The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avid HDX I/O vs Apollo X
Old 6th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat View Post
The extra layer that UAD Console adds is not too bad but it does add a layer of complexity.

I switched from a TDM system to UAD and I miss the simplicity.

It would completely be a luxury but I have considered moving to HDX because of it...
Exactly. If you've only got one or two mics live, it's easy to know what you're recording; if you've got 16 live, it'd be easy to lose track of things. Without a cue mixer, if you can hear it you know it's being recorded!
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve been using the UAD platform regularly with 12 - 14 mics. It’s just not that complicated once you get used to it. Don’t know what the fuss is all about. Never used HDX so again I don’t know what the fuss is about but I do know that Apollo sounds good. Once everything is set up, a simple task with templates, it’s all about the performance.
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I’ve been using the UAD platform regularly with 12 - 14 mics. It’s just not that complicated once you get used to it. Don’t know what the fuss is all about. Never used HDX so again I don’t know what the fuss is about but I do know that Apollo sounds good. Once everything is set up, a simple task with templates, it’s all about the performance.
Sure. I’d say try hdx sometime and compare! It’s just one less thing to deal with, and it makes moving things around much quicker.

As i said - the uad stuff is good enough that if I was running my own production space, I’d probably do abs you are. But if I’m hiring somewhere for a band, I’d expect hdx and wouldn’t be settling for less!
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Sure. I’d say try hdx sometime and compare! It’s just one less thing to deal with, and it makes moving things around much quicker.

As i said - the uad stuff is good enough that if I was running my own production space, I’d probably do abs you are. But if I’m hiring somewhere for a band, I’d expect hdx and wouldn’t be settling for less!
What exactly is it that you consider the more of HDX? For instance, when you write "it makes moving things around much quicker" I'm wondering, what "things"?

I'm also curious as to whether you have actually used the Apollo platform much and if not, what are you basing all this on?

I am not in any way trying to challenge you. It is at least difficult to make decisions on this or that gear platform based on the communicated experiences of others. But because we can't all use each different platform extensively to make our decisions, considering what others say has its place.
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
What exactly is it that you consider the more of HDX? For instance, when you write "it makes moving things around much quicker" I'm wondering, what "things"?

I'm also curious as to whether you have actually used the Apollo platform much and if not, what are you basing all this on?
I can give you my input. I downscaled a few years ago to the Apollo and it works as advertised but it adds another layer (console application) that simply doesn't exist with HDX.

All of the things you use the UAD Console application for are seamlessly integrated into Pro Tools with an HDX system.

You can do everything with the UAD solution but with HDX running a session with a whole band is much easier...
Old 18th June 2019
Quote:

I am not in any way trying to challenge you. It is at least difficult to make decisions on this or that gear platform based on the communicated experiences of others. But because we can't all use each different platform extensively to make our decisions, considering what others say has its place.
I own a twin; I’ve used the bigger interfaces, and I’ve used multiple other cue systems. I think I’m qualified to comment!

HDX - just works. As texascat says there’s one less window, one fewer place for things to get confused. In HDX, you create a track, arm it and you have a near zero latency monitoring path (unless you do some dumb routing). If you can hear it live, you’re recording it. Unlike with a cue mixer system where the balance can change on playback, or you can hear something live that’s not being recorded.

On a small session, that’s not much of an issue. On a multi mic session it might be. On a fast moving large scale session, it’s a deal breaker for me.

But again - if it’s my own setup, where I’d be using it day in/out and no one else changing things round, I’d find it hard to justify hdx instead. You could easily make this work. I just wouldn’t want it in a freelancing situation.
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post

PS - I rebel heavily against claims of "no latency". The echo effect is certainly annoying - but for singers and acoustic instrument players - the comb filtering between the monitor and direct signal can be a huge impact on what the performer hears. Most will disagree but this is my experience - over and over - over many years. That said - if it sounds right to you - then it is :-). Pure and simple.
I agree very much, so the band recording monitor or singer monitor must be in real time, such as a hardware mixer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search