The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking of getting a control surface (Artist Mix)...but should I wait? Control Surfaces
Old 2 weeks ago
Thinking of getting a control surface (Artist Mix)...but should I wait?

Hello all!

So, I have finally got my finances in order to build my home studio and I want to get a control surface. I'm looking at the Artist Mix, as it seems to have the features I want (though ideally it would have 16 channels) and is within the price range I am looking for.

However, the Artist Mix is well, old! It came out in what, 2011? Considering the deal made with the wife was whatever I get now needs to keep me satisfied for a good few years, I am a little worried that if I buy the Artist Mix now, something new is going to come out just around the corner. (I held off on getting my MacBook Pro last year until May, and then a few months later they upgraded the I7s to the I9's and I've been kicking myself since! :( )

Any rumors or insight here on what I should do?
Old 6 days ago

OK I'll give ya .02cents. Don't know what's around the corner but I've had one for a few years and it works great. It's has a quality feel and the accuracy of the faders and knobs are way better than a mouse. In my post above I was concerned about the longevity of the controller. The respondents affirmed its viability.
Maybe in this price/performance range there isn't anything and B and P stuff isn't even close in function and quality. It's the Ether connection thing, way more finess. Just a word about hooking it up. This wasn't a plug and play experience for me. With the help of a Tec, from Avid, it got installed, took 11/2 hrs. and I would have never figured it out. The product spec's on line are not accurate. Be sure your sales guy says "oh yah we'll connect you to Avid Tec for help on the install" and calls them directly, this will put you at the front of the line for help. IMO
It works great just a bit of a pain to install.
Old 5 days ago
I decided to pick one up, thanks for the insights
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
BTW i found one on eBay for $300, like new and works great.
Old 2 days ago
Motown legend

It was released in early 2008! Combined with the iPad app, it's really nice. It will probably be supported for some time because Avids new consoles use the same protocol.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search