The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend me Pro Tools for my System - HELP! DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Recommend me Pro Tools for my System - HELP!

Hey girls & boys!

I am first timer here on ProTools Forums. So, pelase be patient with me for a while and don't laugh if I ask some really silly questions. I need help. And I'll tell you why right now.

I have (old) Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2009./some call it Late 2008.) 2x2.8 GHz Intel Xeon CPUs (I have 2 faster CPUs, 2x3.2 GHz which are max. CPU speed but somehow never to find time to switch those buggers!), 64 GB RAM, 2 x SSD drives inside + one regular (platter) which came with the machine. Machine is really powerfull workhorse but IT IS OBSOLETE, I know. A museum exhibit.

Oh yeah, I run 10.11.6, maximum OS X version for that MacPro 3,1 machine!

Which Pro Tools version would you recommend so I could work as painless as possible? I have a bunch of (all legal) 64-bit plugins from various manufacturers. And some OTB too... But, platform is what interest me the most now regarding ProTools! I read also something like "regular" PT, HD, HDX,... What's up with that? Do I need some dedicated hardware to get from AVID or from other manufacturers as well? or not? Will my OTB Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 will do as an audio interface? CoreAudio Drivers have something to do with this too? Or not? Well, those kind of questions as you can see...

Thank you in advance for your time, patience and understanding of course and I am (really am!) looking forward reading your replies and all of your suggestions and explanations!

Best reagrds to you all here from Zagreb, Croatia!

Krešo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

what version of Pro TOols .. the latest one of course !!! your 10.11.6 OS is still on the list !!

Pro Tools Operating System Compatibility Chart
Attached Thumbnails
Recommend me Pro Tools for my System - HELP!-screen-shot-2019-02-12-11.35.44-am.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Hey girls & boys!

I am first timer here on ProTools Forums. So, pelase be patient with me for a while and don't laugh if I ask some really silly questions. I need help. And I'll tell you why right now.

I have (old) Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2009./some call it Late 2008.) 2x2.8 GHz Intel Xeon CPUs (I have 2 faster CPUs, 2x3.2 GHz which are max. CPU speed but somehow never to find time to switch those buggers!), 64 GB RAM, 2 x SSD drives inside + one regular (platter) which came with the machine. Machine is really powerfull workhorse but IT IS OBSOLETE, I know. A museum exhibit.

Oh yeah, I run 10.11.6, maximum OS X version for that MacPro 3,1 machine!

Which Pro Tools version would you recommend so I could work as painless as possible? I have a bunch of (all legal) 64-bit plugins from various manufacturers. And some OTB too... But, platform is what interest me the most now regarding ProTools! I read also something like "regular" PT, HD, HDX,... What's up with that? Do I need some dedicated hardware to get from AVID or from other manufacturers as well? or not? Will my OTB Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 will do as an audio interface? CoreAudio Drivers have something to do with this too? Or not? Well, those kind of questions as you can see...

Thank you in advance for your time, patience and understanding of course and I am (really am!) looking forward reading your replies and all of your suggestions and explanations!

Best reagrds to you all here from Zagreb, Croatia!

Krešo
Looks like you can run up to 2018.12 on your OS

There is technically only one PT But there are two feature set options , PT (regular) and PT Ultimate (formally HD) the license you purchase resides on your iLok and determines which one you can run. I would probably get Regular PT, unless you need surround sound capability

All of your current 3 rd party plugins that offer PT''s proprietary AAX format will work (if current to the PT version number)

Your Focusrite will work fine , but you will be limited to 32 channels of I/O

Last edited by KevWind; 1 week ago at 12:04 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

jwh1192, KevWind - thank you!

So, thnx both. jwh1192, I can understand your surprise but be patient. Latest? OK. Cool. I am aware that some of my questions are simple or silly even. I get that. I saw that list you've posted but still I hought better to hear from someone who's using PT, version, glitches, bugs... I saw that list but it's been unclear a bit those min.-max. OS capabilities you know. But, thank you really.

As for you KevWind, thank you as well. You have been more to the point regarding my needs. I don't need surround. At the moment anyway. So, at the moment I'll read more about PT Regular.

All other info about which version to get, stability, polished overall situation, quality, behaviour etc etc etc... Everything and anything will help.

Looking forward to many of your sincere sugestions and big thank yous to all in advance!

Krešo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
I saw that list you've posted but still I hought better to hear from someone who's using PT, version, glitches, bugs... I saw that list but it's been unclear a bit those min.-max. OS capabilities you know. But, thank you really.
a Note: when using a MAC you can Load up Multiple Versions of Pro TOols .. so you can load up the LAtest Version - Per that List .. just need to change the name - i add the entire version number - works great for using what works and teating the next version !! Windows folks cannot do this !!!

as far as Bugs, Glitches and such ... i will say that i skipped over 10.11 (El Crapitan) because there were just too many issues with that OS .. so take that into account when you are asking for Which Version Should I Load UP !!

the latest 18.12.0.307 is the latest MAC version ... and it has been very stable for me here .. on MAcbook PRo and 2012 Macpro ..

cheers john
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
a Note: when using a MAC you can Load up Multiple Versions of Pro TOols .. so you can load up the LAtest Version - Per that List .. just need to change the name - i add the entire version number - works great for using what works and teating the next version !! Windows folks cannot do this !!!

as far as Bugs, Glitches and such ... i will say that i skipped over 10.11 (El Crapitan) because there were just too many issues with that OS .. so take that into account when you are asking for Which Version Should I Load UP !!

the latest 18.12.0.307 is the latest MAC version ... and it has been very stable for me here .. on MAcbook PRo and 2012 Macpro ..

cheers john
Hey John,

I appreciate your Note. Yeah, ain't Mac and it's architecture great?! Add whatever you like, post or pre extension or where ever or whatever! Right on. I work on Mac for a longest time. Badically only and exclusively on Mac. Yeah, that's nice to hear regarding multiple instances of an App with name changed a bit. Oh well, regarding El Capitan - what can I do?! F*** it! I know this machine is so old that belongs in the museum. But, instaed of chunking it because it's phenomenal workhorse I'm going to get me last one before first Black Trashcan. For now. So, El Capitan stays for now. I know that. That's just one of (many and more to come) limitations. But no way I'm going to sell my machine. They don't make those like that anymore.

Thank you for everything so far. You've been most kind and helpful. I learn bit by bit. I tried that Free one I got with my Focusrite but I carried on in Ableton. So, somehow PT stayed behind. And now it's been a while and I've just got to switch (ise as well to be precise) to PT because it's just the way world is! Hehe...

Keep in touch and everyone else is more than welcome to chime in!

Best regards,

Krešo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not much more to offer as far as best version for your particular OS, as I stayed on Yosemite right up until High Sierra came out, and jumped right to that. So no experience with El Cap

You might consider going to the AVID Pro Audio Community and if your serious about PT join that (forum ) and post your questions there

Avid Pro Audio Community - Powered by vBulletin
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not much more to offer as far as best version for your particular OS, as I stayed on Yosemite right up until High Sierra came out, and jumped right to that. So no experience with El Cap

You might consider going to the AVID Pro Audio Community and if your serious about PT join that (forum ) and post your questions there

Avid Pro Audio Community - Powered by vBulletin
Will do that as well!

Seriously, thank you very much for all your effort and what you've told me so far.

Krešo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search