The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!
Old 26th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
there's nothing confusing then.. your experiences are the same as mine. If you need to use a reverb at low buffer for monitor, dverb is the only one that doesn't cause problems.

But what I am saying is, that this is a pro tools problem.

In reaper( i hate using it but just did it for the test), cubase and logic, on the very same mac i have issues with Pro tools, I can set the buffer to *32*, yes, *32*, and put 16 reverbs monitoring at 32 buffer, with 32 stereo tracks (or 64 mono) armed, ready to record. This is not possible in Pro tools.

Of course no one monitors with 16 reverbs, but the point is, it can do it, which shows the huge performance discrepancy between pro tools and other DAW..

Makes sense now?

Cheers
Hmm interesting. I should try cubase to see how performance compares.
I used to use it for mixing but i prefer protools now. Might at least try it again for comparison.

On the other hand i'm happy enough with protools performance (after the affinity optimization).
No need to run reverbs and a ton of plugins while i'm tracking guitars over some drum tracks playing in the guitarist headphones.
Old 26th March 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
ASUS motherboard, windows 7 ultimate, i7 cpu, SSD OS Drive, 7200 usb 3.0 audio drive. AISOALL driver (remember my driver comment above)

To make sure we were just testing record and no other problems, I used the same I/O for each track and recorded silence.

Plugins are slate tape and slate mix rack.
lol i only needed the cpu.. that's all that was important.. I have an i7 cpu too.. people from 2012 have an i7 cpu.. i was asking which i7 cpu.
Old 26th March 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon64 View Post
Hmm interesting. I should try cubase to see how performance compares.
I used to use it for mixing but i prefer protools now. Might at least try it again for comparison.

On the other hand i'm happy enough with protools performance (after the affinity optimization).
No need to run reverbs and a ton of plugins while i'm tracking guitars over some drum tracks playing in the guitarist headphones.
my reports are on mac..

Cubase has problems on windows 10 (7 or 8 are ok) and more than 14 logical cores.. If you have a hexa core though (12 logical) or quad it will work great on windows.

AFAIK cpu affinity optimisations need to be done on cubase too with more than 7 core (14 logical) setups..

That said, it should translate still to beat PT, cause the guy that created DAWBENCH says PT causes problems at low buffer.. cubendo does not.
Old 26th March 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
I should also add, this video is on my home edit rig in my home office.
sorry but not once did you show the pro tools performance meter, which is all i needed to see to see how it was behaving at 64 buffer..Pro tools performance meter is all that matters, not a real cpu meter, as the pro tools performance meter gives an exact indication of what headroom pro tools itself has got left and can do. I wanted to see if the performance meter was bouncing around like crazy like it does on mac at low buffer.

64 is also a lot different to 32 but i realise you don't have the 32 buffer option on windows.

I just tried 24 audio tracks with VMR and VTM on each at 64 buffer on my macbook, and no problems at all.. Can just do it at 32 as well, but meters are maxed out. Also recording a few seconds is not a test.. Recording without a dropout for minimum 3 minutes is a test that it's possible.

Try putting a delay based plugin like a reverb, even just 1 or 2 along with all those VTM at 64 buffer...

I also could not tell, as it was so blurry, whether you opened the menu to enable low latency monitoring or not, which if you did of course, would have disabled the monitoring through the effects.
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry but not once did you show the pro tools performance meter, which is all i needed to see to see how it was behaving at 64 buffer..Pro tools performance meter is all that matters, not a real cpu meter, as the pro tools performance meter gives an exact indication of what headroom pro tools itself has got left and can do. I wanted to see if the performance meter was bouncing around like crazy like it does on mac at low buffer.

64 is also a lot different to 32 but i realise you don't have the 32 buffer option on windows.

I just tried 24 audio tracks with VMR and VTM on each at 64 buffer on my macbook, and no problems at all.. Can just do it at 32 as well, but meters are maxed out. Also recording a few seconds is not a test.. Recording without a dropout for minimum 3 minutes is a test that it's possible.

Try putting a delay based plugin like a reverb, even just 1 or 2 along with all those VTM at 64 buffer...

I also could not tell, as it was so blurry, whether you opened the menu to enable low latency monitoring or not, which if you did of course, would have disabled the monitoring through the effects.
Right....I’ll see what I can do later. Low Latency Monitoring was disabled.
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

So since this little optimization helped me a lot i made my friend help me make a powershell script that will make this automatic for all of us.
Please write about how this has helped you.
So I was thinking, can you and your friend can apply for a position at AVID R&D in the Protools dept?

Just for one year and help the rest of the world of PT users out
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
So I was thinking, can you and your friend can apply for a position at AVID R&D in the Protools dept?

Just for one year and help the rest of the world of PT users out
Well interestingly i have started learning JUCE framework for developing AAX plugins. So i might maybe have some future in audio programming.

But no i haven't been thinking about applying for a position at avid :D
Would be interesting to see protools code...

I prefer mixing bands more than any of that but you can't make a living out of it here where i live..
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Head

Just finding this thread. After using protools on home built machines for years and being disgusted with its performance compared to other daws I moved to a Mac at home and had been pretty happy. Confused why my XEON pc at my main studio was such a dog compared to my little Mac mini I stayed dissolutioned with the PC. Just tried this and at 64 on a PT native system with a dual 8 core system my cpu usage dropped over 60%. I’m eternally grateful and may just build a pc for home now.
Old 2nd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog orange View Post
Just finding this thread. After using protools on home built machines for years and being disgusted with its performance compared to other daws I moved to a Mac at home and had been pretty happy. Confused why my XEON pc at my main studio was such a dog compared to my little Mac mini I stayed dissolutioned with the PC. Just tried this and at 64 on a PT native system with a dual 8 core system my cpu usage dropped over 60%. I’m eternally grateful and may just build a pc for home now.
It's simply bad coding. It's not about windows.
I have sucesfully gotten my lenovo P50 to be a transparent tool while i'm mixing.
It's running smooth, not creating problems. All i'm thinking about is the music.
Considering i'm very used to windows and considering all the apple limitations and rules... i would never switch to a mac.

I call this personal preference. But it does seem to me that people sacrifice their wallets and luxuries like flexibility, repairability and upgradeability just to get a plug and play machine so they go mac.

Which i still don't consider the best option. You should invest time in learning and optimizing your hardware if you want to end up with the most comfortable working setup.

Otherwise, you will be stuck with many disadvanteges of the platform you are working on. Without being aware of it.
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Head

I realize it’s bad coding. I used PC’s for all my home studio Daws from 96 till about 2013. Did all the optimizations and whatnot. Used Macs in the commercial studio from 20001 to 2013. PT always seemed to run best on a Mac. In the past a Digidesign coder told me in confidence that the pc version was never coded as well as the Mac version. I’m pretty much platform agnostic. We use PCs at our current facility because I interface with a bunch of Avid Composers all on PC, including a video satellite. I couldn’t believe how much my Mac mini was kicking the 16 core HP, but this little bat file fixed it. It did act weird at 32, errors and stops. But 64 is working like a charm. I get better cpu level at 64 than 1024. Thank you!

Quote:
It's simply bad coding. It's not about windows.
I have sucesfully gotten my lenovo P50 to be a transparent tool while i'm mixing.
It's running smooth, not creating problems. All i'm thinking about is the music.
Considering i'm very used to windows and considering all the apple limitations and rules... i would never switch to a mac.

I call this personal preference. But it does seem to me that people sacrifice their wallets and luxuries like flexibility, repairability and upgradeability just to get a plug and play machine so they go mac.

Which i still don't consider the best option. You should invest time in learning and optimizing your hardware if you want to end up with the most comfortable working setup.

Otherwise, you will be stuck with many disadvanteges of the platform you are working on. Without being aware of it.
Old 9th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by botw View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

In our studio we have a brand new custom built PC that has hardly been able to run Pro Tools without error since we got it. This is a screaming Beast of a machine: Asus x299 Prime-A motherboard, Samsung EVO 850 SSD boot Drive, 64 gb of DDR4 RAM, an additional 1tb drive for audio and samples, Focusrite RedNet PCIeR card to interface with our RedNet gear, and a Universal Audio Apollo 8p. We could most of the time record okay at 2048 sample buffer size, but many times we would get random clicks and pops. Forget about recording at 64 samples. We also couldn't mix a 32 Channel session with more than a couple of plugins before the system usage meters went crazy, and stall the session out. We were resorting to mixing on our 2011Mac since it was stable.

As soon as I ran this file, tweaked for our 20 core system, I was able to run our sessions, and I don't have to worry about how many plugins are running anymore. I haven't tried recording at low buffer yet, but it looked pretty promising when I record enabled a few channels at 64 samples.

Is Pro Tools really written so badly for Windows that somebody has to come up with a hack like this just to make it work? I just don't understand why they can't put more R&D into it so that it just works. Not everybody has the kind of cash to step up to a Pro Tools HD or HDX rig. Again thanks to the OP for this fix, and the knowledge that you have shared!
I have a new Scan custom built audio PC, similar spec to yours, 18 cores. What I have found so far: I was surprised and a disappointed when testing the machine that I was seeing the cpu often ramping up all the way into the red and getting 9173 errors to deactive plugins. I work in post and so projects are well over 100 tracks with lots of plugins. However there was only a little performance increase because of these errors, over my previous 4core studio machine that it replaced, not good. This was all at 1024 buffer size, forget using anything smaller, it would only play for a few seconds before stopping. So i did more testing and I found that what was causing the problem were peripherals plugged into USB ports on boot up. The biggest problem for this was a UAD Octo. If I have the UAD switched on when I boot the machine then pro tools completely changes it’s cpu behaviour and the cpu runs wildly up and down from 20-100% and gives 9173 errors on playback. If I boot the machine and only after os is loaded then switch on the UAD the cpu behaviour is completely different. It’s super stable and sits around 20% and moves probably between 20-35%, no errors even under way more load with more effects added.
I have also found that if portable hardisks or other things plugged into the usb at boot up, similar patterns can emerge. I feel that it is something to do with the ASUS motherboard. The previous studio computer also had an ASUS board and I found that if Maschine was plugged into a USB port then the computer wouldn’t boot at all. I’m not sure if it is coincidence but it seems like a bit of a pattern to me, ASUS boards are temperamental with various usb devices attached at boot up. It could be there is a setting in the bios that would help, I haven’t tested or dug into looking into that as yet, but the only way for me to work so far is to switch on everything only after the os has loaded.

Just to note that the Octo needs to be switched off from cold boot. If at anytime the computer was booted with the Octo switched on, the only way to fix the cpu issues is to switch off all the power to the computer, then cold boot without the Octo switched on.
Old 12th April 2018
Quote:
of course, that's what I am saying with the apollo.. it's the only way i can monitor through effects at reasonable latency, and there is no cpu hit...

If i were monitoring through pro tools itself, through core audio and native aax effects, it would be a nightmare at 64 buffer let alone impossible at 32, as i like to monitor a;; 32 live inputs at one time (70 with my 2 analog desks included).

128 is the only usable buffer for me and that is far too high for monitoring, hence, the apollo solution.
Are you using the Virtual Returns in the UAD Console for FX? The latency of using plugins like the UAD API 2500 on a channel strip in Pro Tools is nuts. I'm running my Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 (VEP6 Server) returns to the virtual channels, and using the auxiliary channels within the UAD console to run the reverbs: the EMT-140 and the Lexicon 224. It seems to be the only way to run a buffer of 128. FWIW, the three VEP6 instances are running on a second 6,2 Mac mini via ethernet. I suppose the Mini 6,2 is fine for audio, but it has a real hard time running Slate Drums or UVI Instruments, let alone the VSL stuff. Maybe I should've kept that 2013 Mac Pro.
Old 13th April 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesPDX View Post
Are you using the Virtual Returns in the UAD Console for FX? The latency of using plugins like the UAD API 2500 on a channel strip in Pro Tools is nuts. I'm running my Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 (VEP6 Server) returns to the virtual channels, and using the auxiliary channels within the UAD console to run the reverbs: the EMT-140 and the Lexicon 224. It seems to be the only way to run a buffer of 128. FWIW, the three VEP6 instances are running on a second 6,2 Mac mini via ethernet. I suppose the Mini 6,2 is fine for audio, but it has a real hard time running Slate Drums or UVI Instruments, let alone the VSL stuff. Maybe I should've kept that 2013 Mac Pro.
huh? I meant monitoring my live external stuff through console prior recording into PT. That's all I was talking about rather than monitoring through PT itself which my macs can't handle at low buffer, like they can with Logic (for example).
Old 16th April 2018
A little bit of added history on this: when 11 was introduced is when the option to set a number of cores within Pro Tools was dropped, due to the big change over to the new and improved Avid Audio Engine /s. One of the features promoted heavily was a new system (much like other DAWs already had, and partially why they have better VI performance) where there was the input and playback domains, and basically setting your buffer was a thing of the past. This isn’t a direct quote but the marketing was something like: you’ve already mixed most of a session, and someone wants to add a track. Well, only the input track would be at the low latency buffer setting. The rest of the session would be playing back at a buffer of 1024. There’s at least one mention to this in the reference guide last I looked. Maybe called input/output buffer as well. Problem is, VI tracks don’t count, aux inputs are considered live input so their out in the low latency domain, any real world session doesn’t benefit from it. Hence why we’re still adjusting buffer settings.

I’ve been lucky to avoid the CPU spike issue on my old Sandy Bridge build. Personally I’ve gotten much better low latency performance out of it after upgrading to Windows 10. DPC on a fresh install was 80us on average with tweaking I got it down to about 30-45. Record with plugins at 64 and never have an issue, generally 16-24, mostly slate.

There is a system out there called Pyramix MassCore super expensive, but it has this proprietary method of hiding cores from the OS completely, and essentially using them as an independent dedicated audio engine. I believe the quoted specs were 768 tracks with their EQ and Compressor with an RTL of 1.1ms(? it was stupid low). Windows 10 has an unused feature they developed for their tablets that does the same thing. One of the guys from the Microsoft audio division posted a little about it on here couple of years ago. Really nice approachable guy. How bad ass would it be if they opened that to audio developers?
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hi

I have reposted this from the Avid Forums to assist others on Windows Systems with low latency...

The Processor Affinity topic comes up every once in a while. I thought I might summarize my efforts for stable low latency performance for people following this thread. So taken from a few earlier posts...

Recent attempts at achieving lower latency while recording a band in PT 2018.1 / Win 10 using a mix of VIs and 12 x 24/96 kHz audio channels. We monitor midi drums (TD6V, Abbey Road Modern Kit), Various Kontakt Keys (2 players), acoustic guitar, and 4 x Vox live through PT during recording. See below for system build details.

With a MOTU 1248 (latest drivers and up-to-date Win 10) I can record without clicks or pops at 24/96 kHz with a 64 sample audio buffer and 32 sample PT output buffer (MOTU allows these to be set separately) for at least 3 hours continuous without issue. Some things that have helped:

1) Use a CPU affinity of ‘FC’ when launching PT ('FFC' for 8700K processors) – this frees up one core for background audio processing on an i7 CPU. This is required on my system to achieve click/pop free operation at low latency – otherwise I get random CPU spikes which will halt recording. At higher buffers (e.g. 256) it is not needed.

This can be achieved on Win 10 with the command line for my install:

cmd. exe /c start "ProTools" /affinity FFC "C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\Protools. exe"

(note remove space before exe to use these command lines - spaces required to post in forum)

> there are lots of tutorials on setting affinity - for example CPU Affinity Shortcut for a Program - Create in Windows Tutorial | Windows 8 Help Forums

2) Minimize the use of serial processing - recently someone on GS was discussing optimizing your DAW setup to minimize serial processing of audio signals – the more parallel the signal path, the easier it is for the program to schedule across all cores (makes sense). So I route all signals straight to Master Output channels for monitoring. I have one send setup for Vox slapback (HDelay) echo during recording for monitoring.

3) Read the chapter on Groups in PT - Groups can be used for level control to minimize the need for Aux channels (e.g. drums master) – left click to adjust the group (like a VCA), and right click to adjust an individual group members level (wow). I have also started to mix more like this and for many tasks it keeps the mix simpler and easier for me to control. Aux channels can lead to extra serial processing ???

I just built the 8700K system linked below - running Win 10, ProTools 2018.1, MOTU 1248 USB, Waves Gold + HEQ, Kontakt Komplete:

System Builder System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW ACX 2.0, Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker Canada - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW ACX 2.0, Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker Canada

If you want low latency, the 8700K system is probably the way to go because of the faster single core performance.

I overclock to 5.0 GHz. Overclocking is trivial (see YouTube e.g. YouTube) and completely stable on my system. Actually, I find overclocking gives better stability/performance for DAW work. I disable all clock and power switching in the BIOS. I setup a custom fan profile in the BIOS for quieter operation. Airflow is important for overclocking. With the Noctu cooler I reverse the normal case airflow to draw in from the back directly onto the Noctu Radiator, and exhaust out the front. This gets the coolest air over the Radiator for cooling. The CPU never goes above 70C when using ProTools on a busy project.

I am very happy with the 8700K. I had been using an overclocked 3770K (4.5 GHz) for several years waiting for a worthy upgrade. This was it. The single core performance allows me to run at 64 sample buffer 24/96 kHz for recording (16 audio, 16 midi, 6 instances of HEQ, 1 HDelay, 1 Kontakt running AR Modern Drums, 1 Kontakt running Pianos, and then other instances of Kontakt instruments as required), and the 6 cores allow me to run many more CPU intensive plugins during mixing. All good.

I did not delid my CPU; it should not be necessary for 5 GHz. Get the thermal paste right and make sure you have the coolest air possible moving over the radiators. I just used the asus overclock profile for 5 GHz on the Asus Z370 Prime A motherboard and adjusted the XMP for my memory. Once it was working, I lowered the CPU voltage from the overclock default until my system wasn't stable in a stress test then upped the CPU voltage back a few mV. Done stable and cool.

Also note, there is a big difference in CPU load (temperatures) between running a DAW with a busy project and running a Prime stress test. On a stress test the CPU temp cycles from 60 to 85 C, but with a full DAW load it only goes up to 70 C max.

Happy Camper, Hope this helps someone.

Asus Prime A Z370 MB, 8770K CPU O/C @ 5 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2 TB Data drive, Gigabyte 950 video card running HDMI 2.0 @ 4K resolution, all USB peripherals plugged into USB3 ports EXCEPT Motu 1248 which is plugged into rear USB2 port, Turbo Mode Off in BIOS, C-states Off in BIOS, On-board sound Off in BIOS, HPET Off in BIOS. Command 8, Roland TD6, Edirol PCR M80, Korg SP250. Windows 10 (all standard DAW optimizations), Pro Tools 2018.1, Waves Gold Bundle, Waves HEQ, Native Instruments Komplete 10.
Old 8th March 2019
Sorry this is so late...

Quote:
huh? I meant monitoring my live external stuff through console prior recording into PT. That's all I was talking about rather than monitoring through PT itself which my macs can't handle at low buffer, like they can with Logic (for example).
Yeah, that should work fine if you have enough inputs on the Apollo. Monitor that stuff through whatever inputs you'd like: Maybe the Line Inputs and save your Unison-able Preamp channels for whatever's special. I do that with a guitar preamp: I run it through the API Vision as a Unison-enabled channel and I have everything on "Rec" monitor mode so I can commit that sound right into Pro Tools. The UAD-based Reverb and/or Delay, etc. is sitting on the two Aux busses.

Hope you got it going after my shockingly late response. Sorry about that! I've been wrestling with a built PC and Thunderbolt nightmares and channel routing in VEP 6 took over my life for awhile...
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I apologize if this has already been stated, but I know that since PT11 on my machine(and everyones that I’ve shown this to) if you close the edit window with system usage window visible (close not hide), CPU usage almost disappears, no matter how many tracks I’m recording or number of plugins/tracks in a mix. I’ve seen 50% decrease in system usage with the window closed. I’ve also noticed that if the window is anything less than full screen similar results can be expected. PT clearly has a GPU issue. Can post a video if anyone wanted to investigate further.
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

RME HDSP MADI with Affinity changes

I set aside 5 of 6 Xeon cores for PT12.5 with my RME HDSP MADI & ADI-648 rig (Win7Pro 24GB RAM). At 96/24, I saw about a 10% PT CPU improvement, less than I expected but helpful. RME ASIO drivers are awesome but a bit of a mystery as I get near zero latency @ 128 samples. 64 samples kills my CPU. At 256, its almost usable for live tracking. At 128 I can live with a steady 60% on the PT CPU meters with a few plugins on each of the 16 record enabled tracks.

Then I realize, I could, conversely, affinity "disable" the PT "dedicated" cores from use by other apps, like Eucon, etc.

It's going to take some experimentation but this script and the knowledge uncovered in this thread have been incredibly awesome. Combined with my "net stop" bat file to turn off services unneeded for recording, things are getting faster and faster in PT. Thank you guys!!
Old 1st April 2019
If you are experiencing spikes on the CPU core zero (1st core) that is causing your PT session to crash or bug out, then try disabling affinity on core zero, this will stop PT from using the first core and that core will instead be used for PC resources. You do this by right clicking PT in the task manager, select go to details, right click the PT exe and choose set affinity, untick core zero. It will reset itself every time you load up PT, alternatively if any of your other cores are spiking causing a similar crash then disable that core using the same method, good luck...
Old 11th April 2019
Pro Tools 2019.x

It will be interesting to see if Avid has put the same effort into cross-platform stability and CPU task distribution across all threads –as they have in adding a voice allocation meter and adding more metadata features.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Head

This is one of the more insightful posts in awhile I have read about managing system resources to optimize helpful real world issues that come up with trying to use protools in an ahem "professional" environment. My only question and I apologize if off topic is are there any similar resources for getting similar results on a mac?
I have a late 2015 5k imac 4GHZ i7 w/32GB of RAM running High Sierra and PT HD Native 2018.3 w/at Thunderbolt Avid Native box. Thanks hackers. I should add that the lowest useable HW buffer is 256 for me. and I must switch to 512 to mix or 1024 if I want to instantiate Ozone. Also I should mention that anything over 256 introduces noticeable and problematic latencies for me. My tracking session includes usually abut 16-24 tracks in 24/96 w/channel strip on each track and an instantiation of little plate and echoboy jr on aux tracks which show PTs reads as introducing 76 samples of latency.

Last edited by modmark; 15th April 2019 at 03:44 PM..
Old 25th April 2019
Error 6101 brings down mighty 8700K 5 GHz system...

As hellish as I find editing audio in Logic X vs. Pro Tools 4.3 through 2018.12, I've never gotten a 6101-type error in Logic X. -And it displeases me.
I never get these type of errors running 6.4 or 7.4 on a Mac Mini PPC 1.4 GHz with 1 GB RAM attached to my 003R while recording 16 simultaneous channels of 24/48 KHz audio.

I really think Avid needs to rewrite the code from the ground up. It's expensive and tedious, but no more so than our sessions throwing a rod here and there. Maybe an Avid executive won't get new Gulfstream this summer, but it's what's best for the entire purpose of Avid's existence: The end-user.

Nobody needs a Facebook plugin in a DAW. Something's terribly wrong...
Attached Thumbnails
Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!-128-buffer-24_44.1-too-much-8700k-5-ghz-.png   Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!-3-vep-plugins-_-last-not-shown.jpg  
Old 25th April 2019
That's what the UAD Console is for

Quote:
Yep! That's what the UAD Console app is for. I don't even use a Master Fader in PT until I'm ready to render effects and bounce or whatever. Take a look at my setup. It works really, really well. There is no perceptible latency, even tracking through the Unison preamps, etc.

I route everything to the Virtual Tracks. Mine are setup as 4 discrete stereo pairs. Please see the attachment. I've made a bunch of circles and arrows that I hope you'll find useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!-apollo-routing-live-recording.jpg  
Old 3rd May 2019
Here for the gear

This post help me a lot!!!! Thank you, man!!!
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Thank you so, so much!

Open project with no plugins not playing back.

10 core i7 custom ADK build on it's knees at 64 with 8-12 percent activity in all logical cores and CPU at 50 to 60% with intermittent 100% spikes.

Bam! CPU sitting at 3 to 5% and all logical cores with PT affinity at 1% at buffer of 32.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Maniac

(Figured this out ... so I thought I'd answer my own questions for anyone else new to this.)

Is the way to find your binary number needed for Processor Affinity to simply enter a '1' for all the logical cores you want to use and a '0' for those you want excluded from PT?

YES!

For example, if you had 6 cores and wanted to use 10 of the 12 logical cores, you would arrive at '111111111100' ?

YES!

Last edited by prado escondido; 7th May 2019 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: Found answers to my questions elsewhere.
Old 3 weeks ago
Buffer of 64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prado escondido View Post
Thank you so, so much!

Open project with no plugins not playing back.

10 core i7 custom ADK build on it's knees at 64 with 8-12 percent activity in all logical cores and CPU at 50 to 60% with intermittent 100% spikes.

Bam! CPU sitting at 3 to 5% and all logical cores with PT affinity at 1% at buffer of 32.
Using even the latest, greatest Pro Tools 2019.5, I've found that no matter how high-spec a PC or Mac is configured –so much so that it will yield impressive Cinebench and GeekBench scores; nothing will bring a system to its knees faster than going below a buffer of 128. Even in a lowly 24/44.1 mostly MIDI setup.

Which is absurd, but something we all must deal with until Avid rewrites its code, and giving their IT engineers free hand in coding in function over social media add-ons. In other words, a baseline that is as good or superior in basic recording and playback stability as Logic X. As much as I hate using Logic X, GD that DAW is stable and multithreaded.

Got full stop today with this setup: It's all MIDI channels with 3 VEP instances, 1 buffer each. See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!-pro-tools-screenshot.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yes. Buffer of 32 @ 44.1 K.

To be clear, this is for straight audio recording. I can record multiple tracks without a hiccup.

At that buffer I can Punch Record without any worry of detectable latency.

Hosting multiple VIs is obviously another story.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search