The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using S/PDIF
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear
Using S/PDIF

Hey Guys,

I've been doing some research on expanding number of inputs on my system. I recently went ahead and ordered a Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic to hook up to my Digi 003 rack plus giving me a total of 16 inputs.

Original thread here if it interests you: Two Audio Interfaces Together. Specifically...

However, the thing that has been in the back of my mind is that I can still use S/PDIF for two more inputs.

The reason I am contemplating this is mainly for my drum kit. I have a 6 piece kit and by the time I mic up the top & bottom of each drum, in and out of the kick, one mic on the hihat, two overheads, and two room mics, I am up to 17 inputs.

Obviously this isn't detrimental, but something I'm curious about doing.

I have an old MBox2 Pro with S/PDIF that I could connect to my Digi 003 rack plus.

So my question is, are there any known issues about doing this? What kind of configuration would I have to do within Pro Tools to make this happen, if it is even possible?

I guess what I'm really asking is, is it straight forward enough to just connect the S/PDIF on the MBox2 to the Digi 003, configure the I/O in Pro Tools, and I'm good to go?

My gut feel is that it isn't because I would need to configure the I/O on the MBox (route mic pres to S/PDIF) - and that needs to be connected with Pro Tools at the same time as my Digi 003 which, isn't possible.

It would be nice to find a way to make that work instead of having to buy a 2-channel preamp with S/PDIF.

Last edited by smcleod; 30th April 2019 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Old 30th April 2019
In theory you could use a second computer for the Mbox, like a spare laptop. Some interfaces have "standalone" mode for computer-less use, not sure if that's the case with the one you have in hand, do some googling and GS searching to check anyway.

Pro Tools configuration would be the same as ADAT. Nothing special. It's just another route from interface to software, no worries there.
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
In theory you could use a second computer for the Mbox, like a spare laptop. Some interfaces have "standalone" mode for computer-less use, not sure if that's the case with the one you have in hand, do some googling and GS searching to check anyway.

Pro Tools configuration would be the same as ADAT. Nothing special. It's just another route from interface to software, no worries there.
According to this none of the Avid/Digidesign interfaces have a standalone mode.

Bummer. Thanks for mentioning it though because I had no idea some interfaces even did that.

I do have a second laptop that I could use with the MBOX. I have done it. But frankly it's a pain in the butt to export the audio, then import it into the main session, then line it up. I think the only logical way around it would be to sync the systems via MIDI/Ethernet/Wordclock. That way I shouldn't have to worry about lining up the imported audio as they would all have the same start time.

Still a pain though...

I might just hold off as it's not vital... should be getting my ADAT OctoPre in the next few days anyways.

Thanks for your help!
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

the 003 well accept 8 ADAT channels and the SPDIF pair discreet at the same time
Distribute WC to both the OCTO and MBOX and lock

The trick will be configuring the mbox as it's firewire

The drivers do list a stand alone mode though. If your current computer has firewire at least you can hook up your mbox and configure it.
Old 3rd May 2019
Here for the gear
Oh so the MBOX does have stand alone mode? Yeah I'm on an old mac pro 1,1. I have two firewire ports so that's not an issue. I guess I'll have to dig on how to configure the MBOX for stand alone mode....
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcleod View Post
Oh so the MBOX does have stand alone mode? Yeah I'm on an old mac pro 1,1. I have two firewire ports so that's not an issue. I guess I'll have to dig on how to configure the MBOX for stand alone mode....
If the COMP you're on with the 003 is the comp with the fire wire, you can just plug the mbox in and control it without using it as your IO. It's possible you won't need stand alone.

I look at the driver notes for it which does note stand alone. I would try to just plug it in and configure it with the MBOX APP and leave it plugged in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search