The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro tools 10 best version and best osx version
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear
Pro tools 10 best version and best osx version

Hello i would really appreciate any help. Im dedicating a old imac just for a protools rig. It has 16gb of ram and is very capable. for opening and transferring old projects and working in pt when it calls for it. (Ive moved on to other daws.)

I would like to know whats the best and most stable combo of pt 10 and osx. Not whats the latest or if it will run on unsupported osx. This is more or less gonna be a stand alone multitrack
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

I ran PT10 on Mountain Lion for several years with zero issues.
Just upgraded to PT12 and High Sierra a few months ago to be able to keep up with other software upgrades that ceased compatibility with Mountain Lion.
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
I ran PT10 on Mountain Lion for several years with zero issues.
Just upgraded to PT12 and High Sierra a few months ago to be able to keep up with other software upgrades that ceased compatibility with Mountain Lion.
Hey thank you so much. Were you using 10.3.8 again I really appreciate it. Yeah I updated my rig as well and the ability to start a project on my phone or ipad and have it end in logic has just been life changing. Im not pay $300.00 a year for protoils i may be a luddite but i paid $200.00 for logic x years ago and the new pro tools didn’t impress me enough to go on with it. But im not a pro ������
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer81 View Post
Hello i would really appreciate any help. Im dedicating a old imac just for a protools rig. It has 16gb of ram and is very capable. for opening and transferring old projects and working in pt when it calls for it. (Ive moved on to other daws.)

I would like to know whats the best and most stable combo of pt 10 and osx. Not whats the latest or if it will run on unsupported osx. This is more or less gonna be a stand alone multitrack
PT 10.3.8 on osx 10.8.5 is very stable, been running for the last 4 years.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

The last one is 10.3.10 & is very stable with Mavericks (10.9.5), even though not technically supported by Avid. Runs very smoothly & still using it.
Old 1st May 2019
I've run PT 10.3.8 on OSX ML 10.8.5 for years without issue. I recently installed PT 10.3.10 which seems really stable too. Just avoid PT 10.3.9 like the plague lol

That said, like mbvoxx, I'm in the middle of upgrading everything for similar reasons. ML and PT10 are really on the edge of support for even the most generous software companies.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
All up and running again on what i call my radar imac lol. Mountain lion and 10.3.10. Stable as hell. Im getting off the avaid and subscription wagon And im happy. I will going full ios in the next year probably. And all my old pro tools and logic and plugs and instruments will be used as outboard fx processing. No mire mouse and keyboard killing my creativity

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search