The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does the new purchase of PT include prior versions? DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does the new purchase of PT include prior versions?

If one buys the latest software of Pro Tools does it come with access to download prior versions?
When buying a license for PT 12 (2018) HD, can one download PT HD 10?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I went to download the previous version of 2018 because the current one is a 9176 nightmare for me whereas the previous version was rock solid. I remember reading that in order to download older versions, you had to have held a valid license at the time of the older versions release date.

I’m not sure if it applies to pre-extortion, um... I mean pre-subscription model versions.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
If one buys the latest software of Pro Tools does it come with access to download prior versions?
When buying a license for PT 12 (2018) HD, can one download PT HD 10?
There used to be a PT version that had a combo license of PT10/11/12 but I believe that has gone away. Why would you want PT10 anyway? The computer operating system that would run PT 2018 won't run PT10 and vice versa. You don't say whether you're using a Mac or PC or even if you have a current version of PT. For compatibility look at this page Pro Tools Operating System Compatibility Chart
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There used to be a PT version that had a combo license of PT10/11/12 but I believe that has gone away. Why would you want PT10 anyway? The computer operating system that would run PT 2018 won't run PT10 and vice versa. You don't say whether you're using a Mac or PC or even if you have a current version of PT. For compatibility look at this page Pro Tools Operating System Compatibility Chart
I'd want 10 HD (as an upgrade) to continue using all my hardware (Digi 192/Apogee converters, HD Accel PCIe cards, 100's of RTAS/TDM plug-ins, etc.) & my MAC cheese grater.

I'll have the newer stuff for future use (MacBook, mixing, Native, newer pug-ins, etc.)
The main thing is to attain PT 10 HD from Avid & not from an eBay seller, God knows selling an unauthorized iLok.
So it seems this is the way to go.
Thanks for your concern & help.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd want 10 HD (as an upgrade) to continue using all my hardware (Digi 192/Apogee converters, HD Accel PCIe cards, 100's of RTAS/TDM plug-ins, etc.) & my MAC cheese grater.

I'll have the newer stuff for future use (MacBook, mixing, Native, newer pug-ins, etc.)
The main thing is to attain PT 10 HD from Avid & not from an eBay seller, God knows selling an unauthorized iLok.
So it seems this is the way to go.
Thanks for your concern & help.
I don't know about getting stuff from Avid but Sweetwater has the upgrade from PT9 to PT10/11/12HD for $999 US. You'll need an iLok 2 /3. You don't say what PT version you currently have
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... the upgrade from PT9 to PT10/11/12HD for $999 US. You'll need an iLok 2 /3. You don't say what PT version you currently have
exactly what i did
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
exactly what i did
You went with Sweetwater then right? They're good people to deal with. What PT version are you coming from?

As to the plugins you'll find most developers have aax64 versions. Be aware that when Avid came up with PT11 they deleted a couple of old plugins and rolled them into one. Also know that there's not a whole heck of a lot of HDX/dsp plugins out there.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... there's not a whole heck of a lot of HDX/dsp plugins out there.
Part of the reason I'm staying with HD & the last TDM version (10). The other is that if I use the new system it'll probably be Native (to mix) - on a separate drive (or partitioned drive).
So I'll basically record/track on HD & use Native for newer stuff or mixing/using newer plugs. We'll see.

Quote:
... As to the plugins you'll find most developers have aax64 versions ...
You mean for Native & not necessarily, like you said, for HDX/dsp?
BTW, PM'd you.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Part of the reason I'm staying with HD & the last TDM version (10). The other is that if I use the new system it'll probably be Native (to mix) - on a separate drive (or partitioned drive).
So I'll basically record/track on HD & use Native for newer stuff or mixing/using newer plugs. We'll see.

You mean for Native & not necessarily, like you said, for HDX/dsp?
BTW, PM'd you.
Yes for non-dsp plugins. Very few developers got on the hdx/dsp bandwagon. The 800 pound gorilla of Waves said they were going to do hdx/dsp plugins and never did; they came out with their own 'solution' of soundgrid. I know that somewheres on the Avid site is a page listing plugins and what supports hdx/dsp.

Keep in mind you may have issues going back and forth between the two systems because of the plugin issue. Also the newer OSX you'll need to run PT12/2018 may not support your old cards.

Responded to your PM.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
There used to be a PT version that had a combo license of PT10/11/12 but I believe that has gone away.
fwiw, my perpetual bundle is still valid for 10/11/12 in iLok Manager. I have a current plan running PT 2018.4.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
fwiw, my perpetual bundle is still valid for 10/11/12 in iLok Manager. I have a current plan running PT 2018.4.
I wrote that before I did further research at Sweetwater. Clear something up if you can - is this for the monthly subscription as well or just the yearly plan?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search