The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Pro Tools Mac Mini combo?
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Best Pro Tools Mac Mini combo?

Hey guys,

Just finishing a new studio build out and need a little help figuring which Mac mini and pro tools combo works best.

Is the 2018 mac mini the last upgradelable mac mini?

Whcih OSX version is best for Pro tools 12?

And which version of 12 is most stable?

Thanks guys!
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Addict
subscribing to this, as i'm in the same boat!

looking into a 2018 Mac Mini 3.2 ghz 6 core i7 with a 512 GB SSD and an after market ram upgrade to 32 GB.

from what i understand, Pro Tools is still not compatible with the newest Mac OS, so you'd have to downgrade to High Sierra.
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

anyone?
Old 7th May 2019
TJ5
Gear Nut
Wish I could help you guys out but I'm using Pro Tools 11 on a 2014 Mac mini running OSX 10.10 (Yosemite). Using an Apollo Twin Quad Mk2, Softube Console 1, Digi002 (as a control surface), with UAD and native plugins like AIR, Audified, Eventide, iZotope, Klanghelm, Metric Halo, NI, P&M, PSP, Softube, Tokyo Dawn, and Waves and I haven't had any major problems so far.

My sister works at Apple so I'll see if she knows anything about future models of the mac mini.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
Mac Mini 2018 can’t be downgraded to OS High Sierra. Pro Tools 2019.5 was released today and includes OS Mojave Support.
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

I'm bumping this as I'm currently considering replacing a Mac Mini 2012 server model. Primarily running pro tools 2019.5 on a Mojave system but could do with more firepower.

I'm guessing buying one direct from Apple would have Catalina installed, would it be possible to roll back the OS to one that doesn't cripple plugins?
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
I'm bumping this as I'm currently considering replacing a Mac Mini 2012 server model. Primarily running pro tools 2019.5 on a Mojave system but could do with more firepower.

I'm guessing buying one direct from Apple would have Catalina installed, would it be possible to roll back the OS to one that doesn't cripple plugins?
Yes.

That machine originally shipped with Mojave, so you can erase the HD and install that OS on it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search