The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription? DAW Software
View Poll Results: Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription?
Yes (standard/non-HD)
100 Votes - 23.26%
No but I'll reinstate someday (standard/non-HD)
52 Votes - 12.09%
No and I'm not planning to come back/switched DAWs. (standard/non-HD)
73 Votes - 16.98%
Yes (ultimate/HD)
100 Votes - 23.26%
No but I'll reinstate someday (ultimate/HD)
41 Votes - 9.53%
No and I'm not planning to come back/switched DAWs. (ultimate/HD)
35 Votes - 8.14%
I'm on a monthly rental plan
16 Votes - 3.72%
I'm on a yearly rental plan
13 Votes - 3.02%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanzor View Post
just here to point out that Mojave was released over 6 months ago now and PT ("industry standard") is still not officially supported.

lol
why do you need a young and not yet debugged OS for your work ?
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear

Pro tools 10HD is worth upgrading to if you’re on pt9 HD. U get disk cache which is VERY needed for editing speed.
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear

My maxed out apogee pro tools hd 10 system is the best spec/value for professional studios apnd PT->analog mixers.

It would cost me a FORTUNE to upgrade and keep the same I/o count.

I ran a commercial facility until very recently and never had ANYONE complain that I wasn’t on HDX or pro tools 12.
Old 8th April 2019
Pro Tools and diminishing returns

I've been using Pro Tools since Sound Tools in 1991. It is IMO the best audio DAW out there and I own/ use most everything. However, looking back over my investment in money and time in this DAW, I get the feeling that things could have been done differently in regards to hardware and software updates and migration. I think that some of this can be attributed to the ever changing Apple OS, but considering the number of times that support has ceased for Digidesign/ Avid hardware and software, my money may have been better spent with another DAW and platform. Were it not for Pro Tools being an industry standard and accepted platform for film and post, I would certainly be happier and richer sticking with another DAW. As it stands, I still mix a lot in Pr Tools 12 HD, but my DAW of choice is Cubase 10 Pro and I have been forcing myself to do complete production here. Take a minute to look back on how much money you have spent on Pro tools!
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalC View Post
why do you need a young and not yet debugged OS for your work ?
New computer purchase that can’t be downgraded past Mojave.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by forjam View Post
I've been using Pro Tools since Sound Tools in 1991. It is IMO the best audio DAW out there and I own/ use most everything. However, looking back over my investment in money and time in this DAW, I get the feeling that things could have been done differently in regards to hardware and software updates and migration. I think that some of this can be attributed to the ever changing Apple OS, but considering the number of times that support has ceased for Digidesign/ Avid hardware and software, my money may have been better spent with another DAW and platform. Were it not for Pro Tools being an industry standard and accepted platform for film and post, I would certainly be happier and richer sticking with another DAW. As it stands, I still mix a lot in Pr Tools 12 HD, but my DAW of choice is Cubase 10 Pro and I have been forcing myself to do complete production here. Take a minute to look back on how much money you have spent on Pro tools!
PT costs a lot of money but it's still the best one for recording.
I had dozens of DAWS. it's the best one. cubase is one of the worst for recording. and unstable.
If you don't want PT anymore you 'd better take samplitude pro. not cubase.
tried SO but couldn't as the daw looks bad, and has some of the cheapests instruments and fx ever.
DP is one of the greatests too.
LPX is great but works only on Apple macs now.

Quote:
New computer purchase that can’t be downgraded past Mojave.
Apple tyranny of cool. that's why I left Apple. it's enough I'm done with these cy. i have old macs for LPX but I wont take another one. the masquerade is over.
Quote:
Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription?
answer is YES
stopped SO splice offer and I stay with PT
Old 4 weeks ago
RiF
Lives for gear

I am on the fence. My sub runs out this month and I will not renew.
The updates since 11 did not give me much (except for freeze/commit) and the bugs that I have to deal with each day stay forever (random crashes, key shortcuts stop working mid-session, first note in MIDI clip not editable, mp3 import and video stopped working due to Apple discontinuing QT on Windows).
Having to wait 2 mins for PT and a default session template to load on an i9-9900K/32G RAM/1 TB M2-SSD does not really make the lackluster experience better.

Bummer is that my only alternative is Logic and I had to switch my studio computer to a slow or insanely expensive Mac.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I don't see an area in the poll for what I have.

Perpetual License.
Old 4 weeks ago
kdm
Lives for gear
Sold my PT Ultimate license. Not returning, though I still have a vanilla 9/10 license that will sit idle. Anything I could do in PT I can do faster and easier elsewhere. Not worth the high cost just to say "I have PT".
Old 1 week ago
TJ5
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
I don't see an area in the poll for what I have.

Perpetual License.
I also have a perpetual license for Pro Tools 11 on a 2014 mac mini running OSX 10.10. I don't have any plans to upgrade as everything seems to be working fine with a combination of an old Digi002 as a control surface with an Apollo Twin Quad Mk2.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have a question that might fit in this thread:
If I have a PT HD9, do I get it upgraded to PT HD12 with the upgradeplan for $99/year or do I have to purches anything else for the transaction to HD12?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrouggieSounds View Post
I have a question that might fit in this thread:
If I have a PT HD9, do I get it upgraded to PT HD12 with the upgradeplan for $99/year or do I have to purches anything else for the transaction to HD12?
PT HD12 is now called Ultimate

The upgrade costs $999.00 for the first year to Ultimate ($399/yr for the following years.) Not $99/year.
And if you are coming from PT HD9, make sure your system can run Ultimate or be prepared to be disappointed. The requirements are much higher than 9HD.

I'd also assume that you are using Avid hardware (TDM Accel/Core/Process cards) with your 9HD -- none of that will work with Ultimate. The old interfaces will work with adapter cables but not those cards. You can, however, run Ultimate software without your hardware but you should be aware of the added costs of upgrading hardware.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
PT HD12 is now called Ultimate

The upgrade costs $999.00 for the first year to Ultimate ($399/yr for the following years.) Not $99/year.
And if you are coming from PT HD9, make sure your system can run Ultimate or be prepared to be disappointed. The requirements are much higher than 9HD.

I'd also assume that you are using Avid hardware (TDM Accel/Core/Process cards) with your 9HD -- none of that will work with Ultimate. The old interfaces will work with adapter cables but not those cards. You can, however, run Ultimate software without your hardware but you should be aware of the added costs of upgrading hardware.
Thank you for this! Just what I needed to know!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

My choice: none of the above

I've been using Digidesign Pro Tools hardware in a commercial facility since it was called Digidesign Session 8 system with a proprietary formatted SCSI hard drive. Since then I have used Digi 001, Digi 002, M Box, M Audio Fast Track, Control 24 with Digi 192 in/out, 3 HD Accel cards.

Software includes Digidesign Session 8 software, Pro Tools LE 5 thru 8, Pro Tools TDM 6.4 thru 11. Mac and PC

My "none of the above" choice means I have already paid Avid and the former Digidesign for enough hardware and software to last a lifetime and I don't see any reason to pay by the month for "updates".

The updates mostly change the GUI appearance and the location of items in the options, track, setup, etc. (Was this re-arrange it and sell to them again learned from Microsoft?) The AVID user forum is often another user's opinion of a fix and not an actual fix. Long ago, I abandoned the AVID user forum for tutorials on youtube. My experience is that with a youtube tutorial there is a better chance of finding a solution to a software or hardware issue than the user forum. I also read the manuals.

Side note: why is there no list in the manual for the error messages? Obviously, some programmer made the program so the error message shows up, so why not tell us what it means?!!!

So, why would I pay a monthly fee? For the annoying GUI and update headaches? Or the occasional new plugin? There are plenty of free and inexpensive 3rd party plugins available. Unless I see an incredible fidelity improvement, an incredibly more user friendly GUI, or lots of amazing plugins I cannot live without, I'll be using the hardware and software I paid for long ago.

To me, Pro Tools is like a hammer. I use this hammer to build music. If my hammer doesn't need a new handle, why rent to "fix" it?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsteinrecording View Post
The updates mostly change the GUI appearance and the location of items in the options, track, setup, etc. (Was this re-arrange it and sell to them again learned from Microsoft?)
What this tells me is that you use only the fairly basic features of Pro Tools and everything else you don't understand or don't need. Which is fine enough

Clip gain and clip effects were a major help (and hopefully will expand)
Batch renaming tracks and clips were a major help
Offline bounce was a major help
Playlist comp features were a major help

and I won't even get into the real post-production audio side...

But if you think it's as simplistic as "GUI appearance and the location of items..." it's the user who has the simple needs. The program has grown for those of us where time is both money and how many projects we can take on (and reducing the tedium of repetitive processes.)

Last edited by pentagon; 1 day ago at 06:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Not to mention track freeze, bug fixes, and from the ground up rebuild of the software making it much more efficient a couple iterations ago.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search