The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avid protools 2019 .... ?
Old 10th May 2019
Dor
Lives for gear

2019.5 is running smoothly on 2018 Mac Mini during my initial tests. Deleting tracks and adding/removing inserts without playback cutouts is definitely a welcome improvement.

D
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Head

Just got done with a 7 hour session with no problems at all(2019.5). It ran like a champ. Stability seems improved. About 500 hours of sessions is the only way to be sure. SO far so good

HD Native (Mojave) 12 core Mac pro Track Can 64GB Ram.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting. I'll take it for a test spin on the MBP in a while!
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

I'm still getting the random 9173 error when CPU is at 10%

No noticeable difference in stability compared to 2018.12
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
I'm still getting the random 9173 error when CPU is at 10%

No noticeable difference in stability compared to 2018.12
Did you uninstall 2018.12 before installing 2019.5?

How about you others reporting stability. Did you uninstall?
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
Did you uninstall 2018.12 before installing 2019.5?

How about you others reporting stability. Did you uninstall?
I didn't uninstall, no reason to on mac os.

Over on the DUC there are many other users who are also reporting the classic 9173 error that is still there even though CPU is not running out of power.

Apart from this error popping up once today it is stable.
But 2018.12 was very stable for me as well (apart from the 9173 error popping up once or twice a day)
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
)
Great, thanks. I’m on Mac. I Plan on installing today.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Installed PT 2019 and Mojave, and now can't open any existing sessions...
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

No uninstall here.
Just spent 8 hours mostly writing @64 samples buffersize, Kontakt, Omnisphere, EZDrummer, no hang, no crash, wasted less time on the usual and unusual Midi Bugs, even slaving Ableton Live via ReWire kind of worked -> knock on wood....

MacBook Pro 15", 2018. 10.14.4 (btw would never buy this POS again, but thats another and long story)
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Over on the DUC there are many other users who are also reporting the classic 9173 error that is still there even though CPU is not running out of power.

But 2018.12 was very stable for me as well (apart from the 9173 error popping up once or twice a day)
I think uninstalling first also trashes prefs. I think especially if there are any issues like you mention trashing prefs should still be the first thing to do. I had issues with some 2018 upgrades and trashed prefs and it fixed them.

I wonder how many people with 9173 problems just need to trash prefs...probably not all, but should be worth a shot.

2019.5 is running nicely here (18c hackintoshes)
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I think uninstalling first also trashes prefs. I think especially if there are any issues like you mention trashing prefs should still be the first thing to do. I had issues with some 2018 upgrades and trashed prefs and it fixed them.

I wonder how many people with 9173 problems just need to trash prefs...probably not all, but should be worth a shot.

2019.5 is running nicely here (18c hackintoshes)
In my case, thrashing prefs is not the answer unfortunately.

It doesn’t bother me that much having the error pop up once or twice a day. But it still remains a known issue that persists in 2019.5
Old 10th May 2019
Dor
Lives for gear

Just discovered that Avid Link replaced Application Manager. Seems to be an improvement.

D
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

I've rarely uninstalled before updating. I do, however, always freshly restart the computer, then trash prefs and workspace/catalog files just before installing. On a Mac w/ Mojave, btw, and it went smoothly this time, too.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Installed PT 2019 and Mojave, and now can't open any existing sessions...
that's odd - did you get that resolved or is it still an issue>?
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMUSIC View Post
that's odd - did you get that resolved or is it still an issue>?
No, couldn't get them to work together at all. I'm reinstalling High Sierra. Never had any problems with that. Hope it's ok with PT 2019!....
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_w View Post
Running smooth here on Mojave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
... noticeably snappier and more responsive. ... So far, so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padje View Post
... 2019.5 is pretty stable in a session... Happy camper here for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMUSIC View Post
Test 2 is still going, 30 min in and no errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
it seems to be running smoothly ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgulian View Post
.. it does seem to be snappier....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post
Used 2019.5 all day...It definitely feels snappier and CPU usage has noticeably improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
2019.5 is running smoothly on 2018 Mac Mini ...Deleting tracks and adding/removing inserts without playback cutouts is definitely a welcome improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericreid View Post
.... It ran like a champ. Stability seems improved.
Yeah but how are the take folders?
Old 10th May 2019
2019.5 is running quite well on my system. I've just tried several of my existing mixes and have not done a lot of editing or any recording yet. It feels quite snappy as well.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Guess it depends on the definition of "many" and "very stable" (to my way of thinking one or two 9371's a day is not stable) But honestly I just spent about an hour perusing the DUC and (unless I missed some particular thread) It actually seems that much like here, the majority are reporting smooth running and did not notice any significant numbers reporting 9173 errors ? There was one thread just started this morning under the 2019 category specifically about 9073 errors but no replies yet will have to see what develops .
I wonder if it is something specific to your system causing the problem ?

Last edited by KevWind; 11th May 2019 at 03:04 PM..
Old 11th May 2019
Motown legend

Specific plug-ins seem to cause it. The CPU core distribution seems much improved so there is more power when I don't use some very high cpu plugs.
Old 11th May 2019
Guys, I still on Mac Sierra and I read that PT 2019.5 works better on Mojave.

which MacOS are you using?

Thanks
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post

Thanks
Where did you read that?

Running fine here on Sierra, but it’s been out in the wild two days sooo...

If you’re on Sierra now, upgrading to 2019.5 will be a lot easier/simpler than installing Mojave. Why not try it first and see how you go?
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Pro Tools Vanilla Mojave i9 MBP somewhat more stable with the update. I'm still getting 9073, but it seems a bit less than with the previous version. In my case, it's usually triggered when I add Newfangle Elevate to the end of my mix bus. That particular plugin is resource heavy. Meters could be at like 50%, but it will still hiccup occasionally.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post

Thanks
I just updated my OS, from High Sierra to to Mojave. The optimization people talk about wasn't there for me on High Sierra, but it is indeed on Mojave. It's feel smoother/snappier and the cpu is better too.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear
PT Ultimate 2019.5 on OS 10.14.4 combo is working flawlessly for me. Excellent update! Performance improvements and stability are key to this update. Continuous playback is also a welcome addition.

Well done Avid!
Old 11th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
PT Ultimate 2019.5 on OS 10.14.4 combo is working flawlessly for me. Excellent update! Performance improvements and stability are key to this update. Continuous playback is also a welcome addition.

Well done Avid!
Just threw a fairly intense mix with almost 70 serious plugins in real time at 5.2019 and it didn't break a sweat- like 49% usage- Late 2012 mac mini

This particular session was crippling Pro Tools before the update.

I did all the things I knew to do to get Pro Tools to pause or crash, and it would not!

In general this version feels snappier and I echo the continuous playback is a welcomed addition.

WELL DONE AVID- I have to say that I am really impressed- I feel like they gave me my computer back
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Are you using virtual instruments?

Or just audio and audio plug ins?
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Are you using virtual instruments?

Or just audio and audio plug ins?
No VI.
A film mix session. About 150 tracks, with the usual suspects of plugins: fab filter, dmg audio, cedar dns and stock avid plugins.

Over the course of 9 hours of having that session open it happened once, after about 3 hours.

I was writing volume automation. Nothing fancy
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Maniac

After advice from Avid support, I am now running 2019.5 perfectly on High Sierra. Not a glitch. Mojave - forget it. Crashes PT every time. It can wait, why do I need it?!
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

still cant use AAX instruments at anything below 128 buffer on my RME RayDAT. It's been like this FOREVER now. Any other DAW, any standalone software works without a hitch at 32 samples. I mean the RME is so good that 128 buffer's latency is still imperceivable to me, but it's depressing to have to still deal with it. Or if i've been tracking audio only at 32, and then select an instrument, Pro Tools locks up for a minute while it loads the AAX instrument, reminding me to put the buffer to 128. Anything below 128 is still giving me CPU errors from spiking. Clean install on High Sierra, no speedstepping, all the usual stuff. Sigh.
Old 19th May 2019
2019 is running great here on Win10 for me.

If they'd just open up the I/O for non avid hardware, I'd be 100% satisfied for what I'm using protools for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search