The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Command 8 With PT12 on Windows 10
Old 21st November 2017
Here for the gear

Command 8 With PT12 on Windows 10

Hello to all !
I'd like to ask you guys a question : i've always wanted to buy a controller with a lot of functions but was always held back by their price; until i saw the dropdown of the Command 8's prices. I've seen a few people saying that it works well in PT12, but nothing about windows.
Do you guys know if the command 8 would work well with PT 12 on Windows 10 ?
I found a great deal and can't resist...
Cheers !
Old 21st November 2017
according to avid, it's "not officially supported" which means it's not tested. so, maybe?
Pro Tools 12 Approved Audio Interfaces and Peripherals
Old 21st November 2017
Here for the gear

I saw that but apparently according to many people it's fully functionnal in PT12... on Mac. I have no idea about windows.
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Command 8 uses hex codes over MIDI protocol (even using the USB) so if it works on PT12 Mac it'll work on PT12 Windows unless someone really took the time to remove it from only one codebase.
Old 21st November 2017
Here for the gear

That's what i thought but i'm glad to hear it.
I'll get it in a few days and let you guys know; it really came to a low price so maybe this will interest some people.
Thanks for your answers !
Old 22nd November 2017
Here for the gear

Yo

Works great ! Command 8 / Win 10 / PT 12.8.

Also, I just wanted to highlight a very inexpensive path to (almost) controller Nirvana.

Couple a Command|8 ($350) and an iPAD2 ($200) with Pro Tools Control for a relatively inexpensive way to get 16 faders (2 x 8 independent blocks) and access to all the buttons that are missing on the Command|8 (e.g. automation) by using the Eucon support in Pro Tools Control on the iPad.

Obvious to many I am sure, but just in case...
Old 22nd November 2017
Here for the gear

does that work well ?
At least it sounds good !! But are you sure i can find a 200$ ipad ?? seems to be very cheap...

I thought you could write automation on the command 8; what is missing ?
Old 22nd November 2017
Here for the gear

Stap

Yes it works well - they are independent. So for example, you could have the Command 8 faders on vocal levels and the 8 Eucon faders on VCAs.

Yes, iPad 2 in Canada is ~ $200 on Craig's List

Yes, you can write automation with faders on Command 8, but there are no buttons to start/stop/suspend/latch writing automation. The Eucon implementation on the iPad is pretty good. You can create a nice set of buttons for controlling almost anything.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey Hey,
Just Thought I'd update this...It's 2019 and on Win10....the command 8 is still going strong!

Everything still works perfectly.
Old 3 weeks ago
sbs
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 View Post
Hey Hey,
Just Thought I'd update this...It's 2019 and on Win10....the command 8 is still going strong!

Everything still works perfectly.
Hammer, thanks for posting this. Can I ask for a little more detail please?

Which DAW are you using - Pro Tools? Which version of PT are you having success with the C|8 in Windows 10? Did you need to install drivers?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Protools 12.5 HD and you don't need drivers. Pretty sure it will work with the latest and greatest version of protools, even now.
Old 3 weeks ago
sbs
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 View Post
Protools 12.5 HD and you don't need drivers. Pretty sure it will work with the latest and greatest version of protools, even now.
Thanks for posting back.

When you say "pretty sure" can you point me towards examples please?

To explain, I'm about to take delivery of a Windows 10 box replacing a 2012 Macbook Pro running PT 12.4. My C|8 is working fine in Sierra but obviously getting a little long in the tooth and I'll be upgrading PT to run on W10.

I'm therefore looking at my options for a control surface. It'd be great if I don't need to replace the C|8!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs View Post
Thanks for posting back.

When you say "pretty sure" can you point me towards examples please?

To explain, I'm about to take delivery of a Windows 10 box replacing a 2012 Macbook Pro running PT 12.4. My C|8 is working fine in Sierra but obviously getting a little long in the tooth and I'll be upgrading PT to run on W10.

I'm therefore looking at my options for a control surface. It'd be great if I don't need to replace the C|8!
Well I know that 12.4 will run fine on win10 and the command 8 will work effortlessly.

I'm "pretty sure" that if you upgrade to protools 2019 the command 8 will still work, but I can't be sure as I haven't upgraded.

Honestly though. I think it will continue to work fine for you.

BTW you're like the 30th person I've heard about switching away from Mac to PC!
Old 3 weeks ago
sbs
Gear Nut

Officially, support for W10 starts with PT 12.5 but I hope you're right!

As I understand it, the drivers for the C|8 are part of PT12.x, I've not yet seen Avid document standalone drivers (if someone could link them?) and to be honest, with the C|8's EOL at 1/6/17, this suggests that drivers weren't written into later versions. Upgrading to 2019 will be a clean install for me, no residual drivers from a 12.x install so who knows?

Maybe it's time for an Artist Mix?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Command 8 continues to work in 2019.5

There are no "drivers" -- it is built into the Pro Tools how to interpret the hex sent over MIDI from the Command 8. The Command 8 itself presents itself as a standard MIDI device that all operating systems support natively.
Old 3 weeks ago
sbs
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Command 8 continues to work in 2019.5

There are no "drivers" -- it is built into the Pro Tools how to interpret the hex sent over MIDI from the Command 8. The Command 8 itself presents itself as a standard MIDI device that all operating systems support natively.
Thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs View Post
Officially, support for W10 starts with PT 12.5 but I hope you're right!

As I understand it, the drivers for the C|8 are part of PT12.x, I've not yet seen Avid document standalone drivers (if someone could link them?) and to be honest, with the C|8's EOL at 1/6/17, this suggests that drivers weren't written into later versions. Upgrading to 2019 will be a clean install for me, no residual drivers from a 12.x install so who knows?

Maybe it's time for an Artist Mix?
Although not supported 12.4 does work fine with windows 10.

Also the jury is out on weather an artist mix is any better than ye Olde command8 .

I'd give the command 8 a go before investing in an artist mix.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search