new stuff. There are just a lot of options and depending on which combo, both the surface and Pro Tools behave differently.

Took me a few.
Thanks Pentagon.
I am on the latest eucontrol.
I like the new features overall, and I'll have to adapt/adjust to the new options. There remain some inconsistency on my end with the plugin window (Target mode off) when I switch the track and/or insert on the upper left corner of that window.

While we're at it, I haven't been able to add favorite plugins in the AudioSuite menu since pro tools 12. Nor can I open AudioSuite plugins directly in target mode off by shift clicking on them.
Trashing pref doesn't do it...
Any idea ?
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
While we're at it, I haven't been able to add favorite plugins in the AudioSuite menu since pro tools 12.
Command + Click is to add a plugin (or remove) a favourite. Are you saying that isn't working for you?

Quote:
Nor can I open AudioSuite plugins directly in target mode off by shift clicking on them.
Trying to understand: you want to open the plugin with target mode off but shift+click isn't working? Still working here.

Might need more details. What macOS are your running and system (Ultimate or regular)? Do you have Pete Gates free little utility app PT Prefs? Have you done a complete trash of everything from that utility (so it can even rebuild the plugins list)?

Have you verified all your plugins are up-to-date? Even ones not in use can affect functionality of the others in Pro Tools.

If you create a new administrative user on your computer from system preferences, log into that account, then open Pro Tools, do these functions work?

Last edited by pentagon; 12th May 2019 at 06:30 PM..
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Command + Click is to add a plugin (or remove) a favourite. Are you saying that isn't working for you?
That's right, command + click isn't working for me.

Quote:
Trying to understand: you want to open the plugin with target mode off but shift+click isn't working? Still working here.
Shift + click isn't working for me either

Quote:
Might need more details. What macOS are your running and system (Ultimate or regular)? Do you have Pete Gates free little utility app PT Prefs? Have you done a complete trash of everything from that utility (so it can even rebuild the plugins list)?
Running the regular PT on Mojave at home (since updating to 2019.5). I always tried to follow Avid's system as much as possibl, I definitely do in regard to the OS.
I also have that exact same problem at work, running PT ultimate 2018.10 on High Sierra. The problem also appear there after updating to PT 12...
I just installed Pete Gate's app, but I trashed my pref.

Quote:
Have you verified all your plugins are up-to-date? Even ones not in use can affect functionality of the others in Pro Tools.
Yes, they were for sure 6 months ago, but I've had that problem for at least a couple years now.

Quote:
If you create a new administrative user on your computer from system preferences, log into that account, then open Pro Tools, do these functions work?
Just tried that and couldn't get these functions to work either.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just installed Pete Gate's app, but I trashed my pref.
Did you trash everything in the top right column of Pete's app? That all needs to go.

Do you run any helper apps? The fact this happens on two systems (home and work) and has never happened on about 20 different systems I use monthly for any version of Pro Tools, seems it has to be connected to something used that isn't "standard".

So helper apps like Keyboard Maestro, Quickeys, Teleport, Synergy? All of these can capture keyboard and mouse presses so if something is set up off in them, it can do stuff like this. So trying to narrow it down to background processes.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you trash everything in the top right column of Pete's app? That all needs to go.

Do you run any helper apps? The fact this happens on two systems (home and work) and has never happened on about 20 different systems I use monthly for any version of Pro Tools, seems it has to be connected to something used that isn't "standard".

So helper apps like Keyboard Maestro, Quickeys, Teleport, Synergy? All of these can capture keyboard and mouse presses so if something is set up off in them, it can do stuff like this. So trying to narrow it down to background processes.
No helper apps here. My thought was 3rd party plugins but I don't use anything too obscure... mostly fabfilter, softube, soundtoys, izotope, stuff like that..

So you think I should trash everything "11+" on Pete's app even though I did a full pref thrash this morning ?
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you think I should trash everything "11+" on Pete's app even though I did a full pref thrash this morning ?
Yes
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you trash everything in the top right column of Pete's app? That all needs to go
I tried that but it didn't seam to do the trick unfortunately (made my computer crash though)
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Might be actually getting somewhere. Trashing and then restarting shouldn’t cause a crash unless it scanned something bad. Did you see what caused it to crash? Can you see the crash log in Console?
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

I'm afraid that I wouldn't know what to make of log crash...

Edit : after a few more days a couple of computer crashes on each of them, I reverted to High sierra

Last edited by Jackie Moon; 17th May 2019 at 11:21 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search