The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PLEASE HELP!!! MTRX or What else????
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

PLEASE HELP!!! MTRX or What else????

I'm about to be getting an Avid MTRX and I was able to get the invoice created when it was on sale so I'll be saving probably thousands (i mean a couple). And I use an HDX card on a Sonnet Chassis > Thunderbolt 3 > iMac Pro > Pro Tools Ultimate. I don't do post-production or any major sort of operations.

Question - should get or do I need the MTRX? I still need something with a mini-digilink port. I am selling my apogee symphony i/o mkII. What should I go to? If I went with something considerably cheaper, then I'd be able to get more mic's, outboard gear, etc. If I stayed with the MTRX well, i don't know it seems a little overkill. I'm sure digital denmark converters are the best on the market but would my ears be able to tell the difference between that an a good ole fashioned Avid 16 analog I/O? As far as how many analog channels I need, just eight really. I eventually could get a dante card > tascam converter > 32 analog i/o) What should I do? What are my options (thats more rhetorical)? I'll be able to pay for the MTRX literally like tomorrow Saturday though i don't think they're coming in till Monday meaning I wouldn't have it till next week) and the price for 16 analog i/o (no dante card, no other cards) is 7500 or actually about $6900 and change. I use an S3, pt dock, you know i'm married to avid for better or worse.
Old 15th December 2018
GSF
Gear Addict
I think it's overkill for what you are looking for. I would go for a Hapi with the 8 i/o card and PT64 digilink port, that would leave you with $ for other things.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesound View Post
[. . .] Question - should get or do I need the MTRX? [. . .]
Hi lonesound -

I am not at all qualified to answer your primary questions. However, I can tell you - as a musician who invested in the MTRX with 8 line/mic AD, Dante card, Pro-Tools Ultimate and HD Native a few months back - that I couldn't be more pleased with any other solution on the market today.

I had a bad experience with Avid [Pro Tools instability] some years ago and was a bit concerned; but this system, along with a MacBook Pro, has been fantastic for me. Note that I'm generally one to prefer Windows over Mac; but haven't tried that route in this go.

The MTRX lacks the consumer polish, UI and UX one might expect or hope for; however, the functional results are nothing less than awesome. I would like to see the company address this 'industrial clunkiness'. A mobile-friendly [as contrasted with the existing rack-mount] configuration would also be appreciated. . .at least by me.

Bottom Line: If I had it to do over again; I would go with MTRX without reservation or hesitation any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hope this helps,

Ray H.
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

thanks for responding

the question is outboard gear/microphones, (primarily tube and ribbons) or MTRX? i suppose i ranted a little too much. i've looked at virtually every pt hdx compatible i/o and i really don't care for any of them. rednet = na...avid's i/o's = they're really pretty old, lynx = would be stupid after selling symphony, lavry, prism = too expensive. again i can score the mtrx for MUCH cheaper about 1500 -2000 dollars. The first post - that i/o doesn't have mini-digilink ports so i'd have to get a avid madi i/o and therefore = just as much as a freaking mtrx. second post = i like "conformation bias" its a term that makes us say "see yeah this is the way to go or yeah i believe that" just because of a snippet of "data" that suggests that going the current route would be best. i want to want the mtrx and since there isn't anything else that i really like, again 1) need mini digilink ports 2) really love using Dsub analog i/o ports, 3) expansion capabilities. but man i need two 1176LN's, or an API 2500, an ams neve 8803, an aurora audio eq dual channel 4 band nevish really cool brand. more great microphones. i suppose in the end, its in the eye of the beholder. i'm not sure. you know for an apollo interface or a focusrite (their "new" and "improved" hopefully) stuff - heck my MTRX base unit is only 3500 bucks or so. you add tax, and an AD card, and a DA card (each about 1700) its around 7500. I mean maybe in 7 years we'll see the ole trickle down effect and they'll be much less expensive but this is the best avid has to offer, i am unhappy with all other interfaces, mtrx would work and play well with HDX/PT Ultimate as opposed to a third party interface/converter.

But its down to either outboard gear, or MTRX.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
[. . .] but man i need two 1176LN's, or an API 2500, an ams neve 8803, an aurora audio eq dual channel 4 band nevish really cool brand. more great microphones [. . .] i am unhappy with all other interfaces [. . .]

But its down to either outboard gear, or MTRX.
Hi lonesound -

In considering my comments, consider also that outboard gear was eschewed from the start. Outboard gear isn't even appealing to me nowadays. I wanted less - not more. Pro Tools Ultimate, HD Native, the MTRX, and a few high-end mics have mostly taken me there. Of course, I can relate to wanting 'more great microphones'. Over time they will get collected.

As mobility and compactness are primary drivers for me, I may modify or replace the MTRX's rack-mount case to improve those aspects. For my purposes it could be half the size it is now and weigh two thirds less. But I am very happy with its electronics and functionality, and have zero regrets with that purchase.

Wishing you the best,

Ray H.
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

Ray thank you very much. You mentioned high end mic's - incidentally I just bought a Chandler REDD mic. As well as other pretty high end mostly tube or ribbon microphones. I told myself or rather had an realization, and correct me folks if this is wrong but, your converters, your mic's, your miking techniques, your preamps are going to serve as a template for really advancing things.

I talked to an owner of a very high end famous audio gear (mainly microphones) company, and he told me i just needed one good dual channel EQ, a good stereo compressor. Really the rest is just ???? Not sure.But yeah I have a PT Ultimate License, S3, PT HD Dock (with my iPad Air2), HDX card, and the MTRX seems like the primary way to really get things off the ground better.

About outboard gear. Ray, I think you have a point. My brother-in-law, who knows nothing about this stuff, said "you'd be much more creative and your music would be better if you only had just a small select few processors." So meaning that with less to work with, that will require you to actually BE more CREATIVE.Yeah. hypothetically speaking, if you had i suppose 5-6 good mid to high end stereo eq's, and 8 compressors.....wouldn't things get hairy after a while? What comp to use on this? What .....to use on that? Yeah. Its still conformation bias. But Ray I really appreciate your comments. Besides, there aren't ANY converter/interfaces with mini-digilink connectivity out there that satisfy my sort of standards. Except MTRX. And reiterate and belabor the point again, I'd be able to save around 2 grand since I literally found that for about 1.5 - 2 days (36 - 48 hours) some vendors started having sales, then others, i chose my vendor got the invoice; so i'm good. And of course, yeah its still sort of bugging me whether I should spend that much just because I couldn't buy much for a while. (I do have four LP black beauties. I think i could sell at least one of them).
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The first post - that i/o doesn't have mini-digilink ports so i'd have to get a avid madi i/o and therefore = just as much as a freaking mtrx.
Wrong.
Quote:
I would go for a Hapi with the 8 i/o card and PT64 digilink port
That's the port. It slots in one option card space.

The MTRX is a third-party interface with Avid's name put on the front. You have to be comfortable using DAD's software because nothing is actually managed like an Avid Pro Tools interface with it (or from within Pro Tools.)
Old 17th December 2018
Discounting the HDio because it's "pretty old" is a bit odd. They're solid converters, sound great, form a supported system with HD in a way that 3rd party ones do not, and perform as well as anything - and on the 2nd hand market in particular are very good value for money.

I'm not saying you can't get better by spending more, and I have no real knowledge of the MTRX - not particularly common in music setups I've seen. Just saying don't discount the thing that's been proved to work well!
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm about to be getting an Avid MTRX and I was able to get the invoice created when it was on sale so I'll be saving probably thousands (i mean a couple). And I use an HDX card on a Sonnet Chassis > Thunderbolt 3 > iMac Pro > Pro Tools Ultimate. I don't do post-production or any major sort of operations.

Question - should get or do I need the MTRX? I still need something with a mini-digilink port. I am selling my apogee symphony i/o mkII. What should I go to? If I went with something considerably cheaper, then I'd be able to get more mic's, outboard gear, etc. If I stayed with the MTRX well, i don't know it seems a little overkill. I'm sure digital denmark converters are the best on the market but would my ears be able to tell the difference between that an a good ole fashioned Avid 16 analog I/O? As far as how many analog channels I need, just eight really. I eventually could get a dante card > tascam converter > 32 analog i/o) What should I do? What are my options (thats more rhetorical)? I'll be able to pay for the MTRX literally like tomorrow Saturday though i don't think they're coming in till Monday meaning I wouldn't have it till next week) and the price for 16 analog i/o (no dante card, no other cards) is 7500 or actually about $6900 and change. I use an S3, pt dock, you know i'm married to avid for better or worse.

I say go for it...

I've used many converters over the years (Apogee, Avid HD IO, Focusrite Rednet, Aurora and UAD) and I definitely prefer the DAD/MTX.

I expected top notch mastering grade conversion from Digital Denmark, which I got, but what surprises me was the quality of their mic pre. I own API, Daking and Millenia and barely use them anymore since acquiring the DAD/MTX.

It's not that expensive considering what you get, in my case, 16 great line/mic pre inputs, 8 outputs for surround, Dante (my studio is all Dante), DigiLink for my PT HD, Madi, AES, Monitor control for the S6.

All that in 2 rack space (replacing my previous 24 rack with mic pre, Avid HD IO, Xmon, etc...)
Old 7th January 2019
GCL
Lives for gear

Why did you sell the Symphony MkII? I just bought an MTRX, getting it later this week.
Old 27th June 2019
Here for the gear

It's interesting hearing these reviews. I purchases a Mtrx (2 actually) and I'm currently just running one with 2 pre cards and a third A/D card (no pre). I been pretty disappointed with the results. I currently have a Dangerous AD+, mtrx, burl mothership, and Antelope Goliath HD, and I was essentially convinced the mtrx was the best thing on the market (was also considering a Horus) and went for it as I transitioned to an HDX system.

I did a blind shootout with a friend I trust and he finds the mtrx low end very tubby and soft. Now the Burl low end is a bit smeared and weak so neither seem to sound very good. Also we have both found the hi hats in OH mic sounds pretty harsh (could be poor mic choice).

This was done with some Hairball Lolas. I did a more recent test with the built in pres and liked it less. I find the overall backdrop to be much darker and the sound to be more balanced (although the slightest bit forward sounding) from the Dangerous AD+, but it's probably my favorite.

I previously compared Burl and Antelope (but not a true test) and preferred the Antelope, but there are definitely things I like about the Burl also. I want to like the Mtrx because I invested a LOT in it and made an entire studio layout plan around it (digital and analog routing, and computer) and I feel really let down. I'm wondering if something is wrong with my system. The mtrx maybe seems to extend a tiny bit lower than the other converters.

Between any of the converters mentioned, they all sound drastically different like someone EQ'd them all significantly differently. And I first shot out burl vs. apollo x16 vs. dangerous vs. goliath HD and the Apollo was by far the flattest, dullest, and harshest sounding, with the others all sounding pretty good. I had the Goliath HD first and wish I'd stuck with it at this point.

I'm next going to figure out the best way to compare the D/A between Goliath HD, Burl, and Mtrx, because if the Mtrx has as good or (hopefully) the best D/A, I can keep a single mtrx as a D/A and routing box with 6 output cards and hdx and essentially use any A/D converters that can get in via madi or aes. I want to hear the Prism ADA8XR 16ch A/D > AES.

I'm really super surprised as I've read tons of ONLY glowing reviews for the Mtrx and am truly pretty disappointed thus far.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrashanti View Post
[. . .] pretty disappointed with the results. [. . .]

I did a blind shootout with a friend I trust and he finds the mtrx low end very tubby and soft. [. .] the hi hats in OH mic sounds pretty harsh (could be poor mic choice).

This was done with some Hairball Lolas. I did a more recent test with the built in pres and liked it less. [. . .]

[. . .] I want to like the Mtrx because I invested a LOT in it and made an entire studio layout plan around it (digital and analog routing, and computer) and I feel really let down. I'm wondering if something is wrong with my system. [. . .]

Between any of the converters mentioned, they all sound drastically different like someone EQ'd them all significantly differently. [. . .]

I'm really super surprised as I've read tons of ONLY glowing reviews for the Mtrx and am truly pretty disappointed thus far.
Hi ezrashanti -

With respect to your comments; most of them I would tend to associate with your [and your friend's] preferences for attributes in ingest chains [e.g. preamp coloration, etc.]. This may not reflect reality, but is [admittedly] the starting point of my interpretation of your thoughts. . .which leads to other conclusions, such as: I doubt there is anything wrong with your system. . .you just, perhaps, don't like it yet. Maybe it will grow on you. Maybe not.

For reference, I'm not focused on using preamps/converters to extend the palette of colors in my tool chain - so other users can better respond to those thoughts.

I'm mostly using various Schoeps CCMs [occasionally a MiniCMIT], an AEA A440, and a couple AKG C 414 XL II microphones directly into the MTRX mic-preamps. If I need wireless [fairly often], I'm feeding the mics into Audio Limited A10s first - which do their own A\D & D\A conversion.

Either way, I am thrilled with the results. . .provided I've got the mics in the right place for what I want to capture. And there is never an instance where I've thought the MTRX was sounding 'tubby' or 'soft'. . .or left an impression that it imbued the signal with some weird frequency response curve [EQ].

Thanks for your post and thoughts. . .and wishing you all success,

Ray H.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I got a MTRX and I really like the sound of the converters. Being able to drive my 7.1 ATC room direct from the DA into the amps with the dadman software is great. The clarity is phenomenal and the low end is clean.
It sounds way better than my lynx converters. It is certainly not tubby nor soft.
Having one box that connects both of my protools systems with Dante and great converters with the eq card and the software just made my life a whole lot easier. Also you can upmix 5.1 to 7.1 easily and use bass management. I can’t fault this box
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I agree with this. The functionality is excellent and everything about the converters besides the low end seems good. I'm still struggling with sub bass, but I'm going try to record some very punchy fast drums today and see if it's possible, even with EQ would be fine. If not, I will start looking elsewhere.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why not see if you can rent a horus unit? I have a BLA modded HD I/O and stil prefer the HAPI converters over it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I demoed a Hapi and shot it out against 5 other converters and it was my favorite, along with Dangerous AD+, but I need to sell stuff to fund it if I'm going to go that direction. It woulds also limit me to 40 outputs as I'd need to sacrifice a slot for a PT card, and I'd have to get another Madi card which is quite expensive. But I may go that direction sooner than later.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

How much I/O do you need?
Old 27 minutes ago
Here for the gear

In an ideal case I'd need 64 D/A and 32 A/D. 2 Mtrx units will handle this. One Horus without a Mtrx would provide 32in 40out (with digilink card). Another option would be to have a few different A/D converters and keep one mtrx with 6 output cards as the digilink hub, and send other units (like horus, hapi, or others) into it via Madi.

The Dadman software is VERY flexible and it does provide the most options for expansion (I suppose Horus is similar), and you can get up to 3 Madi I/O without getting the card expansion version, which is outrageously expensive. I'm working on testing the D/A of the Mtrx further to see if perhaps that is great and a different A/D would be the ticket.

I think a HAPI would probably make me happier in the end, even with 40 outputs max, but I'm not giving up on the Mtrx yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search