The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So you don't want to pay for a Pro Tools upgrade... 500 Series Preamps
Old 29th June 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
So you don't want to pay for a Pro Tools upgrade...

OK so my old 2012 MBP just died - I need to replace it a new MBP is not going to work on El Capitan!! I need to get Pro tools 12.5.2 to work on High Sierra!!
I don't want to pay for a Re-instatment Plan either!
It will not install!!
Here is way to fix that!!!
Old 30th June 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Word of warning: Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave (especially) use METAL as their API GUI engine to draw graphics (Mojave uses METAL2.) 2018.1 was the first Pro Tools to switch over to METAL. So when running 12.5 on these later operating systems, when you have graphics issues and increased CPU load, know that this is the reason; the program is running without full graphics support. Scrolling and faders/meters and shading (especially in layered editing), etc, demand a lot of GUI usage.

Good luck.
Old 1st July 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Works perfect here on my Mojave beta machine zero issues so far
Old 27th July 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Word of warning: Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave (especially) use METAL as their API GUI engine to draw graphics (Mojave uses METAL2.) 2018.1 was the first Pro Tools to switch over to METAL. So when running 12.5 on these later operating systems, when you have graphics issues and increased CPU load, know that this is the reason; the program is running without full graphics support. Scrolling and faders/meters and shading (especially in layered editing), etc, demand a lot of GUI usage.

Good luck.
Mojave is the only OSX that requires Metal. Sierra and High Sierra work perfectly fine with older video cards.
Old 27th July 2018
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
KV626's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Mojave is the only OSX that requires Metal. Sierra and High Sierra work perfectly fine with older video cards.
Maybe PT 2018 uses Metal for specific tasks but minimum system requirements are 10.11.6, which means PT doesn't *require* Metal at all. Besides, on my mid-2012 cMP, 2018.x is very smooth. I will soon get a Metal-compatible GPU, I'm curious if there will be any graphic performance boost.

...As for Mojave and cMP, we have to be careful because for now there are only 2 cards approved by Apple and compatible with Mojave - although they don't have boot screens, which is rather ironic!! I hope they're going to make more cards compatible for the official release otherwise it's pretty sad.
Old 27th July 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Maybe PT 2018 uses Metal for specific tasks but minimum system requirements are 10.11.6, which means PT doesn't *require* Metal at all. Besides, on my mid-2012 cMP, 2018.x is very smooth. I will soon get a Metal-compatible GPU, I'm curious if there will be any graphic performance boost.

...As for Mojave and cMP, we have to be careful because for now there are only 2 cards approved by Apple and compatible with Mojave - although they don't have boot screens, which is rather ironic!! I hope they're going to make more cards compatible for the official release otherwise it's pretty sad.
Would you mind telling us what those two cards are? I know OWC has a card for the cheesegrater that supports metal (Sapphire HD7950) Sapphire 100352MAC HD 7950 Mac Edition Graphics... at MacSales.com
Old 27th July 2018
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
KV626's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Would you mind telling us what those two cards are? I know OWC has a card for the cheesegrater that supports metal (Sapphire HD7950) Sapphire 100352MAC HD 7950 Mac Edition Graphics... at MacSales.com
7950 is not one of them unfortunately.

Officially the 2010 and 2012 cMP require one of the following cards to run Mojave:
- MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560
- Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580


I've seen several reports stating that the 7950 (and 7970) are not recognized by Mojave. For now at least. Hopefully this will change come the official release!
Old 28th March 2019
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Word of warning: Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave (especially) use METAL as their API GUI engine to draw graphics (Mojave uses METAL2.) 2018.1 was the first Pro Tools to switch over to METAL. So when running 12.5 on these later operating systems, when you have graphics issues and increased CPU load, know that this is the reason; the program is running without full graphics support. Scrolling and faders/meters and shading (especially in layered editing), etc, demand a lot of GUI usage.

Good luck.
If I could get your opinion on getting a XFX RX 580.
I'm on a 2012 12core|2.44ghz|Westmere|Sierra 10.12.6|running Protools 2018.12 Ultimate


I'm also using dual 2K monitors, would upgrading to a RX 580 8GB GPU help or improve performance on Large 5.1 mixes on PT HDN on a Mac 5,1 12c 2.4gh compared to the stock 5770? I am running dual 2K monitors and PT video out of a black magic Intensity Pro via HDMI. And if it would help, what would one expect?
Old 28th March 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 
marsian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
7950 is not one of them unfortunately.

Officially the 2010 and 2012 cMP require one of the following cards to run Mojave:
- MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560
- Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580


I've seen several reports stating that the 7950 (and 7970) are not recognized by Mojave. For now at least. Hopefully this will change come the official release!

Hi guys,

to make that clear:
We are running 2 cMP 5,1 with Sapphire HD 7950 GPUs.
I bought 3 of them (they are PC cards) and flashed them with the ATI tool.
They show the bootscreen and are running 3 displays under Mojave.


Cheers
Maik
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump