The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AAX Plugins to get Dynamics Plugins
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Nut

AAX Plugins to get

So I've relied on the Waves gold plugins but since I upgraded my computer and pro tools to version 12, I have to merge into the world of AAX. Since I'm starting from scratch with no plugins as of yet, what's the best bundle to get for the best sounds? I'm thinking either a waves bundle or the UAD stuff but have no idea of what is the best bang for your buck, and what additional single plugins I should buy and when or where is the best place to purchase for deals? Looking for all the classic outboard comps / eqs / tube sat as well as the reverb and delay modeling units and preamp emulators. Not worried about CPU strain as I would be using these as audiosuites and printing directly to the audio (committing and moving on).

Thanks,
Steve
Old 8th February 2018
Here for the gear

I recommend UAD and Acustica Audio. Acustica Audio can be very CPU heavy though. Try their Ruby - D.W. Fearn based EQ and you will be amazed! Acustica Audio is a very good bang for the buck. Once you buy something, you get discount coupons.
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Nut

For the UAD stuff do I need to buy their hardware or are they now releasing just the plugins without the hardware needed?
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Face View Post
For the UAD stuff do I need to buy their hardware or are they now releasing just the plugins without the hardware needed?
You need their hardware.
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Guru

There are a number of great plug in companies, you should limit yourself to just one. I really love the McDSP stuff, I use their 6030 compressor (10 in one plugin) all over every mix I do. I've recently been hipped to Sonimus for very affordable and good sounding stuff. I think their StonEQ4K (SSLish) is my next plug in purchase.
Old 11th February 2018
Motown legend

Waves works fine with AAX native!
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Head

I had the same question back in October when I got PT 12. Basically, after a lot of testing and demoing products, during Black Friday sales I ended up getting various Waves plugins that have unique useful functions (such as Waves Tune, MV2, Smack Attack, F6, C4, linMB, and others), some of the Hornet plugins, and for the outboard emulations I got the 1-year Everything Bundle sub + FG-Stress license deal from Slate Digital. Would recommend to demo Slate plugins. (if you haven't yet) They sound as pretty as they look!
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Waves works fine with AAX native!
I assume that he's using a very old version of the Gold bundle. Most of the Waves Gold plugins are roughly on par with stock DAW plugins these days, so upgrading them is arguably not worth the trouble or the price.
Old 11th February 2018
The Slate Everything bundle wil give you 95% of what you need.
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Addict
If you're using Pro Tools, I'd go for some of the best stuff exclusive to it. Line 6 Echo Farm, Peacock and Phoenix from Cranesong, and RA from Dave Hill Designs. I forget if Serato Pitch N Time Pro is Audiosuite only. Not the cheapest stuff but I like it best. Sknote has some top notch stuff that's all under $50. Disto-S, Stereo double compressor, Ch5, STA-Limit, Dola, Echotaps, all of it really. Hornet Tape is quite good and inexpensive. Plugin Alliance has great stuff that sometimes goes on sale really cheap. For Waves I'd definitely get CLA Classic compressors and CLA signature series. Or at least CLA76, CLA2A, CLAGuitars, and CLAEffects. I don't bother with UAD due to the cost of their hardware and plugins. Not much bang for the buck and it's not any better than native. Acustica has never impressed me. High cpu on a lot of their stuff and high prices for stuff that I again don't feel is better than native.
Old 11th February 2018
Motown legend

I think people seriously underestimate the waves gold bundle.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
The Slate Everything bundle wil give you 95% of what you need.
It looks like all companies are going with the pay $15-30 a month and get everything with all updates. Do you think that is the better move vs. purchasing a one time fee? It feels like in the short term it is better but in the long run you end up paying more. Thoughts?
Old 16th February 2018
Gear Maniac

The Avid Complete Plugin Bundle is a good deal for $4.99/month or $49.99/year.

I'm also a big fan of the Waves CLA plugins.
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

I have been using Waves for ages, own the Diamond (i think) bundle, but I just started using Izotope Neutron 2 (and Ozone 8) and damn if that isn’t a good sounding do everything channel strip. It has totally replaced most of my Waves. I don’t usually use the “automated” features. If I could start over I wouldn’t have Waves at all right now.

Also tons of great plugins on Plugin Alliance...worth checking out.
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

I have the plugin alliance HG-2, BX console G, and BX digital V3, then eventide anthology X, need to upgrade to the new one and that covers basically everything i need.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Face View Post
So I've relied on the Waves gold plugins but since I upgraded my computer and pro tools to version 12, I have to merge into the world of AAX. Since I'm starting from scratch with no plugins as of yet, what's the best bundle to get for the best sounds? I'm thinking either a waves bundle or the UAD stuff but have no idea of what is the best bang for your buck, and what additional single plugins I should buy and when or where is the best place to purchase for deals? Looking for all the classic outboard comps / eqs / tube sat as well as the reverb and delay modeling units and preamp emulators. Not worried about CPU strain as I would be using these as audiosuites and printing directly to the audio (committing and moving on).

Thanks,
Steve
Actually since you have quite a few completely usable plugins already, i. e. the bundled PT plugins And the Waves Gold bundle (with the free version upgrade to run AAX)
So if it were me, I would not run out and buy another bundle just yet. With a couple possible exceptions if you do your own Mastering
The Massey 2007 limiter is IMO hard to beat
Before I got a hardware comp . I also liked the Elysia Alpha compressor from Plugin Alliance
other than that I use the PT bundle and Waves Diamond
Old 8th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss View Post
If you're using Pro Tools, I'd go for some of the best stuff exclusive to it. Line 6 Echo Farm, Peacock and Phoenix from Cranesong, and RA from Dave Hill Designs....
And don't forget the Massey Plug-ins

the Massey 2007 limiter is by far my favorite limiter of all time, and Massey's de-esser is also a go-to. All his stuff is very reasonably priced.

As KevWind said, the first thing to do is check and see what you are entitled to already as an owner of a Bundle.
Old 8th March 2018
Pretty much any plugins from a reputable company can get the job done. If looking for the "best" id say waves. Lots of great sounding plugins that are easy to use, i think they are a cut above every other company in the plugin game. Honorable mentions: fab filter, avid stock plugins (they do the job)
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I have been using Waves for ages, own the Diamond (i think) bundle, but I just started using Izotope Neutron 2 (and Ozone 8) and damn if that isn’t a good sounding do everything channel strip. It has totally replaced most of my Waves. I don’t usually use the “automated” features. If I could start over I wouldn’t have Waves at all right now.

Also tons of great plugins on Plugin Alliance...worth checking out.
I just picked up the ozone and neutron 2 tonight actually. I only got a bit to dabble with them. Do you use theyre eqs and compressors on individual tracks and use them as a plugin that way? Or do you just simply mix from the master wine way it was intended to.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
I just picked up the ozone and neutron 2 tonight actually. I only got a bit to dabble with them. Do you use theyre eqs and compressors on individual tracks and use them as a plugin that way? Or do you just simply mix from the master wine way it was intended to.
I use the whole instance of Neutron, and I’ll use basically anything within it for utilitarian purposes.

Ozone I’ll sometimes use a stand-alone compressor, but on the master buss I’ll use that whole thing.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I use the whole instance of Neutron, and I’ll use basically anything within it for utilitarian purposes.

Ozone I’ll sometimes use a stand-alone compressor, but on the master buss I’ll use that whole thing.
Also is it just me but on the EQ and rest of the plugins it does its so minor its almost barley noticeable.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
Also is it just me but on the EQ and rest of the plugins it does its so minor its almost barley noticeable.
Are you saying the Izotope eq's are subtle? That can be a good thing if that's what you want. I don't use them that often but I do so when I need the smoothness they have. Note that I don't have the ability to split out the parts of Alloy2 so I have to use the whole plugin and just enable the parts I want to use. So much for cpu usage I guess. Generally you can't go wrong with Izotope plugins.

But for plugins to get that depends on what you need/want to do. For me (besides the aforementioned Izotope ones) I like the Plugin Alliance Digital V3 and the Passeq EQ. For dynamic eq the HOFA IQ-EQ is my go-to. I have others but those are my main ones. For dynamics the Elysia Alpha compressor and Vertigo VSC2 on my two buss. Track level there's the IKMM Black 76 and LA2A emulations, Stillwell Rocket on drums. Throw in the FabFilter Pro MB2 and Pro L2 (the latter being my limiter of choice).

I stay away from the Waves compressors as they tend to have clicks and pops when hit hard with high gain reduction, ratio and threshold levels. I do like and have most of the Abbey Road series save for the Kings's Microphone and the mastering turntable plugin. The C6 compressor gets used to tame the output of softsynths.

There's one developer I haven't seen mentioned here and that's Blue Cat Audio. Some neat stuff that doesn't often go on sale. Have most of them and use them when I need their capabilities.

One thing that's been a staple for me from back when I started recording using a computer (Sonar 3 on WinXP) is I don't use a daw's built-in plugins. They're okay if one is strapped for cash but lot of times not the best for serious work.
Old 25th March 2018
If you have 20 bucks a month, you can get the Slate Everything and the Avid Complete bundles, which should cover 98% of what you need, other than really out there stuff...ie. you are absolutely more than covered for EQ, compression, limiting, tape emulation kind of stuff, delay and modulation, etc. The only thing you might need that isn't in there are things like very specific sounding reverbs if you need some really insane sounding stuff, and perhaps some of the ultra-distortion stuff like Soundtoys Decapitator sort of ****. But honestly anything you need outside those 2 bundles I imagine would be very project-specific, once in a blue moon use sort of stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search