The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid protools 2019 .... ? Audio Interfaces
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Clean install on High Sierra, no speedstepping, all the usual stuff. Sigh.
I don’t know this for a fact but I’ve seen it suggested that 2019.5 is optimised for Mojave and runs better on it.
Maybe worth a try on a clean instal spare disk?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
I'm not sure I understand. PT has been capable of using ASIO since PT about 7-8 years ago.

Yes, their ASIO implementation is buggy and problematic, and when I was a PT user I spent more time cursing at it than using it, but if talk to to it nicely, buy it flowers, caress it ever so gently, and tell it over and over how it is the best DAW in the universe, ASIO can be made to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
2019 is running great here on Win10 for me.

If they'd just open up the I/O for non avid hardware, I'd be 100% satisfied for what I'm using protools for.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I don’t know this for a fact but I’ve seen it suggested that 2019.5 is optimised for Mojave and runs better on it.
I wouldn’t believe that.

I’m running it on Sierra and have noticed a big improvement over any 2018 version I was running prior.

The only thing that is worse is the font change on the clips in the timeline. It’s been bolded with a contrast increase. It looks almost blurry. Not great on the eyes.

Oh and the Eucon update didn’t go so well, but if you don’t use a control surface then you’re fine.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I'd love to if it wasn't for my nVIDIA graphics card, no drivers for Mojave still!

Can anyone on here run native instruments plug ins record-enabled at 32 buffer in Pro Tools Native with any interface? Would love to see how it's acting for others.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
I'm not sure I understand. PT has been capable of using ASIO since PT about 7-8 years ago.

Yes, their ASIO implementation is buggy and problematic, and when I was a PT user I spent more time cursing at it than using it, but if talk to to it nicely, buy it flowers, caress it ever so gently, and tell it over and over how it is the best DAW in the universe, ASIO can be made to work.

Sorry. Number of IO. There's an arbitrary limit of 32 IO, and you can't even choose which 32.

I have 4 IO I can't use (AES, SPDIF), and there's no way to even swap them with regular IO in PT.

I want 16 more IO, and even buting ultimate won't allow it.

I should add the RME's drivers have been rock solid in PT for me. At this point I would guess that the majority of the problems that I've had have been how PT used CPU
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have 4 IO I can't use (AES, SPDIF), and there's no way to even swap them with regular IO in PT.

I should add the RME's drivers have been rock solid in PT for me. At this point I would guess that the majority of the problems that I've had have been how PT used CPU
bust open the Totalmix and loopback your AES and SPDIF to a different input. That's what I do. It's not perfect if you need more than 32IO but i have an audient mico over spdif that I use that way.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
bust open the Totalmix and loopback your AES and SPDIF to a different input. That's what I do. It's not perfect if you need more than 32IO but i have an audient mico over spdif that I use that way.

I should have mentioned that. I didn't say it because other folks don't have that luxury, they are just SOL if they have more than 32 IO that don't line up the way they'd like.

I take the output from my console through an A/D then go AES into a loopback and record it. It limits me to 30 outputs, but does work. I did make up a separate snapshot to make it easier to switch, but it's still easy to screw up and leave the outputs open on the console and get feedback if it's loud, or phasing in the mix if it's not.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
other folks don't have that luxury, they are just SOL if they have more than 32 IO that don't line up the way they'd like.
True enough. Used to use a MOTU 2048 set up with three interfaces in an old studio, had no way to use any outboard as it was all patched from input/output 33 onwards! And I'm way too slow to be running one day sessions in Cubase!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Ah yes, the 32 i/o limit. Another arbitrary limit put on the system by Avid, much like tracks AKA "voices". I don't need 32 i/o but it has to be rough for people who do. At least this version is said to be more efficient with multi-core CPU's so that should be a benefit.

As for ASIO, my interface's drivers work perfectly in every other application, including Samplitude, Reaper, Studio One, and various editors. Never a hiccup. Only PT remains problematic. I've tried the native driver as well as ASIO4ALL, which works differently in PT, and eliminates some of the issues while creating others. A simple thing like opening a different project with a different sample rate is still a problem in PT 12.8, my final version. I've moved on, I don't have to fight that battle any more.

Quote:
Sorry. Number of IO. There's an arbitrary limit of 32 IO, and you can't even choose which 32.

I want 16 more IO, and even buting ultimate won't allow it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search