The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Importing audio DAW Software
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear
Importing audio

So, in Pro Tools, if you want to import a clip with a sample rate different to that of the session, if you want to play back at the 'correct' speed then you need to convert it.

My question is, with the DAWs within which you can drag a sample with any sample rate and it play back at the 'correct' speed - what is going on under the hood of those DAWs (Ableton, Reaper etc)?
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Head

Those DAWs are doing live sample rate conversions on the tracks/audio that don't match the session's sample rate. I'm not a reaper/live user, but while this is a pretty slick thing to have, it's probably not best from a sonic purity standpoint - Offline SRCs are capable of better performance, and every track that requires live resampling will of course add more CPU overhead. That said, the difference in quality may not matter to you. At least in Reaper you can set the SRC algorithm to trade off quality for CPU overhead (may not be necessary given current CPU power and would also depend on the size of your session) - don't know if that same ability exists in Live.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Head
So if you drags files from GarageBand at 44.1 for instance into the protools clip browser in a session that is 24bit, 96k, should that be imported/converted by a different method? they do play fine and correctly ....up until now. I now have a session that load but when you click play it flashed the play button and in the lower left corner says "paused". you will eventually have to crash out.

i hope this is the reason....
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks so much Rich, have always been curious about this. Now am wondering about the trade offs in quality we get in Ableton and Reaper et al, and whether this trade off affects final renders down the line.
Old 20th March 2019
I use Reaper - there is no audible effect from importing a file with the wrong sample rate from what I remember , but if I recall that it does increase CPU load on the project. I had tracked a bunch of stuff at 96k at one point and now only work at 44.1k.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Guru

I think Reapers playback resample mode is in the project settings section. it's usually 64pt sinc. its render resample mode might usually be higher. you can also set the project base sample rate there too. with re pitching and time stretching the difference between 64pt playback condition and the highest setting can become increasingly obvious, the more extreme the pitch and time differences are.

if you want best performance and highest quality in sample rate conversion, then you can set the render mode to highest, select the track and then select Track / Render / Freeze.

that should then render that track to the project sample rate and at the highest interpolation.
Old 1st April 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks so much, led me onto this for anyone who might be interested: Q. Can you explain Reaper’s Playback Resample mode? |
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search