The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Focusrite C24 with new computer and software? Utility Software
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

Digidesign Focusrite C24 with new computer and software?

Hello all,

I've been left with the task of updating a recording studio for a Boys and Girls Club. The recording studio is beautifully built but the technology is 10 years old and out of date. It has not been used for many years. The computer is still running on snow leopard lol.

There is a working Digidesign Focusrite C24 in the studio that I would like to keep.

My question, will the C24 work ok with a brand new computer and up to date ProTools/Logic Pro X software???

I would love to keep it if possible but not sure if it will just take up space and not work the way it should. We don't really have a budget for a new console of that size. Is it worth keeping or is it worth saying goodbye to?

I don't have much experience with the C24 and don't know anyone currently using one in their studio so any insight is much appreciated.

And this is the older C24 made by Digidesign/Focusrite, not the Avid console.

Thanks guys

Last edited by shanebgcv; 4th April 2019 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: Grammer, updating question.
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
My question, will the C24 work ok with a brand new computer and up to date ProTools/Logic Pro X software???
All you have to do is find out what operating system your new computer will be and then go to Digi's website and see if they have drivers written for it. It should work and its a nice console. 10 years old is NOT that bad. Studios keep consoles like that for longer.

I would keep it, but that is up to you and the space you have.

Last edited by CJ Mastering; 5th April 2019 at 02:10 PM..
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Maniac

The C24 will work great with the latest version of Protools!

The C24 will be the least of your worries.

Do you know what cards are in the computer? if any? What interface is being used for Protools?

The interface will be your biggest issue. Go have a look and get back to us. You'll get much better advice.
Old 5th April 2019
the focusrite control 24 "officially" stops working with PT 11 and beyond. However, someone has made a 3rd party driver that from what i have read, has allowed it to work with PT11 and newer. I sold mine off a while ago so i don't know how true that is or if it is buggy. But i've read nothing but good things. in the end the drivers don't cost anything so it's not like it will cost anything to update on it.

If you want to play it safe, you can get a copy of pro tools 10 and go from there. If you jump to 11 and newer, keep in mind that all the legacy plugins that are RTAS and VST do not work since PT11 is 64-bit so it uses AAX-64 plugins. most plugin manufacturers came out with AAX versions of their plugins when PT11 dropped but that might no longer be the case with your setup so don't be surprised if you want to migrate plugins over.

This also could affect any PT sessions on the old machine that can in theory, be loaded into the new version of protools, but the plugins will no longer work. But if no one has any saved sessions on there, than this should not be an issue.

But i would look back into the 3rd party driver for the control 24. check out the avid pro-tools forum under gearslutz or the DUC (digidesign Users community) which has been around for ages, before avid bought Digidesign.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Maniac

He's got a c24, not a control 24.

The control 24 stopped working after protools 10. The c24 is still supported in the latest version.
Old 6th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 View Post
He's got a c24, not a control 24.

The control 24 stopped working after protools 10. The c24 is still supported in the latest version.
His last sentence states he has the older focusrite digidesign one, not the avid.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethbyoogabooga View Post
His last sentence states he has the older focusrite digidesign one, not the avid.
Ah. Good point!

Nice detective work....
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

The C24 has no focusrite preamps...
So i think, he mean the Control 24...

This device does not work with the actual Protools or Logic or any other DAW...

But Neyrinck released V-Control Pro, where the Control 24 is supported for PT and Logic. You can use the main controls of the Control 24 (Faders and knobs)...

In case its a Avid C24 (or a Digidesign version), you can use it with Protools 2018. But as it is a Protools control surface, you cannot use it with any other Daw, like Logic or Cubase and co...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search