The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2018 iPad Pro 11" with Avid Dock
Old 28th January 2019
Here for the gear

2018 iPad Pro 11" with Avid Dock

Hello!

This is my first time posting so I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I recently handed down my iPad Air 2 to my son and replaced it with a late 2018 iPad Pro 11. Since one of my uses for it is to run Control in the Avid Dock, I thought I'd report back with my findings.

Short answer, IT WORKS!

Here are some details:

1: I've attached a pic of the soft knob alignment with channel mode in Control. Since the 11 has a different physical screen width and resolution, they don't line up as well as before. But it's honestly not enough for me to care. Hasn't bothered me at all during use.

2: In the same pic mentioned above, you may notice that I have a right angle USB-C (USB-A on the other end - into the Dock) connected to the iPad for charging. I consider this is a must. There are several - I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3: In order to keep the charger connected, you'll need to utilize the cradle adaptor that came with the dock. I have no idea what it's called, so I attached a pic - popped it off and held it in my hand to make it obvious. Without this adaptor, the iPad fits but not while plugged into power.

4: You do NOT need the 10.5" iPad adaptor from Avid. I bought it and it's seen in this picture. But it made no discernible difference. I tried both the original and new. They both hold the 11" nice and snug and the height / alignment with soft knobs is the same. For clarity, this is the part I'm saying you don't really need:
Pro Tools | Dock 10.5" iPad Adapter | Audio Accessories | Avid

5: Lastly, the screen on the 11 is outstanding. That's not that big a deal for Control, I realize. But if you use your iPad for lots of other stuff, it's a plus. And stepping up from a much older iPad, the difference in performance, even for just day to day use, is obvious. It's a much better experience.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 iPad Pro 11" with Avid Dock-img_9737.jpg   2018 iPad Pro 11" with Avid Dock-img_9743.jpg  
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear
Another option I chose, was to remove the rubber bottom section of the mount.. allows a better angle for the iPad in my case.

Old 21st February 2019
Here for the gear

When / where did you buy the 10.5 adapter?

I can't get the store page to load. It seems to have been removed from Avid’s website? I’m thinking maybe it’s because the new docks are shipping with basically the same thing (and you saying it made no difference seemed to maybe support this).

Last edited by Maskeeper; 23rd February 2019 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: Clarity, typos
Old 21st February 2019
Here for the gear

I bought it from Avid, probably about six weeks ago. It does appear to have gone missing from their site.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

From the photos I'm guessing the answer is 'no', but to confirm - the 12.9" ipad pro is just plain too big right?

The idea of buying another ipad just for the dock disgusts me.

Edit: ok officially no, i spotted the fine print on the site '* Please note that 12.9-inch iPad Pro models are not currently supported'
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
From the photos I'm guessing the answer is 'no', but to confirm - the 12.9" ipad pro is just plain too big right?

The idea of buying another ipad just for the dock disgusts me.

Edit: ok officially no, i spotted the fine print on the site '* Please note that 12.9-inch iPad Pro models are not currently supported'
You might want to hold out till the end of the week. Apparently you can use the iPad in portrait mode with the new Control app that is being released on Wednesday.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search