The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools Ultimate... The Worst Version Ever Pro Tools HD Systems
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Pro Tools Ultimate... The Worst Version Ever

I have to admit that the reinstatement from PTHD11 to the 12/Ultimate is the worst thing I ever did. This version is very buggy.

When copying or moving a midi clip elsewhere in the session sometimes it loses the first note/s placed at the beginning of the clip. Obviously I'm talking about clips with events 100% quantized.

When inserting a plugin that has not been already inserted in the session it takes up to 10 seconds

It stops frequently due to the AAE 9171, especially when reaching parts with VI

Sometimes the preroll doesn't work when loop playback is enabled. It counts the pre time but during the preroll time there is no sound.

Definitively the worst version I ever seen

Avid HDX - PTHD 2018.3 on OSX 10.12.6 - PT Ultimate 2018.4 on OSX 10.13.3 (II partition) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 analog
Mac Pro 5.1 quadcore 2.8 16GB Ram

I posted the same thread on the DUC but they deleted it.

Last edited by innesireinar; 1 week ago at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Added my system
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I think there are issues with threads being accidentally deleted at the moment on the DUC so don't take it personally!

I can't help you much but I have a similar system to you and I'm having no real issues with 2018.4 (just the occasional video engine error).

I do sound post and don't use VI's very often but I was doing some midi editing with Kontakt yesterday and didn't encounter any errors.

As you probably know, Pro Tools can be a very fickle beast!

If you haven't already, it might help to follow the optimization guidelines posted on the DUC;
Help us help you - READ THIS before posting! - Avid Pro Audio Community

I'm sorry I can't be of much help but I wanted to let you know that others are running 2018.4 without any major problems so there is hope!

My specs;
4,1 Mac Pro (with 5,1 EFI and firmware), 2.66 GHz Quad Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools HD 2018.4, HD Native card, Avid 96io interface, Avid 192io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 5770 graphics card, Mac OS X 10.13.2
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

They already did it before. Maybe they like post where people enhance pro tools and people who thank them when they fix bugs. Apart from this I am experiencing these bugs since pt12. Never had these issues on pt10 and 11
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
They already did it before. Maybe they like post where people enhance pro tools and people who thank them when they fix bugs. Apart from this I am experiencing these bugs since pt12. Never had these issues on pt10 and 11
I have frequented the DUC for almost 20 years and I can assure you that there are plenty of threads and posts highly critical of Avid and Pro Tools which haven't been deleted!

Unless you were extremely offensive or you were advocating piracy (or something similar), I doubt that the deletion of your thread was intentional.

The moderators on the DUC are very tolerant of posts critical of Avid!

Did you do any of the optimizations outlined in the link I provided in my earlier post?

It is hard for others to give you any assistance if you don't want to help yourself.

I know plenty of people using midi and VI's in Pro Tools 12 without having your problems so if you want to solve your problem I'm sure you can get the help needed here (or at the DUC).

Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I posted the exact same text of this post. But I heard that they do this frequently especially from users who don' t stay on Duc everyday
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I posted the exact same text of this post. But I heard that they do this frequently especially from users who don' t stay on Duc everyday
Not true.

And your thread IS on the duc.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've never heard this and it isn't my experience but I don't know so I can't really comment.

You do realise that the DUC is a Pro Tools user forum and not controlled by Avid don't you?

All the moderators are users, not Avid employees.

Sometimes Avid employees may post there but they don't officially monitor it and it's not a good way to contact Avid with any problems you might have.

May I suggest you stop worrying about whether your post on the DUC was deleted and instead worry about how to fix your issues with Pro Tools 2018.3 and 2018.4?

• Have you tried trashing preferences?

• Have you tried starting Pro Tools without any 3rd party plug ins (just the core Avid ones which will launch even if you remove them from your plugin folder).

• Have you tried disabling Hyperthreading? Use CPUSetter - CPUSetter - Enable and Disable CPU cores - Download This helps some users.

• Have you tried disconnecting all your peripherals and then starting Pro Tools (just in case)?

• Have you tried re installing Pro Tools?

• Have you tried doing a Hardware Test on your Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201257)?

• What VI's or plugins are causing you trouble?

• And again, did you follow all the steps in the link I posted earlier?

Plus I think your 2nd partition OS is not supported due to an issue Avid found with 10.13.3.

Maybe you could try to go back to 10.13.2 (which works fine for me)?

Are you having the same issues with 2018.3 and 10.12.6 as you are having on your 2018.4 and 10.13.3 partition?

The problems you are having are not normal (especially the errors) and many users don't experience them with Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.4 or HD 2018.3(including me) so part of the problem must be the way your systems are set up.

As I said earlier, you may get more help with your problem if you show that you want to solve it rather than just whinge about Pro Tools/Avid.

Good Luck!

Last edited by lae777; 1 week ago at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Incorrect link
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Not true.

And your thread IS on the duc.
Yesterday after a couple of hours it disappeared. I aslo did a search by checking my activity on the site. Why I may lie about this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you’re not actually trying to solve your problem and just created a thread to complain about another forum put it in the moan zone.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
I've never heard this and it isn't my experience but I don't know so I can't really comment.

You do realise that the DUC is a Pro Tools user forum and not controlled by Avid don't you?

All the moderators are users, not Avid employees.

Sometimes Avid employees may post there but they don't officially monitor it and it's not a good way to contact Avid with any problems you might have.

May I suggest you stop worrying about whether your post on the DUC was deleted and instead worry about how to fix your issues with Pro Tools 2018.3 and 2018.4?

• Have you tried trashing preferences?

• Have you tried starting Pro Tools without any 3rd party plug ins (just the core Avid ones which will launch even if you remove them from your plugin folder).

• Have you tried disabling Hyperthreading? Use CPUSetter - CPUSetter - Enable and Disable CPU cores - Download This helps some users.

• Have you tried disconnecting all your peripherals and then starting Pro Tools (just in case)?

• Have you tried re installing Pro Tools?

• Have you tried doing a Hardware Test on your Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201257)?

• What VI's or plugins are causing you trouble?

• And again, did you follow all the steps in the link I posted earlier?

Plus I think your 2nd partition OS is not supported due to an issue Avid found with 10.13.3.

Maybe you could try to go back to 10.13.2 (which works fine for me)?

Are you having the same issues with 2018.3 and 10.12.6 as you are having on your 2018.4 and 10.13.3 partition?

The problems you are having are not normal (especially the errors) and many users don't experience them with Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.4 or HD 2018.3(including me) so part of the problem must be the way your systems are set up.

As I said earlier, you may get more help with your problem if you show that you want to solve it rather than just whinge about Pro Tools/Avid.

Good Luck!
I didn't post this for getting in conflict with Avid about the disappearing of the post. I just posted here the same post I put on the duc adding that the post disappeared. And the reason of posting this here was because I just wanted to share the problems I'm having with this new PT release.

Apart from that I did almost all the things you suggested because I usually do this when I have problems with pt since version 6. Didn't do hw test. Btw I realised that althought I moved and copyied clips aligned to the grid, by zooming to the max I saw that sometimes these clips are off beat. I experienced this many times with audio material, but in this case I know that it could happen because PT is a sample base daw and sometimes the bar/beat could not match the beginning of a sample. But never happened before with midi material. About the errors I will investigate further for finding which VI could cause this. About the OS the 10.13.3 is officially supported. The 10.13.4 at this time is not raccomanded
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yesterday after a couple of hours it disappeared. I aslo did a search by checking my activity on the site. Why I may lie about this?
There was another random post (not a moan post at all) that I replied to that completely disappeared yesterday, but was back randomly today. I think there may just have been a problem with the servers. As has been mentioned on this thread, the mods are quite tolerant on the DUC, for the most part.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

First rule of ProTools, never install the new update of ProTools...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I never said you were "lying". I've seen threads disappear and reappear on the DUC more than once, so I don't doubt what you were saying. I was just pointing out that it was there now.

...when I said "not true" that's because it doesn't seem to appear as frequently as you suggest. I visit the duc very often.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The DUC is less intense than the pre GS days
I bash avid pretty often as I was deep in HD hw etc
Compared to others pt is finicky
I use a app to stop turbo boosting on my Mac that helped w errors
That was a DUC find

to OP
is your mac in the Qualified list?.. i dont always find it real world , more of a rough guide and backstop for complaints.
the -91xx errors KILLED me for YEARS.. thisturbo boost switcher Finally seems to help
my cpu would be at 50% then error -9xx/ this thing lets me hover at 90% and still actually get a trak to fkin play..
sad since Live can do tons of stuff and never hiccup..so we know its possible
its just ye old PT... Buuuut, I think the lastest vers is the best as far as work flow..great features and much more integrated w the computer... Im from 19 years w this and 888, and 192... and HD.. and Now Vanilla native.. the best deal really 99 a year.. still not nothing but do able... instead of what: 400?? f off Aphids.. blood sukers

Last edited by rectifried; 4 days ago at 10:05 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Several days of server maintenance was causing posts to disappear and reappear. There was post from the forum management before they began which most people apparently didn't read which caused 2 threads on the DUC about disappearing threads, one of which disappeared. After the "all clear" was given the managers posted to please let them know if any threads were still missing so they could be relinked. As far as removing posts, I have seen some really silly posts there and here that weren't deleted so I would think that missing threads are probably random.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to admit that the reinstatement from PTHD11 to the 12/Ultimate is the worst thing I ever did. This version is very buggy.

When copying or moving a midi clip elsewhere in the session sometimes it loses the first note/s placed at the beginning of the clip. Obviously I'm talking about clips with events 100% quantized.

When inserting a plugin that has not been already inserted in the session it takes up to 10 seconds

It stops frequently due to the AAE 9171, especially when reaching parts with VI

Sometimes the preroll doesn't work when loop playback is enabled. It counts the pre time but during the preroll time there is no sound.

Definitively the worst version I ever seen

Avid HDX - PTHD 2018.3 on OSX 10.12.6 - PT Ultimate 2018.4 on OSX 10.13.3 (II partition) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 analog
Mac Pro 5.1 quadcore 2.8 16GB Ram

PT has lots of competition, they are rushing out releases to keep up with competitors.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

I would like to see avid spending its time to fix all these bugs that came out many years ago instead of having new features. All my clients who come in my studio believe that Pro Tools is the pro-est DAW in the world and when they see how buggy Pro Tools is they remain mystified. I think avid should take care about its reputation. I hope that this new CEO could do better than mr. Hernandez
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Ultimate is brilliant!

I'm sorry, having skipped all the moaning, let me tell you ultimate is best yet. 3 days of solid mixing, inserting/deleting plugins quickly. No crashes! I'm on a 2013 Mac Pro OS Sierra. Have you tried the basics...delete Prefs and let them rebuild is a first.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

It depends on how do you use Pro Tools. Using it with intensive midi and VI is a nightmare. At least this is my experience. Obviously I did all the raccomandations including deleting the pref etc. Now I' m going back to the 12.8.3. I'm curious to see what happen when opening sessions made/saved with the ultimate.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
I'm having the same issues with MIDI. Two clips, back to back: If I double click into the MIDI editor and start moving notes around, very often the note that starts on or close to beat 1 disappears when I grab it. I can undo it back - sure, but like the thread starter above, also for me it goes away. Also when arrowing the note up and down: Sometimes it jumps in big leaps upwards (not chromatic). Even pressing the down arrow makes it jump even higher in pitch.
PT 2018.4 Ultimate on an iMac Pro with Waves SoundGrid
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
I would like to see avid spending its time to fix all these bugs that came out many years ago instead of having new features. All my clients who come in my studio believe that Pro Tools is the pro-est DAW in the world and when they see how buggy Pro Tools is they remain mystified. I think avid should take care about its reputation. I hope that this new CEO could do better than mr. Hernandez
Pro Tools 2018.4 was released April 7th. It's nothing but bug fixes.
2018.3 from March, same thing.
2018.1 from February had some cool new features, but tons of bug fixes as well.
Sure, they definitely could have done more, but stuff is happening!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

damn, guess I won't be updating to .4 anytime soon!! 2018.3 has been working very well for me and no new features.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
I use a app to stop turbo boosting on my Mac that helped w errors
That was a DUC find
Did a quick google.
Is this the app?
Turbo Boost Switcher for OSX / macOS
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
^^
Thanks for mentioning it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search