The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
buying Used Avid stuff
Old 1st September 2018
Here for the gear

buying Used Avid stuff

hi all.

I have always mixed ITB but im planning to upgrade to hybrid mixing, and I want to start using AVID products and build a pro tools HD rig.. I never used AVID stuff just universal audio apollo twin, i don't know much about what else is needed apart from buying the hardware, the account registration, licenses, ilok, digilink license, ownership transfer etc..

I saw AVID HD IO 16x16 analog is new at USD4,5k in Sweetwater, but in ebay I find them used much cheaper for like 2k.. used native hd cards for 500dollars.. control surface also.. everything used much cheaper than New. But im afraid of having problems if I buy them used, in UAD or Arturia for example, if you sell a device you have to transfer the ownership, if you don't, the person who buys it from you won't be able to use it, unless the company makes some arrangement if you send them the serial number and a picture or a proof of purchase and they might transfer the ownership to you.. but its not easy and direct way.. im afraid if I buy something used from Avid might happend the same.,.

My questions are:
1) If the Avid hardware has a previous owner, so the stuff is used and he registered all etc.. If I buy used, will I have problems with that registration or licenses? Is there any problem i could have like he would have to make some kind of ownership transfer for me to be able to use it? What if he don't want to transfer the ownership to me after I purchase? Or its just a plug and play thing and doesn't matter if it had a previous owner if I have a Pro tools license of my own I just connect it and it works without registering it? I have same doubts with hd native thunderbolt card, hex cards, and control surfaces..

2) I see in 2012 the products look like the same as now 2018 in external appearance and model name, did they changed anything from 2012 to now or are the same and the used ones from 2012 are the the same as the new ones? if I buy one used from 2012 it would have the same components as if I buy it new?

3) If I buy all used, will I need anything else than HD io 16x16, hd native thunderbolt card, and pt hd license? will I need to register those or ask the seller to tranfer the ownership digilink license etc?

I appreciate if someone can help me because I'm a little lost and its a lot of money
Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018
Here for the gear

I can't answer on all parts but when buying a HD system used make sure you're buying the license for pro tools HD aswell. They're not sold separately from the hw [not true anymore]so you'll be stuck with just the 16x16 if you don't get it. That's one reason why many of the prices are a lot lower and it's sometimes hard to notice if the software license is included.

License transfering will cost with avid iirc and yes there are some steps to be taken to transfer the license. Don't know how much and sellers deal with that in their own ways. If you want to avoid paying that you can try and buy a full account but that can be a hassle. Ask the seller if the transfer fees are included in the price and ask avid how much they amount to.

Hopefully this helps at all.
Old 3rd September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnmaker View Post
I can't answer on all parts but when buying a HD system used make sure you're buying the license for pro tools HD aswell. They're not sold separately from the hw so you'll be stuck with just the 16x16 if you don't get it. That's one reason why many of the prices are a lot lower and it's sometimes hard to notice if the software license is included.

License transfering will cost with avid iirc and yes there are some steps to be taken to transfer the license. Don't know how much and sellers deal with that in their own ways. If you want to avoid paying that you can try and buy a full account but that can be a hassle. Ask the seller if the transfer fees are included in the price and ask avid how much they amount to.

Hopefully this helps at all.
thanks, if i buy a new one, you think i can purchase the License after?
Old 3rd September 2018
Here for the gear

Scratch that. It seems Avid has changed their sales strategy since the new Pro Tools Ultimate. You can now get it in a subscription and buy it directly without the HW.

Pro Tools | Ultimate Subscriptions and Upgrades - Music Software | Avid
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Was in the same boat a while ago. I decided to purchase PT HD back then new from a place no one here likes, never had a problem with it. After having HD I wanted to grab a HDX card so i went thru ebay and got one and asked the seller the same thing. Got the package loaded it up and no problem either. FF to the HD I/O and it was plug and play as well. So if anything buy the software new and build from there used. Best advice I can give.
Old 7th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Was in the same boat a while ago. I decided to purchase PT HD back then new from a place no one here likes, never had a problem with it. After having HD I wanted to grab a HDX card so i went thru ebay and got one and asked the seller the same thing. Got the package loaded it up and no problem either. FF to the HD I/O and it was plug and play as well. So if anything buy the software new and build from there used. Best advice I can give.

thanks mate! i Think im gonna do that, buy used HW and new pt ultimate account.

you saved my day
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduy View Post
thanks mate! i Think im gonna do that, buy used HW and new pt ultimate account.

you saved my day
Glad to help.
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnmaker View Post
Scratch that. It seems Avid has changed their sales strategy since the new Pro Tools Ultimate. You can now get it in a subscription and buy it directly without the HW.

Pro Tools | Ultimate Subscriptions and Upgrades - Music Software | Avid
OMG I was LOOKING for this link. Too bad I’m locked in for Protools vanilla for a year.
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hi guys ,

I'm new here to gearslutz but have been in recording on an amateur level a few years and thus been a regular observer of all things gearslutz here .

HDX card issue.
Up till now .I've gone thru all posts here and others online and also contacted avid approved repair / dealer but so far with no resolvement.
Heres my problem,
I recently pick up a 2nd hand avid hdx card from a third party on a buy as is ...im on protools 10hd
Both Mac and Pc sees the card but as an unknown multimedia controller , when opening digitest again the card unknown is listed ...
Looking at the 'reset firmware' on avid knowledge base page it says that the card should display 1 x solid green led on face of card and 1 x flashing green led underside , the card I have has 2 x solid green leds on ... what does this signify does any one know? ... or has anyone had this situation before? , the card is in very good condition and everything looks normal ...quiet fan etc ..
Just thought I'd put this out there, before I pack this item off to avid approved dealer for repair who have told me could cost a minimum of 400.00 stg ..

I'd be grateful for any advice ..
Cheers .
Dec.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsquietloud View Post
Hi guys ,

I'm new here to gearslutz but have been in recording on an amateur level a few years and thus been a regular observer of all things gearslutz here .

HDX card issue.
Up till now .I've gone thru all posts here and others online and also contacted avid approved repair / dealer but so far with no resolvement.
Heres my problem,
I recently pick up a 2nd hand avid hdx card from a third party on a buy as is ...im on protools 10hd
Both Mac and Pc sees the card but as an unknown multimedia controller , when opening digitest again the card unknown is listed ...
Looking at the 'reset firmware' on avid knowledge base page it says that the card should display 1 x solid green led on face of card and 1 x flashing green led underside , the card I have has 2 x solid green leds on ... what does this signify does any one know? ... or has anyone had this situation before? , the card is in very good condition and everything looks normal ...quiet fan etc ..
Just thought I'd put this out there, before I pack this item off to avid approved dealer for repair who have told me could cost a minimum of 400.00 stg ..

Cheers .
Dec.
Ask on avid forum
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsquietloud View Post
Hi guys ,

HDX card issue.
Heres my problem,

Cheers .
Dec.
Did you install the HDX driver? It will stay unknown until that is installed.
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Did you install the HDX driver? It will stay unknown until that is installed.

Hi guys, Thanks for you're replies,
yes, i have the relevent HD drivers installed.
I have also emailed Lee Engineering who is a licensed avid repair outlet for advice.
there are 2 solid green leds lit beside each other on the top side of card, so far from what ive read there should only be one. possibly this 2nd led indicates a problem with the card.
ive also reset the firmware in accordance to avid guidelines.
still nothing.
Digitest dosen't see the card (unknown)

hopefully i will get the problem sorted soon . i hope its something minor

thanks a mil guys for chiming in.

Best.
dec.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search