The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing high end home protools rig
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Head

Choosing high end home protools rig

Just typed this whole thread out and phone died before I could find a charger. Bleh.

I’m looking to upgrade my home studio to give me the most processing power and highest sound quality to allow me to work at home on projects recorded in bigger studios.

I currently have a MacBook Pro with pt 10. Super glitchy but gets the job done for on the go.

Mac mini quad core. Pt10. Usually use with a silver face apogee ensemble or Apollo twin mk1. Works well but doesn’t have the seamless power I want.

iMac quad core with pt12. The computer as a whole is one giant glitch.

My question is this...

Which path should I take to get the results I’m looking for?

Mac pro 8 or 12 core (upgradable, pci)
Symphony io mk1
Uad pci
Upgrade to pt10 hd.

This would probably be the most cost effective and allow me to upgrade some pieces along the way.
Cons might be:
no 64 bit plugins
Pretty much stuck on pt10 as long as I have this system.
Offline. Bounce.

Or

Upgrade computer to maybe newer iMac or sell a kidney for a Mac trash can.
Upgrade to a bigger Apollo
Stick with pt12

This system won’t be used strictly for mixing. I have 8 500 series preamps I use for tracking and overdubs at home. Also if I go the pt10 route. I will be keeping the iMac for production in logic and keep pt12.

Thanks for any input guys. If I’m looking over anything that will hold me back with a pt10 system please let t me know!
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt audio View Post
I’m looking to upgrade my home studio to give me the most processing power and highest sound quality to allow me to work at home on projects recorded in bigger studios.
You want the most processing power and highest sound quality and yet you are going to use Protools?? and on a Mac? That doesn't make too much sense.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
You want the most processing power and highest sound quality and yet you are going to use Protools?? and on a Mac? That doesn't make too much sense.
Protools is the standard DAW that I can use in any studio and pass along session files to anyone. Tens of thousands of brilliant sounding records have been made in protools. Stop trollin
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
and on a Mac?
I’m not opposed to running a pc running OS. I’ve used them before and they’re great. I just don’t know where to start with buying/building one. I like the os layout and I’m comfortable and fast in that as is.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt audio View Post
Protools is the standard DAW that I can use in any studio and pass along session files to anyone. Tens of thousands of brilliant sounding records have been made in protools. Stop trollin
lol Tens of thousands of brilliant sounding Protools records is the whole reason why people still romanticize about analog tape.
Fact of the matter is protools hardware is crap. The 192 and 002 had single handedly put a black mark on digital recording. Some of the worst sounding records are still being made with that garbage too. Sad.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Fact of the matter is protools hardware is crap. The 192 and 002 had single handedly put a black mark on digital recording. Some of the worst sounding records are still being made with that garbage too. Sad.
Bro what are you talking about...how does this have anything to do with what I’m asking. Are you trying to say I should buy a tape machine?
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

My limited experience has me moderately impressed with Pro Tools v12 on iMacs. I prefer the desktop models of Macs for PT.

Also, newer Avid interfaces sound pretty darn good. I know you weren't looking to get one... just sayin.. No experience with the interfaces you mention though.

I personally also think PT12 is worth it over v10, if you still have a choice in the matter.

PS: I do editing / mixing on PT, not music production using VSTi, so..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search