The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing knob plugin for pro tools? DAW Software
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Summing knob plugin for pro tools?

Hi everyone,

like many people I often record things with two different mics (for example a guitar amp with a ribbon and condenser microphone) and then blend them together to get the optimum sound. This can be done by soloing and then moving the faders until it sounds good. However it would be really great to be able listen to the full mix with guitar as part of the mix and turn a knob which blended the signals together at various ratios while the volume remained constant. Does anyone know if such a thing exists in plugin form that is compatible with Pro Tools 12?

I have a mid side matrix hardware box made by Greg Norman at Electrical Audio that blends the omni and fig 8 capsules of our Josephson C700s using a knob. It's a brilliant way to objectively find the 'sweet spot' and it would be amazing if something like this existed in the digital domain.

Thanks and please let me know if you think this query would be better suited to being somewhere else on the forum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I don't know ProTools, but you can easily do this in Studio One with an included utility plugin and I'm sure PT has something similar (if not there are free ones, like DMG track control). In SO it's called Binaural Pan and basically has a Width control, a Mono button and a Pan knob. Simply merge the two files into a stereo one (I assume you can also do this in PT), put two instances of the plugin one after the other, engage Mono in the second one and use the Pan in the first one as your blend control. You may also want to match the levels of the two tracks before merging them to ensure the volume is more or less constant as you pan, or use a third instance of the plugin before the other two to balance the levels.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
I don't know ProTools, but you can easily do this in Studio One with an included utility plugin and I'm sure PT has something similar. In SO it's called Binaural Pan and basically has a Width control, a Mono button and a Pan knob. Simply merge the two files into a stereo one, put two instances of the plugin one after the other, engage Mono in the second one and use the Pan in the first one as your blend control.
Or in any DAW, hard pan each signal and send them to a stereo bus which itself feeds a mono bus. Panning the stereo bus with a stereo panner should give
the desired result.

Alistair
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search