The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription? DAW Software
View Poll Results: Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription?
Yes (standard/non-HD)
101 Votes - 23.43%
No but I'll reinstate someday (standard/non-HD)
52 Votes - 12.06%
No and I'm not planning to come back/switched DAWs. (standard/non-HD)
73 Votes - 16.94%
Yes (ultimate/HD)
100 Votes - 23.20%
No but I'll reinstate someday (ultimate/HD)
41 Votes - 9.51%
No and I'm not planning to come back/switched DAWs. (ultimate/HD)
35 Votes - 8.12%
I'm on a monthly rental plan
16 Votes - 3.71%
I'm on a yearly rental plan
13 Votes - 3.02%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th June 2018
Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription?

Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription?

Curious to see how my fellow gearslutz are handling this.

Mark you answer on the poll and discuss.

PS: I'm taking a break and skipped renewing my upgrade sub for this year, have more than enough features on 2018 and don't see Avid adding anything I really want in the upcoming years, but I'm not closing the door just yet. Will comeback at some point, hopefully they can throw me a bone and offer some discount or other enticement when I reinstate my sub.
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Head

Waste of money.

I am a big proponent of not updating OS and Pro Tools versions just because a newer one exists. I am on PT HD 12.6.1 and Mac OS 10.12.2. I am not going to change this at all for as long as I can. I want the comfort of knowing that everything is going to work tomorrow morning when i wake up to go to work the same that it did today when I woke up.

For instance, there's one guy I work with who still runs PT9 because he has the complete production toolkit and moving to HD to keep his surround funcionality is too cost prohibitive. This guy does some of the best work I have seen/heard in a very long time.

If he can rock PT 9 to this day, I say i can rock my OS/PT combo until at least 2022 or so at the very least.
Old 12th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post

I am a big proponent of not updating OS and Pro Tools versions just because a newer one exists. I am on PT HD 12.6.1 and Mac OS 10.12.2. I am not going to change this at all for as long as I can. I want the comfort of knowing that everything is going to work tomorrow morning when i wake up to go to work the same that it did today when I woke up.
Similar situation here, I've "frozen" my rig on MacOS 10.12.6 and PT 2018.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Damn I guess im the only Ultimate HD guy. But I will say right now im looking for the most stable version and I think im done. Im just waiting to put it thru its paces friday and if it works ill stay put.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Still running HD10 so I can run my Pro Control (thanks Avid). PT11 had too many issues (especially video) and 12 was not much better.
I was on the support plan until PT12.5 then dropped it, no point paying Avid for the privilege of beta testing for them.
Waiting on Paul Neyrinck's V Control with support for the Pro Control then may re-up. I hear the current version of PT is ok.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Mavericks and PT10 here.
Everything is fine.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac

For PT Standard/Native, the newer versions add value, like track freeze -- something that isn't really needed as much for HD users. I honestly don't know how people used PT Native/Standard prior to version 12.

Track presets are probably the biggest incentive for 2018. I know there are workarounds for that as well.
Old 14th June 2018
Engagement Manager

I have a few HD/HDX systems running 12.6 and a few still on the last version of 11
They have all lapsed now and I have no plans to re-subscribe
Old 14th June 2018
No, it's too expensive.
But companies handicap you in an attempt to force you to upgrade.
I've always been able to drop audio into PT11 for editing, mastering.
But I changed an old iMac for a new Powerbook a few weeks ago, and although I can still use PT11, I can no longer import audio. Avid support actually confirmed this.
Old 14th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
No, it's too expensive.
But companies handicap you in an attempt to force you to upgrade.
I've always been able to drop audio into PT11 for editing, mastering.
But I changed an old iMac for a new Powerbook a few weeks ago, and although I can still use PT11, I can no longer import audio. Avid support actually confirmed this.
Wow, this is bad.

Is it fixable somehow (without a PT update/upgrade) or will you have to roll with it?
Old 14th June 2018
According to our research, including calling PT Support, it's unfixable. This is on MacOS High Sierra.
It's like a designed obsolescence.
The audio comes back sounding bit crushed, wrong sample rate etc.
The only way you can import audio once you've upgraded to the latest Mac OS is by upgrading to the latest version of PT.

I can still import audio fine in Logic or Ableton Live, just not PT 11.3
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac

If I had Ultimate, I'm not sure, probably. But as I'm on "standard" PT, $99 a year is no-brainer.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
According to our research, including calling PT Support, it's unfixable. This is on MacOS High Sierra.
The only way you can import audio once you've upgraded to the latest Mac OS is by upgrading to the latest version of PT.

You probably have tried all this, but thought i would ask just in case.
Have you tried dragging the audio in from the workspace and/or the finder? I had an issue with a PT 12 rig once that wouldn't let me import audio using the import audio command - wasn't the same issue you are describing. I would get error messages instead of it being imported and having distortions. I couldn't even get it into the session. But it worked if I dragged the files in from workspace and Finder. So it's worth a shot.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

This error right?

Could not complete the Import Audio command because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/Code/203409/ProTools/NewFileLibs/Cfd/MacOS/Cfd_ImportAudioDialogMacOS.mm", line 607.

Interestingly enough I just ran into the same problem and i'm livid. I had subbed for years and they barely gave me anything. Few days ago I upgraded my OS like a dummy on ALL my computers and today I am getting that error. *You can drag and drop audio into PT and it will playback... but then I try to instantiate some plugins and wont insert. So, I had a support plan up til 12.8 and apparently High Sierra support only starts at 12.83 . OK, so I go to my account and yep... can't even upgrade it has been past 30 days so that's $300 bucks. Thank God I'm not HD. Live Support is unavailable too... ya last straw for me being a customer of theirs. I'm just lucky project isn't too time sensitive so I'm just going to rollback one mac to Sierra.

On top of that there goes the ability to use some of my favorite tools ala L2007.

Personally I think it's unethical to brick software like this. :MiddleFinger:
Old 15th June 2018
This is a new issue for me.
Yes, in PT11.3 I could never use the import audio command - always getting an error message. But I could drag audio from somewhere and drop it on audio tracks. In High Sierra in PT11.3 you drop the audio, it looks fine, but on playback the audio is corrupted, sounds bit crushed.
Avid support confirmed yes, that’s right.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear
I'm in the school of "buy a stable version, used, and run it until the computer dies." Running ProTools 10HD. It's unlikely I will ever get on a money treadmill like a software subscription plan.
Old 17th June 2018
Here for the gear
Hmm, I guess I'm a different kinda nut then. I have been using Pro Tools since 2011, and I have not once hated it, or Avid. Yeah, the PT9 thru 10 I started with had issues, crashed a lot but (fortunately for me, not in a "lose everything I worked on all day" spot). When PT11 came out with the x64 support, I have not had one hiccup since that wasn't Windows OS's fault (don't roll your eyes at me, I have an iMac too but I do 99% of my day job on Windows so it's just easier) :D

As for the subscription model... I was paying $299/yr for "cross-grade" and from where I stand, $99/yr is a bit cheaper than that. So, as an Avid fan, supporter of Pro Tools 12.whatever, thank you for reminding me my sub is about to expire in July

PS: I read DUC, so I know PT has been a nightmare for many of you for decades, so I do not mean to imply the hate is not valid heh. Just telling my story, I came along at a good time I suppose.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I’m not defending Avid, but it sounds like the problem is you are trying to use High Sierra (which introduces a new file system) with a version of Pro Tools that was initially designed for Mavericks (four generations back if anyone is counting anymore, soon to be 5?). Understanding you bought a new computer with it preinstalled...but this is hardly Avid’s fault.

The designed obsolescence argument is better thrown at Apple who are famous for just completely dumping something with every OS update. Not to be making an Apple argument...my main workstation is a Mac Pro...but I’m very careful about software updates because of this exact scenario.

In your case if paying to update your software after spending $$$$ on a new computer is inconceivable, I would either see if the “Genius Bar” can roll you back to an older OSX...or install Windows 7 (Windows 10 probably not compatible with PT 11 either...?).
Old 17th June 2018
I'm on High Sierra beta 10.13.6 and PT 12.5..... it works!
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceeaz View Post
Hmm, I guess I'm a different kinda nut then. I have been using Pro Tools since 2011, and I have not once hated it, or Avid. Yeah, the PT9 thru 10 I started with had issues, crashed a lot but (fortunately for me, not in a "lose everything I worked on all day" spot). When PT11 came out with the x64 support, I have not had one hiccup since that wasn't Windows OS's fault (don't roll your eyes at me, I have an iMac too but I do 99% of my day job on Windows so it's just easier) :D

As for the subscription model... I was paying $299/yr for "cross-grade" and from where I stand, $99/yr is a bit cheaper than that. So, as an Avid fan, supporter of Pro Tools 12.whatever, thank you for reminding me my sub is about to expire in July

PS: I read DUC, so I know PT has been a nightmare for many of you for decades, so I do not mean to imply the hate is not valid heh. Just telling my story, I came along at a good time I suppose.
Oh yeah PT now is IMHO so much better than past versions...some of 6, 7, slipped past 8... 9...10 was a real stinker I thought, 11 a little bit. But now it’s pretty solid. I seem to buy a renewal for like $79 which is pretty fair compared to what Adobe and other companies want.

Though I’m real tempted to dump my Mac Pro after switching teams about 8 years ago, and go back to Windows. Just unplug it from the internet so it doesn’t ever try to download updates in the background.
Old 17th June 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Though I’m real tempted to dump my Mac Pro after switching teams about 8 years ago, and go back to Windows.
I'm not here to sell Windows products, but as a hater since Vista (vomit), Windows 10 + PT12 == zero issues, runs smooth, resources galore (even on my old i7-2600K, 12GB RAM + 1TB SSD) so I have no complaints. Anyway, sorry to derail.
Old 17th June 2018
nkf
Lives for gear

Subscription (only) plans stopped me buying anything more from Adobe, then from Avid. My main DAW is Steinberg Nuendo anyway and Pro Tools is necessary for old projects or delivery from and to Pro Tools formats. Subscriptions (only) are a nasty way to milk the customers if it is not just an option.
Old 17th June 2018
Quote:
I’m not defending Avid, but it sounds like the problem is you are trying to use High Sierra (which introduces a new file system) with a version of Pro Tools that was initially designed for Mavericks (four generations back if anyone is counting anymore, soon to be 5?). Understanding you bought a new computer with it preinstalled...but this is hardly Avid’s fault.

It also doesn't work with my friend's PT12.3 (I think it is).

Quote:
The designed obsolescence argument is better thrown at Apple who are famous for just completely dumping something with every OS update.
Yes, I agree, although I would point out my latest version of Ableton Live 10 works fine.
Old 17th June 2018
Quote:
I seem to buy a renewal for like $79 which is pretty fair compared to what Adobe and other companies want.
I have so far avoided all subscription models, preferring to outright buy everything.
In order to upgrade to the latest PT I have to pay £284. then maintaining PT is I think £78 a year (more than $79, which is usually the case for us Brits).
It's not even my main DAW. It's handy because every commercial studio we work at has Pro Tools. I use Pro Tools sparingly throughout the year. Because I'm also a performing/touring musician, I would say PT makes up about 10% of what I do each year.
I can see if it's your daily or even weekly tool, $79 is not much to pay.
Old 17th June 2018
Gear Guru

I don't use PT but I noticed on a switch to MacOS HS that an Automator service I made, which converted Audio files into WAVs, I couldn't get working in HS any longer. it was because Automator uses certain MacOS (services) and those are often part elements of other MacOS applications like Soundtrack Pro or Loop Utility. so I think what can happen is, as a MacOS application is deprecated, you can lose functions associated with the service which that application offers up to the OS. in this case, converting from and into other Audio file types.

so if a third party vendor uses those services and an apple OS drops an application or eventually its service component, then the function of that service could stop. so it could be that Avid used a service for import which HS now deprecated.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It also doesn't work with my friend's PT12.3 (I think it is).

Yes, I agree, although I would point out my latest version of Ableton Live 10 works fine.
It’s tough to make this comparison fairly because PT 12.3 came out 2 years before High Sierra whereas Ableton Live 10 is basically new. Was live 10 not a $300 upgrade itself?
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have so far avoided all subscription models, preferring to outright buy everything.
In order to upgrade to the latest PT I have to pay £284. then maintaining PT is I think £78 a year (more than $79, which is usually the case for us Brits).
It's not even my main DAW. It's handy because every commercial studio we work at has Pro Tools. I use Pro Tools sparingly throughout the year. Because I'm also a performing/touring musician, I would say PT makes up about 10% of what I do each year.
I can see if it's your daily or even weekly tool, $79 is not much to pay.
You could just pay $300 once to get your PT updated and let it lapse again...and pay $300 again a few years from now when Apple breaks it again. This is in essence no different than what most users were doing anyway...I would never pay $300 every year for PT updates so I would only do it when I had to. So $99 or $79 (they run these sales a couple times a year) per year is no more than I would have spent before but the difference is that Avid has been adding a lot more to vanilla PT than before.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
Subscription (only) plans stopped me buying anything more from Adobe, then from Avid. My main DAW is Steinberg Nuendo anyway and Pro Tools is necessary for old projects or delivery from and to Pro Tools formats. Subscriptions (only) are a nasty way to milk the customers if it is not just an option.
Pro Tools is not “only” subscription only. This is a big difference from Adobe’s strategy.

When you buy the “perpetual” version you get a year of updates and after that you can choose to let it lapse and it will continue to work forever. The only time you will have a problem is if you choose to upgrade your OS and/or computer and something becomes incompatible with your version of Pro Tools.
Old 17th June 2018
nkf
Lives for gear

It IS subscription only as you don't have a possibility to upgrade when you want, you have to buy a new license AFAIK when you don't pay your subscription. Or did that change? I stopped with a 12.4. PT and a PT9 HD on another machine for surround work.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
It IS subscription only as you don't have a possibility to upgrade when you want, you have to buy a new license AFAIK when you don't pay your subscription. Or did that change? I stopped with a 12.4. PT and a PT9 HD on another machine for surround work.
No, if you let a perpetual plan lapse you will have to pay $299 to reinstate it.

A subscription plan would mean that the software quits working when your plan lapses, like what happens with Adobe, Eastwest, etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search