The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Routing Mixing Question...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Routing Mixing Question...

I have all tracks eventually bussed to an AUX, which then goes to the 2MX stereo out.

I have noticed that if the kick drum (or anything else but really noticeable on kick) is bussed DIRECTLY to the 2MX, as opposed to the AUX, the kick is huge and sounds great. Buss to AUX, kick sounds tiny. And yes I have plug ins on the AUX but when comparing I BYPASS all plugs on the AUX and it still doesn't sound as big as going direct to the stereo out.

What dumb thing don't I get here??
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I have all tracks eventually bussed to an AUX, which then goes to the 2MX stereo out.

I have noticed that if the kick drum (or anything else but really noticeable on kick) is bussed DIRECTLY to the 2MX, as opposed to the AUX, the kick is huge and sounds great. Buss to AUX, kick sounds tiny. And yes I have plug ins on the AUX but when comparing I BYPASS all plugs on the AUX and it still doesn't sound as big as going direct to the stereo out.

What dumb thing don't I get here??
Hard to diagnose from just what is above, but here are some possibilities.

instead of bypassing the plugins, try deactivating.

Are there any sends on the material that could be causing phase issues (parallel compression send?)

Does the AUX go straight to the 2MX? Any sends on the AUX?

what is the volume on the AUX? is it unity gain?

Are you checking this by solo-ing the kick? If you are switching just the kick to the 2MX but all else is in the AUX, then you are bypassing any AUX bus compression that is turning it down and everything else is getting hit with it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

just a guess, do you have anything accidentally running parallel bussing? On your 2MIX out, turn off "auto low latency" if that is kept input enabled (the bottom delay comp numbers should be blue.) If you have any other input enabled tracks in the routing chain, do the same while mixing. That should align your signals going out.

Also, it sounds like you might be better served if you change to a master fader on your output bus and put your plugs there instead of using an aux unless you are doing some parallel routing with some going to the 2MIX straight.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
just a guess, do you have anything accidentally running parallel bussing? On your 2MIX out, turn off "auto low latency" if that is kept input enabled (the bottom delay comp numbers should be blue.) If you have any other input enabled tracks in the routing chain, do the same while mixing. That should align your signals going out.

Also, it sounds like you might be better served if you change to a master fader on your output bus and put your plugs there instead of using an aux unless you are doing some parallel routing with some going to the 2MIX straight.
I use the AUX because compression changes during fades otherwise.

But I did find the answer and meant to update here, but it's so stupid that it's embarrassing ....

I had a TRIM plug on the AUX that was down -3 lol

Must have been a late night sorry for the false alarm!

Can we have "STUPID STUFF I DID" thread now?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search