Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
There was:
18.7, 18.10
and

18.12 was the last one.

Yup just checked and im on 2018.4.0, was the most stable for me so I stayed there.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Well their earnings report went well. Stock is up about 10% since... highest since 2015. So investors are happy... Avid is happy... time to make their customers happy.

This is interesting from their release...

"We are focused on delivering meaningful product innovations to the market, including several new products in Q2, that we expect will support our growth in the second half of 2019 and beyond."

Will be interesting to see if any of those new products are Pro Tools related.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

A few people (myself included) responded to Jeff Rosica on Twitter and got this response:

Old 8th May 2019
Glad to hear that it should be out by the end of the week.

I wonder what the new products might be, considering that they have stated HDX and such are on 10 year cycles. That means probably no new interface, control surface, preamps etc since we have the HDX boxes, artist mix, Eleven, and others that are still within the 10 year mark
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Avid has stated 10 year support. That does not mean the same thing as 10 year cycle. One of the categories you mentioned (and discarded) I know has items coming. [don’t ask because I can’t tell]
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vutall View Post
Glad to hear that it should be out by the end of the week.

I wonder what the new products might be, considering that they have stated HDX and such are on 10 year cycles. That means probably no new interface, control surface, preamps etc since we have the HDX boxes, artist mix, Eleven, and others that are still within the 10 year mark
Don't forget, to a corporation things like "subscriptions" are considered "products". In fact a lot of intangible things can be considered "products" if the company sells them, including cloud space.
Old 8th May 2019
7+1
Lives for gear

Im gonna come on here and just say it. How in 2019 is there no Tuning options like DP had in what 2004? Where it was right over the track. I still cant understand this..
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
Im gonna come on here and just say it. How in 2019 is there no Tuning options like DP had in what 2004? Where it was right over the track. I still cant understand this..
Elastic Audio has a pitch option. It's clunky, and not particularly user-friendly, but in fairness it HAS been a part of PT for about a decade.
Old 9th May 2019
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Elastic Audio has a pitch option. It's clunky, and not particularly user-friendly, but in fairness it HAS been a part of PT for about a decade.
Fully aware of the "clunkiness" that is elastic audio. I am referring to plain old pitch correction.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

When you look at what elastic time does, I couldn’t believe how clunky the pitch part of it is. I still can’t believe it.
It’s like they finished the time part and then called it quits and left the pitch part in stage 1 of development.
I must be missing something.
Only a text box in a window? What’s elastic about that?
Get outta here
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
Fully aware of the "clunkiness" that is elastic audio. I am referring to plain old pitch correction.
Yeah, pitch correction would be nice. Or better yet, AMA for use with Melodyne.

My point was just there actually *is* a tuning option. It's terrible, and despite spending all day every day in front of a PT rig, I don't think I've used it more than 2-3 times in the past ten or however many years since its introduction, but, it exists. :shrugs:
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

There was a decade in my life where knowing Beat Detective and Vocalign inside out, took me ALL over the world. I got to meet some of my heroes along the way, and occasionally had to say... no you are... no YOU are... no... ... ...

I miss those days. Avid doesn't give a $HIT! Digidesign had cool control surfaces. Now its bought and swallowed Euphonix/Con. Used to have cool (if boring) interfaces... now its DAD... and costs more than yours, or mine, ever made.

Pitch correction is the last of my concerns... SO easy to resolve in other methods...

Which brings me back... Avid doesnt give a $HiTE about pitch correction. Really? 2019.5... and that's what we're waiting for?

Vocalign... should'a started there. Or Melodyne... ... ...
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
There was a decade in my life where knowing Beat Detective and Vocalign inside out, took me ALL over the world. I got to meet some of my heroes along the way, and occasionally had to say... no you are... no YOU are... no... ... ...

I miss those days. Avid doesn't give a $HIT! Digidesign had cool control surfaces. Now its bought and swallowed Euphonix/Con. Used to have cool (if boring) interfaces... now its DAD... and costs more than yours, or mine, ever made.

Pitch correction is the last of my concerns... SO easy to resolve in other methods...

Which brings me back... Avid doesnt give a $HiTE about pitch correction. Really? 2019.5... and that's what we're waiting for?

Vocalign... should'a started there. Or Melodyne... ... ...
Very well said!
Even if Avid adds proper pitch correction in PT, I am so used to Melodyne over the years, that would be redundant for me. On the other hand though, they should add ARA support ASAP, that will integrate Melodyne pitch correction workflow into PT, for much less effort, than introducing their own integrated pitch correction thing.... along with the new bugs, etc..
We know the drill by now.

Cheers!
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Maniac

2019.5 in my account.

Downloading for testing on macbook pro 2018 with Mojave installed.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padje View Post
2019.5 in my account.

Woah. Not here yet, but great news!
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padje View Post
2019.5 in my account.

Mine too. Gonna try it out today.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

It's out, whiners! Running smooth here on Mojave.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post

I miss those days. Avid doesn't give a $HIT!
Beat Detective came out in 2001. Avid has owned Digidesign since 1995.
So...

Old 9th May 2019
It actually got released?!?
Can’t wait to put it through its paces
Old 9th May 2019
Fired it up just now. It's noticeably snappier and more responsive. Even where the playback is still interrupted by other tasks (eg - import session data) the interruptions are shorter and playback resumes more quickly. So far, so good.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Installed PT 2019 HD running native with UA Apollo X16 system on a 2018 MacBook Pro i9 32 gig ram and latest Mojave . Having major problems with VI's, mainly just Arturia version 6 right now, horrible at low buffer settings while recording and record enabled, 256 is the minimum it kind of works at, super disappointed.... Also not great with superior drummer when recording using a keyboard. It does work much better with Avid Mini Grand, but still spikes occasionally at low 128 buffer, fine at 256. Also tested some Native Instruments which works a lot better but only at 256 buffer at the least. Anybody have any suggestions to make this work better????

Last edited by bforest4; 10th May 2019 at 07:08 AM..
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fired it up just now. It's noticeably snappier and more responsive. Even where the playback is still interrupted by other tasks (eg - import session data) the interruptions are shorter and playback resumes more quickly. So far, so good.

Are you on High Sierra?
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Are you on High Sierra?
mojave. 14.3
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Maniac

High Sierra on Cheesecrater.

2019.5 is pretty stable in a session with audio only (mixed dps and native plugins)

Happy camper here for now.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Just upgarded to 2019.5 on a mojave macbook pro 6 core i7/32gb ram and got a CPU overload buffer error on my first recording after 17 min of recording 5 tracks. will continue to test..
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Test 2 is still going, 30 min in and no errors
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

FYI I was running 2018.12 flawlessly on Mohave with I9 mbp and having a lot of initial problems with 2019.5. In particular a routine playback error that freezes everything until I force quit. Not sure if it’s because there are remnants of 2018.12 not playing nice, but reinstall of 2018.12 works flawlessly again so I’ll have to play some more to figure out what the deal is.

***update*** delete old version of pro tools before installing new and this issue goes away.

Last edited by DrewbixMusic; 10th May 2019 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: ***update*** - Delete old pro tools app before installing new version if you’d already installed earlier version on Mohave
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
mojave. 14.3
Cool thanks.

I installed it and it seems to be running smoothly with 10.13.6 on my MBP. I may upgrade to Mojave soon.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Head
Installed tonight because I'm an idiot. Luckily it does seem to be snappier. I crashed once editing playlists.but ran fine besides that. Nice being able to switch and move inserts during playback.

I'm on a MBP 2016, running High Sierra. I too, am now thinking about upgrading to Mojave now that I read some of these other comments.
Old 10th May 2019
Used 2019.5 all day on a Mac Pro 5,1 with PTHD Native, it ran flawlessly. It definitely feels snappier and CPU usage has noticeably improved.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search