The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PT's funny Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Pro Tools did nothing but crash for me. No other DAW I've used has ever crashed so much.

I think it was due to using a USB interface (Hilo). So I jumped through all their PC optimization hoops and... It still did nothing but crash. It was completely unusable. Why does it restrict USB interfaces? That's unique to PT, as are the optimizations. Other DAWs don't seem to have these problems... What makes PT so unique?

As for what professionals use? Ask your brand manager. But I do feel I'm being forced into the Avid system even though it really hasn't panned out for me and I've got stuff that works better, now, and with as many features. I honestly would've switched if it just didn't crash because I'm that sick of the dogma.
Trying to change its program
Trying to change the mode...crack the code
Images conflicting into data overload

[Chorus:]
1 0 0 1 0 0 1
SOS
1 0 0 1 0 0 1
In distress
1 0 0 1 0 0

Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Unit One's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits

Guidance systems break down
A struggle to exist
To resist
A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist
[Chorus]

It replays each of the days
A hundred years of routines
Bows its head and prays
To the mother of all machines
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikorola View Post
yes all daws have qualities, so does protools, no question about that. Most of the music I love was recorded to a 4 track K7, so no matter the tool.

As I wrote I do use protools for broadcast stuff, but it's a shame that they never correctly developed their application for native use.
We know it is for economical reasons and to keep selling their pricey hardware.
the only personal problem I have with this is that it only works good if you have a minimum 10k rig.

In todays music market it does not make any sens. Only big movie/tv production can afford those systems.
Even if I could spend that much I would never go for it as it would be obsolete within 3 years and then hard to sell on the second hand market.
that's been like this for years and that's the reason why I gave up protools in the early 2000, even though that was my main DAW.

As today I own a RME Madi with alpha links and apollos. Using protools with this setting is a pain, it is only ok with small sessions even though I have a very fast computer with plenty of ram and all. I bought the last version of the application and it is a bit better but still the limitation of the basic is really nonsense.

No doubt that Avid company is still hustling in the big movie production world, but the things are changing with premiere and davinci stealing some shares... this is already the case within small independent companies.
Pro Tools was definitely a hardware product until recently.

I don't know how anyone used native-only Pro Tools without the hardware, up until literally a couple of years ago, when they finally added the long-overdue Track Freeze/Commit. They've been making other improvements to things like MIDI and track preset saving/recall, which were other areas where PT lacked compared to other DAWs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigfried Chicken View Post
Pro Tools was definitely a hardware product until recently.

I don't know how anyone used native-only Pro Tools without the hardware, up until literally a couple of years ago, when they finally added the long-overdue Track Freeze/Commit. They've been making other improvements to things like MIDI and track preset saving/recall, which were other areas where PT lacked compared to other DAWs.
Nothings perfect !, but to have it crash on you constantly seems it would be a configuration issue. I'm still on 9, and it's pretty solid, although my graphics card is failing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Could be a config issue, the problem is that there are other programs which can do most of the things it does without crashing. I got that result from many DAWs in fact - Reaper, Cubase, Ableton - so the outlier is less me and more Pro Tools and what it was originally designed for. Those other DAWs also have no problem whatsoever with a USB interface. Again: the problem keeps pointing back to Pro Tools and its fiddly idiosyncrasies.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Could be a config issue, the problem is that there are other programs which can do most of the things it does without crashing. I got that result from many DAWs in fact - Reaper, Cubase, Ableton - so the outlier is less me and more Pro Tools and what it was originally designed for. Those other DAWs also have no problem whatsoever with a USB interface. Again: the problem keeps pointing back to Pro Tools and its fiddly idiosyncrasies.
What is the USB issue with PT?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Food for thought:
I've been using Pro Tools since 93. I also use Logic (writing), DP (playback for touring), Ableton (still learning) Cubase (for when friends come over).
Here's the interesting part, not once in all this time has ANYONE ever sent me a session or asked for a session in any other format than Pro Tools, nor have I ever been to a studio session where someone has used anything other than PT. Definitely not saying it hasn't happened for others, but for me in the last 25 years, this is my experience.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixHitz View Post
Food for thought:
I've been using Pro Tools since 93. I also use Logic (writing), DP (playback for touring), Ableton (still learning) Cubase (for when friends come over).
you party animal, you!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Cubase is the composer's tool of choice on PC, so that would be a professional standard. But in the end it's gonna get dumped to Pro Tools, then 700 tracks later... PT's integration with film is one of its many strengths.

Eh, whatever. The only thing that makes a professional nowadays is how many times your name gets whispered in someone's ear. Talent and skill are irrelevant dogs. "But it's always been like that!" Then it's lineage-based work, not anything resembling craft.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
you party animal, you!
Cubase is the Netflix-and-Chill of DAWs?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigfried Chicken View Post
Cubase is the Netflix-and-Chill of DAWs?

Here I was just thinking it was the chips and salsa of DAWs!
Old 13 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
funny how most all Pro's are using Protools...just saying

ProTools is a product of Avid, which is a decendant of Digidesign. Digidesign was one of the first companies to create a decent piece of digital audio I/O equipment... the AudioMedia card. The freebie product they included with the purchase of an AM card was called Sound Designer. A comparitively simple (by todays standards) 2-track recording/editing program that, for stereo projects, I still use today. I have to maintain a "Legacy" machine, an Apple G3, 1.25GHz running OS 9.2.2, simply so I can keep using this SD program (I've been using it for 30+ years now... sure... dating myself).

SD users, after a short while, started asking for a "multitrack version", very few existed in those days (Mid-80's). ProTools was Digidesign's solution to that request.

Since a Mac II (with Nubus slots), the AM card, and the little "niceties" you'd need to do audio work (a massive 750MB hard-drive, 4MB of RAM) would run you about $3000, back then... only Pros could really justify it. ProTools REQUIRED Digidesign I/O hardware. Top-notch stuff, but very expensive. There was no USB back then. Proprietary interfaces that allowed the manufacturers to charge an arm and a leg for their stuff because there were no competitors. Digidesign held their copyrights very tightly.

Avid/ProTools only did away with the requirement for Digidesign interfaces with OS 9. That's when the party started. USB was available on every computer at that point, and Avid (who purchased Digidesign) wanted to expand their user base beyond "the pro".

But... all that said... that's why ProTools is, essentially, a "Pro" product. It's expanded it's feature set as wide as any other DAW platform, just that it has a particular workflow that was developed over the course of 20-25 years, that Pro's are used to. Kind of a "6 of one, half dozen of the other" situation. You can do all the same stuff with just about ANY DAW program, but if you were raised on ProTools, and want to maintain compatibility with other Pro's in the industry, you go wtih Pro Tools.

Personally, I have had PT on at least one machine of mine for (almost) as long as PT has existed. I think I started with PT 3, early 1990's. I actually was using OSC's Deck/Metro combination (what PT was derived from) for a few years for composing. Fun stuff, back then. I migrated to Digital Performer over the years, I just liked it's interface better, but I was using it for composing, not so much "recording".

I run a mobile 24-input recording service, and have ProTools on it, which I use if I'm dealing with clients that are intending to take the tracks we record to another person/company for editing or further expansion of the session. Otherwise, I use DP, (cause it's a more familiar environment for me) and just export the tracks to some media which I give to the customer. At that point, they have their "raw materials", and can import the tracks into whatever DAW they prefer.

Point is... Pro's use ProTools because it was ALWAYS prohibitively expensive, only "pro's" could justify it. It's always been the top of the crop, what all the other manufacturers were chasing in terms of hardware quality and DAW functionality, but Digidesign (then Avid) were always bring out new "must-have" features that kept them at the front of the race.

Check out Pro Tools | The History of Pro Tools - 1984 to 1993 for a VERY good set of articles that detail Pro Tools history, starting back in 1984 with Digidesign and Sound Designer.
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Addict

I too started with PT 3 back in 1994. Our system cost £19,000.00 then, so definitely a pro level tool. No USB. It all connected using SCSI. The main recording drive was 1.7gb and was £2000.00 by itself. It was not the most expensive system on the market. We did look at Audiofile. However its entry price of £70,000.00 put it out of the running.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search