The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New to Pro tools and need help with Drums
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

New to Pro tools and need help with Drums

Hi everyone

Total newbie to DAW's. Well I spent two years recording stuff at home for fun in Audacity until I discovered that really its not a DAW.

I have now installed Pro Tools First and Im sort of getting away with it mainly by blundering my way through but I am really struggling with Drums. I do covers but also write my own stuff. Ive been through all the drum loops and they are all very Hip Hop Drum and Bass type stuff. Ive watched a video on creating your own drum loops and ive had a go but its painful to be honest as I dont really know what I am doing.

For example I picked an Ocean Colour Scene track to cover, this one. YouTube I cant get close to those drums and they should be pretty simple.

Is there a repository of Pro Tools Drum loops anywhere? Can someone point me in the direction of any useful guides or how I might recreate something similar myself?

Thanks
Old 6th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hi there
Im using Steve slate 4 drums and they are great loads if kits interchangeable and editable

Pro tools 12
Win 10
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A WOOD View Post
Hi there
Im using Steve slate 4 drums and they are great loads if kits interchangeable and editable

Pro tools 12
Win 10
OP is on Pro Tools First. He can’t use any plugins not bought through Avid. He won’t be able to use what you’ve recommended
Old 6th May 2019
Here for the gear

Thats a bummer
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza Bingo View Post
Hi everyone

Total newbie to DAW's. Well I spent two years recording stuff at home for fun in Audacity until I discovered that really its not a DAW.

I have now installed Pro Tools First and Im sort of getting away with it mainly by blundering my way through but I am really struggling with Drums. I do covers but also write my own stuff. Ive been through all the drum loops and they are all very Hip Hop Drum and Bass type stuff. Ive watched a video on creating your own drum loops and ive had a go but its painful to be honest as I dont really know what I am doing.

For example I picked an Ocean Colour Scene track to cover, this one. YouTube I cant get close to those drums and they should be pretty simple.

Is there a repository of Pro Tools Drum loops anywhere? Can someone point me in the direction of any useful guides or how I might recreate something similar myself?

Thanks
Get into ExpandII drum kits and start making your own loops. Sure it will take some learning but you will have started down the right path.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Maniac

He should be able to use a drum machine - which in turn can be recorded in both audio and midi - then if he uses one of the PT drum plugins at least it will sound more like a real drummer.

I have PT10 and I use an Alesis SR16 drum machine - but I just encode the midi and then I use a plugin to play the drums. The SR does not sound bad, but the plugin sounds better.

Adding a compressor to the audio track (and EQ) also really fattens them up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search