The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HD to HDX processing question
Old 1st May 2019
HD to HDX processing question

I'm FINALLY upgrading from HD3 to HDX... I know, I know Anyway, I'm in the middle of an all ITB project and am wondering if I should finish before changing out the cards. Is the processing math any different or should it be the same from HD to HDX as long as I stay on PT10 for this project?

Thanks for any info or insight!
Old 1st May 2019
Ok, so I just read that from HD to HDX the DSP processing does change from 24b to 32b for DSP plugins and from 48b to 64b for the mix summing. So I'll just plan on keeping HD installed a little longer.

Just for the sake of discussion, the only session I'm worried about is a small mastering session where I believe all of the plugins are non DSP aax, so I'm thinking there "shouldn't" be any sonic change there... But can anyone comment on the difference between the 48b HD and 64b HDX summing?

Maybe I'll do null and compare and contrast tests for kicks after the job is done. Though, that's probably a moot point this far into the life of HDX lol
Old 2nd May 2019
I wouldn't really stress about the differences all that much. Wrap whatever projects that you have running in HD, and start whatever new projects you might have coming up in HDX. I think I can hear an improvement in the sound quality of HDX, but one of the biggest changes is that it uses a consistent floating point maths throughout the signal chain. HD doesn't. The conduits between the mix engine and the DSP plugin processing is only 24 bit fixed point, which means poor gain staging and plugins that clip inputs or outputs are actually actually clipping. HDX is much more forgiving in that regard, thanks to the floating point math.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search