The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools Ultimate - Lynx Aurora (n) LT-TB vs LT-HD Digital Converters
Old 16th September 2018
Here for the gear

Pro Tools Ultimate - Lynx Aurora (n) LT-TB vs LT-HD

I have Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.7 and the Lynx Aurora (n) 16 analog i/o with LM-DIG -> 32 i/o total.

I use the Aurora with the thunderbolt LT-HD card and lynx core audio driver.

I have a quite dated Macbook pro (late 2013, 16GB ram, 2,6GHz i7). I plan to upgrade in late 2019 to a new Macbook pro.

So far everything works as expected. In recording mode with a low buffer size of 64kb my Macbook can't really much i/o, VSTi, etc.

I have a Pro Tool HD native thunderbolt core at home which I'm contemplating to sell.

But I could use it with the Lynx and a LT-HD card. The LT-HD can be found used for about 150€ (I have the digilink cables at home). I have a degilink license.

Would there by any advantage in using the LT-HD card over the LT-TB in terms of overall performance (maybe less CPU usage), latency etc.?

Pro Tools HD native mode (Avid TB core, 3rd party Lynx Aurora (n) LT-HD) vs Core Audio mode (LT-TB)

Pro
- Automatic PT latency compensation for hardware inserts
- 64 i/o instead of 32 i/o with Pro Tools Ultimate

Con
- Avid core audio driver has some issues
- Lynx mixer (almost zero latency monitoring) works only with LT-TB

Anything else to think of? I'm especially interested in latency and CPU usage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search